Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's a far cry from the amount FF showed.

Last reliable estimate of DGUs I saw was about 800,000 per year.

The estimate of "a bit over 100,000" was an admitted undercount.

izzythepush wrote:
And you've only got the shooter's word that they weren't killing for kicks and then making it look like a robbery afterwards.

Not everyone is as evil as you are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
There are 1,801,540 legally owned guns in England and Wales, outside the police and the forces ... ( The rate for England and Wales is 3,287 per 100,000 inhabitants)

Yes, but unless they convince their government that they "need" something different, they are limited to three-round shotguns.

And even then there is no longer a right to carry guns when they go out in public.

And their alleged "handguns" are a joke.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(but the latter includes the illegally used by criminals via the illegal dark net)

All I know of this "darknet" is what has been posted in this thread, but I'd be surprised if it was illegal (at least in the US).
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
We have a Parliament which is not hamstrung by any constitution.

And that's the problem with governments outside America. It's the reason that America is the last free country on earth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
We don't need vetoes by a House, a Senate, a President or a Supreme Court or 2/3rds majorities.

If you had all that, you'd probably still be free.

I'd say you needed it all pretty badly, but unfortunately you didn't have any of it when it came time to save your freedom.

And now America is the only free country left in the world.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
All I know of this "darknet" is what has been posted in this thread, but I'd be surprised if it was illegal (at least in the US).

No it is not illegal any more then the open internet is illegal because it had some illegal websites.

It is in fact a part of the internet that just used the tor network that the US government had help created for it own reasons and what it does is allow the setting up of websites that can not be trace back to it owners and allow people to visit the websites in a manner that can not be trace back to someone home ISP address or even monitor the communication for that matter.

With another technology call bitcoin you can do business with these website in a form of currency that can not be trace back to you also.

This had allow people to set up websites in the third world to fight their home governments with great security and also allow the open online sales of drugs and weapons and so on.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 01:59 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
No, Spendy is right, we are universally unarmed out of choice.

Well, if you are happy with your lack of freedom, then I guess you have a lot to be happy about.

But Americans will never accept not being free. So don't expect us to give up our freedom too.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:02 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Thank god repeat thank god for our founders to say the least this is sad.

It sure is. I bet you're itching to do some freedom fighting in Syria except for you being an armchair tough guy.

Don't be silly. Being grateful that one's freedom remains intact does not mean that one desires to be in a war zone.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
you, with your history of violence towards women, and refusal to come to terms with reality

Your silly lies about everyone don't actually help you make your case.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Delusional again. We have ensured the safety of our children. We're far freer than you'll ever be, our MPs are accountable to us. Your Congressmen/Senators are accountable to big business.

No, you are no longer free, and you'll likely never be free again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Not all of us in the USA enjoy being targets. The current culture is against us. As Robert pointed out on a different thread, it is something that will have to phase out on its own, as attitudes slowly change. In short - Not in my lifetime.

Not ever. America will be free until the end of time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:31 pm

"Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
And the deer and the antelope play...."

....but it won't be in the USA because they've all got guns and they like to shoot at anything that moves.

I read that at the beginning of the hunting season, some farmers paint the word "COW" on their cattle to deter the trigger-happy.
McTag

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:39 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:
Well, if you are happy with your lack of freedom, then I guess you have a lot to be happy about.

But Americans will never accept not being free. So don't expect us to give up our freedom too.

Still on with the "freedom" shite. It must give a great sense of freedom knowing that anyone you happen to meet might be carrying a gun.

And after the shooting of Sen Gifford, sales of handguns spiked. That's fear and paranoia, not "freedom".
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I was listeninmg to Ben STein thiw AM and he was spewing the right hand view that gun contyrol doesnt stop gun deaths. Of course he had no other idea in his pointy head.

He was mistaken. He should have said it doesn't stop homicides.

Taking away guns does reduce "gun-related" homicide, as people who would have been killed with guns, are instead killed with other weapons.

What taking away guns doesn't do, is greatly reduce the levels of homicide. The killers continue to kill, just with other weapons.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:45 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Why don't you accept the evidence that our country has a far lower homicide rate than yours, and the main reason for that is gun control.

No such evidence.

The evidence shows that gun availability does not have a major impact on homicide rates.

izzythepush wrote:
The figures speak for themselves, and you can dig up as much anecdotal evidence as you want. Significantly more people are victims of gun crime in America than in Britain.

Does being killed with a gun make the victims "more dead" than the victims who are killed with knives?

Maybe Meredith Kercher is still alive. She was only killed with a knife after all.

izzythepush wrote:
You can go on about how you're freer than we are, but we know that's bullshit

Nope. It's a shame, but you truly are little more than serfs now.

izzythepush wrote:
Next year, my daughter will be spending a couple of weeks on holiday in Florida followed by a year's study in China, and I'm far more concerned about the fortnight in Florida than the year in China.

