Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

firefly

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

My guess is the moviegoers in Colorado would have preferred to have had one or more armed citizens seated in the theater this morning when that tragedy unfolded.

Maybe there was one, or more, armed citizens in the theater. It is possible that there were armed patrons in there. I'm not sure it would have helped much in this situation, unless they were very close to the shooter. This happened very suddenly, with a barrage of bullets, and also with the release of tear gas canisters that prevented people from being able to see clearly and breathe properly. It was a jam packed theater and it rapidly became a very choatic situation. If other patrons had tried to shoot the man, under those circumstances, they might have injured even more innocent people.

panzade

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:37 pm
@firefly,
A man with a bullet-proof vest and bullet-proof leggings and an assault rifle will not be deterred by movie patrons who are armed with pistols.
We need less assault rifles out in the street. Period.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:45 pm
@panzade,
but, if everyone in the theatre had had an assault rifle, with armor piecrcing rounds, they woulda stopped him right there in his tracks.

I'm just sayin'...
firefly

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
@Rockhead,
They would have needed gas masks as well so they could breathe and see where they were shooting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
@Rockhead,
do they make infant-sized assault rifles?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:47 pm
@ehBeth,
you'll hafta ask dave...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I'm just sayin'...

I get what you're sayin'
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:15 pm
Why didn't the perpetrators' family warn anyone that he was unstable and should not have arms? When the authorities called his mother, she said you have the right man.

While I questioned why babies were there at a midnight showing, the real tragedy is the fact that there is no real gun control in this country and we continue to have a Wild West mentality about guns. I mean that stupid quote about "they can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands " Really ?
mysteryman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
Do you realize how silly that sounds?
You would have had more casualties as everyone else opened up to try and get the original shooter.

Anyone with the most basic of shooting skills knows that if you arent sure of your target you dont shoot.
According to the news reports I have seen, the gunman set off some sort of smoke canister before he started shooting.
He had the advantage, he didnt have a specific target, so he could just blast away, without worrying about his target.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:17 pm
@mysteryman,
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastical.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:17 pm
@mysteryman,
I think you missed some sarcasm there, mm.

I'd bet money on it...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
Again, most likely not.
As I told Joe, the bad guy had the advantage. He didnt have to worry about picking his target.
Is someone else had tried to stop the shooter, by shooting back, they would have been at a serious disadvantage. They would have had to pick their target (the original shooter) out of a smoke filled theater, with innocent civilians runnng panicked for the exits.
It would have been almost impossible to do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:26 pm
@mysteryman,
I believe Joe was anticipating Tico's post.
thack45

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:27 pm
@Rorschach,
I was talking with a guy about this story while on break today. He had just gotten back to work after spending the last five weeks in Pakistan, having gone there to visit family. He seemed shocked as I was paraphrasing the story for him. "I don't understand why they do this" he said. "Back home, every day there were ten killings reported on the news - like clockwork. Every day, ten killings, and those were the ones that were actually reported." He went on to reiterate his dismay at the shooting in Colorado, then mentioned a few more things that suck about where he came from. He sighed and said, "It's good to be back home."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Doubt it. The whole thing was over in just a few seconds - that's hardly time for someone to realize what's going on, let alone pick out their assailant in a crowded theater, draw, and return fire. And to hit the guy accurately, instead of just whizzing bullets all over the place because the would-be hero is busy shitting bricks.

Surely you can agree it would take less than 10 seconds for someone to realize what was going on, pull out a weapon, and figure out where all of the shots were coming from. How many times did the guy reload his guns? If I were in that theater I'd rather have some bullets going back toward the bad guy rather than all of the bullets coming from his gun toward his victims.

Quote:
In short: more guns in the theater = more danger; Not Equal prevention or effective response to acts such as this.

I don't agree.
Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:46 pm
What's up with the shooter staying by his car, waiting for the police? Why did he stop shooting? Well, of course, why did he start? Obviously something's wrong there.

Why were children at a noisy, violent (I presume) movie at MIDnight?

Why was his mother sure it was her son?

Why did he boobytrap his apartment and then tell police he did that? He didn't want more deaths? Unlikely.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

Surely you can agree it would take less than 10 seconds for someone to realize what was going on, pull out a weapon, and figure out where all of the shots were coming from.

No, I absolutely don't agree with this. The killer consciously chose a scene in which there were tremendous amounts of gunfire going on in the movie, in order to provoke confusion about what was really happening.

Real life ain't like the movies, you're not going to be waiting on the edge of your seat for a guy to open fire in a movie theater, you're not going to be able to pick a guy dressed in all black out instantly and figure out where he's coming from. Just an improbable account you're presenting.

It's being reported that the dude had a drum on his AR-15. He probably didn't reload at all, but simply switched weapons when he ran out of bullets.

Quote:
I don't agree.

There's no data showing that public safety is increased by shootouts between villains and would-be heroes.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:48 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Do you realize how silly that sounds?

I have an inkling.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Quote:
My guess is the moviegoers in Colorado would have preferred to have had one or more armed citizens seated in the theater this morning when that tragedy unfolded.

Maybe there was one, or more, armed citizens in the theater. It is possible that there were armed patrons in there. I'm not sure it would have helped much in this situation, unless they were very close to the shooter. This happened very suddenly, with a barrage of bullets, and also with the release of tear gas canisters that prevented people from being able to see clearly and breathe properly. It was a jam packed theater and it rapidly became a very choatic situation. If other patrons had tried to shoot the man, under those circumstances, they might have injured even more innocent people.

Well, obviously I was not there and can only imagine the scene. I did read a report where survivors were explaining how they were urging people around them to keep quiet so they didn't draw the attention of the gunman. I fail to understand the logic where you are concerned that more innocents would be injured if someone had opened fire on this lunatic. I understand that anti-gun folks are 100% anti-gun, but I just don't understand your thinking.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
I lived in Aurora when I first moved back here in 2000. I have been to that theater more times then I can count. My family left Aurora and moved to the west side of town (30 min) away back in 2005 and haven't been back sense.

I lived in Aurora in the early '90s, but I don't think I ever went to that theater.
0 Replies