The 2012 debates!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 01:29 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:

Funny, you are talking about me not knowing the facts. In some states you can not even vote unless you say you are a democrat or republican. If you say you are an independent, by law you can't vote.

Which states are those? Are you talking about the presidential election, or a primary election? You ought to be able to provide specifics when you make claims like this.

To the best of my knowledge, what you have written is completely and totally untrue.

Quote:

Not only that but they don't even allow independent parties on the ballots in some states. They only have two options, dem or rep. You can't be of any other party. Sure you can write in what your choice as an independent but they just toss them out.

Hmm, this is a laughably ignorant thing to say. Where are you getting this data from? Can you link to the specific state laws that prohibit independent parties on ballots, and tell us at what level you are talking about?

I ask these questions, because Ross Perot was on the ballot in all 50 states in 1992 as an independent. How do you reconcile that fact with the statement you made above?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Perot_presidential_campaign,_1992

You really ought to look things up before posting them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:21 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Just a bunch of tongue and cheek to see who can lie the best.
Some might lie, but I think it's mostly making promises that they 'think' they can keep once in office. Then, they get elected and realize -- maybe due to just plain being naive -- that it's just not that easy.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:11 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Krumple wrote:
Just a bunch of tongue and cheek to see who can lie the best.
Some might lie, but I think it's mostly making promises that they 'think' they can keep once in office. Then, they get elected and realize -- maybe due to just plain being naive -- that it's just not that easy.

And it's not always their fault. Bush had a hard time keeping his campaign promises in large part b/c of 9/11. Obama had a hard time due to the massive financial crash and recession - when the economy tanks, you'll never be able to focus on the stuff you were planning on before hand, Et cetera.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
Looking forward to them.
0 Replies

Nana7

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:57 am
@Krumple,
Yeah, in my eyes they are both full politicians, their programs are only good intentions, can not be achieved after the election is unknown.
Krumple

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:25 pm
@Nana7,
Nana7 wrote:

Yeah, in my eyes they are both full politicians, their programs are only good intentions, can not be achieved after the election is unknown.

The debates are really just a political smoke screen to make voters think they are actually selecting the ideal candidate. It really won't matter who wins the presidential election and it hasn't for probably the last 40 years give or take. Perhaps even longer than that if you take other things into consideration.

I really think the biggest problem is that absolutely no one, not even the media holds politicians accountable for their statements or their positions on issues. Most americans seem to have extremely short memories and attention spans. Mostly due to the failure of the education system though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:47 pm
@McGentrix,
I hope Romney dosnt go off without good coaching cause he an embarrasment when he tries to ad lib. Lso, I hope Obama can loosen up. He always acts like theres a rod up his ass.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I hope Romney dosnt go off without good coaching cause he an embarrasment when he tries to ad lib. Lso, I hope Obama can loosen up. He always acts like theres a rod up his ass.

That's how his advisers keep him from slouching.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:15 am
Gotta say it sure looks like Romney was issued one of the same rods.
parados

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 10:44 am
@MontereyJack,
Romney was born with a silver rod to go with his silver spoon.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:50 pm
It is complete idiocy to say that Romney and Obama are anything alike. Likewise it is idiotic to suggest that a Romney presidency would be anything like an Obama second term on any of the important issues.

Environment, Healthcare, immigration, civil rights enforcement foreign policy-- on pretty much any important issue an Romney administration would take a radically different track than Obama.

This false equivalency is really getting under my skin. It is a cop out for people who don't have the guts to pick a side.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:27 pm
He's right, you know.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:27 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It is complete idiocy to say that Romney and Obama are anything alike. Likewise it is idiotic to suggest that a Romney presidency would be anything like an Obama second term on any of the important issues.

Environment, Healthcare, immigration, civil rights enforcement foreign policy-- on pretty much any important issue an Romney administration would take a radically different track than Obama.

This false equivalency is really getting under my skin. It is a cop out for people who don't have the guts to pick a side.

Or we could be like you and put the blinders on and ignore every fact that if elected absolutely nothing would change except for the worse.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:39 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:

Or we could be like you and put the blinders on and ignore every fact that if elected absolutely nothing would change except for the worse.

What does this even mean? You are not making any sense. If one thing is worse, than by definition the other thing is better. If you are saying that any change is worse, than no change is better.

It is logically impossible (and quite ridiculous) for everything to be worse.

Romney today stated that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. No other US president (or sane head of state of any country) has ever done this as it ruins any chance of the US being any part of a peace process in the Middle East.

This to me is worse.

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:58 pm
The trip was supposed to show that Romney's business experience would make him good at foreign affairs. So far he's put his foot in it in Britain AND in Israel. Nice going, Mitt. World 2, Mitt 0.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:10 pm
I have been one of Obama's harsh critics for most of his term in office. It's no secret he was not my first choice to get nominated, although I did vote for him. I understand that we went into a recession (depression in my view) during the last months of Bush's final term and that there is much to overcome with obstructionist Republicans while dealing with that. I will not name off what I consider Obama's shortcomings now that the campaign is underway and I have decided to support Obama. Romney is so clueless, so woefully lacking, I cannot stand by and watch him become our leader. Obama's critical supporters can wait until he gets a second term to go after him.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm glad to see you finally came around.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 09:49 pm
@Irishk,
The biggest problem are not the promises made by the candidates, because that's typical politics, but that many believe they'll keep them.

Some people never learn the truth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:42 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks, Max.

Anyone who actually thinks that electing a Republican or a Democrat are essentially the same thing...in this day and this political environment...is so far off base, he/she is not even in the ball park.

Unfortunately, I do not think Obama will win a second term. I think the American electorate will actually elect Mitt Romney...and put the Republicans in control of our country.

We will be the worse for it.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
if you stay home we will be