I hope she understands that she should not give any sign that she dissents from the Chinese government in any way.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 02:47 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Because of how we had been treated by the crown, and because at that time there really was no standing army in this country, and because firearms were needed for survival, the framers of the constitution included the second amendment.

Not exactly. They could have had a standing army if they wanted one.

The reason they strengthened and protected the militia wasn't because they needed it. They strengthened and protected the militia because they wanted it.

They felt that having a standing army would bring the same sort of tyranny that they had just defeated, so they wanted to avoid having a standing army at all costs.

mysteryman wrote:
IMHO, part of the reason that the "gun culture" never began in England is because there was never a reason to. There was never a need to defend yourself against hostile invasions or against Indian attack, there was never the "westward expansion" that there was here in the US, there was never a serious need to hunt for food (at least not in the great prairies like we have here), in short England was already "civilised", while the US was still growing and expanding.

Actually, the gun culture DID once exist in England. In fact, it began there.

England did once have some of those problems. First the Romans invaded and conquered them. Then after Rome collapsed, various Germanic tribes (Anglos, Saxons, etc) invaded and conquered them. Then more Germanic tribes (Normans) invaded and conquered the earlier Germanic tribes. Then more Germanic tribes (Vikings) invaded and pillaged.

King Henry Plantagenet set up a system of militia in 1181 with his Assize of Arms. Our own militia system was descended from that.

Some centuries later there was a bit of a squabble over Catholicism, and the result was the creation of the 1689 English Bill of Rights. Our own right to carry guns in public is descended from that.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
"Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
And the deer and the antelope play...."

....but it won't be in the USA because they've all got guns and they like to shoot at anything that moves.

I read that at the beginning of the hunting season, some farmers paint the word "COW" on their cattle to deter the trigger-happy.

I've heard those stories too. They refer to city folk who come out to the countryside for hunting season.

I suspect a lot of the stories are apocryphal. I can't tell you for sure, though, because no city folk ever come out this way.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:03 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

England did once have some of those problems. First the Romans invaded and conquered them. Then after Rome collapsed, various Germanic tribes (Anglos, Saxons, etc) invaded and conquered them. Then more Germanic tribes (Normans) invaded and conquered the earlier Germanic tribes. Then more Germanic tribes (Vikings) invaded and pillaged.

King Henry Plantagenet set up a system of militia in 1181 with his Assize of Arms. Our own militia system was descended from that.

Some centuries later there was a bit of a squabble over Catholicism, and the result was the creation of the 1689 English Bill of Rights. Our own right to carry guns in public is descended from that.
And you know that from whom?

The Saxons brought with them from here the fyrd, known in Roman times as posse comitatus. Wearing weapons showed that those Saxons were free with a higher social status than others(and besides that, it was a connection to their ancestors).
The Jutes, Angles, Normen had very similar traditions re weapons as well as re militia.

And do you have any idea why the Normans are called such? (Hint: north men)

The 'idea' of having a standing army only arose in the late 17th century in Europe, after the 30-years war. And even then, not all countries did have one - because they couldn't afford this mode.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:03 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Still on with the "freedom" shite.

It is clear that you don't like freedom.

Rejoice then in your lack of freedom.

I do like freedom. And I'm not going to be giving it up.

McTag wrote:
It must give a great sense of freedom knowing that anyone you happen to meet might be carrying a gun.

Yes. It's really nice.

I cannot wait until the Supreme Court forces cities to allow everyone to carry guns in public. That should come within two years.

Maybe I'll be able to visit Chicago again. Their museums are absolutely awesome. But it is not a comfortable place to be right now with freedom currently under suppression there.

McTag wrote:
And after the shooting of Sen Gifford, sales of handguns spiked. That's fear and paranoia, not "freedom".

No. Free people have the right to carry guns when they go out into public.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 03:06 pm
@McTag,
Quote:

McTag wrote:

Still on with the "freedom" shite.
Freedom is what MATTERS.
That is the basis of this Republic.

McTag wrote:
It must give a great sense of freedom
knowing that anyone you happen to meet might be carrying a gun.
YES, Indeed!!!
Freedom means the absence of government jurisdiction.

McTag wrote:

And after the shooting of Sen Gifford, sales of handguns spiked.
That's fear and paranoia, not "freedom".
That is utter foolishness, to post.
Those citizens who bawt more guns
had no fear of the assassin. He was in custody.
U appear to be ignorant of the words that u use in posting.
There is no reason to believe that those customers
thawt that anyone was following them, nor was spying on them.

Paranoia is ego-based.

I have bawt a lot of guns,
but I did so in JOY, never in fear, Mr. McTag.

David
0 Replies