Information About Denver, CO. Wanted

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:30 pm
Hi all,
It looks as though I may be moving to Colorado in the near future, specifically the Denver-Castle Rock-Aurora area. Nothing is set in stone, but I am in pretty serious negotiations about it. I have never been to Colorado and I am clueless about the area. I want to avoid the same disaster that I walked into when I moved to Dallas. (Long story short, I didn't know the area and ended up in a horrible neighborhood where even the cops were afraid to go).
So does anyone here live in that area or know anything about it? If you know anything about the art scene that would be a bonus!
Thanks!
Anastasia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 1,788 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:58 pm
@Aldistar,
From my experience in moving from Sacramento to Albuquerque, you will need to learn to adjust your cooking and baking for the higher altitude. It will also take your body a couple weeks to adjust to it.

Other than that, I'll let others advise you on the area's culture.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:59 pm
@Aldistar,
Haven't lived there in over thirty years. I do recall that Arvada to the north was a pretty bad area. Denver city/county is actually a pretty small area, and totally surrounded by other towns.

Now that I think about it, I didn't care much about Lakewood to the west, but a lot could change in 30 + years. Too bad we don't have Dyslexia to fill you in.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 01:00 am
@Aldistar,
I lived in the Denver area for a year, specifically Aurora. That was 20 years ago, so I'm not up on the current scene (but more current than Roger). That said, I would not suggest living in Aurora, if you have a choice. Particularly north Aurora can be a rough area (around where the movie shooting at the theater took place, and north of there). Castle Rock is really a bedroom community south of Denver, and it seems nice as I've driven through it. I always thought it would be cool to live in Golden, or Boulder.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 01:29 am
@Ticomaya,
I had a break down in Castle Rock as I was leaving Denver for the last time. This gang of young guys surround me and had the car up and running in about 30 minutes. Now, there's this huge outlet mall, so things might have improved.

Boulder would be a fairly long commute, if I remember right.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 06:39 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Boulder would be a fairly long commute, if I remember right.

Yep, and I made that commute daily one summer, as I was living in Aurora and working in Boulder. The view coming into Boulder every morning nearly made the long drive worth it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 06:56 am
@Ticomaya,
I've only passed Golden (took some photos) but stayed overnight in Idaho Springs ... which is less tourism.

Driving on the 70 on snow (in May) is nice, too.
(And I know nearly all side streets around Denver airport very well Embarrassed )
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 08:33 am
@Aldistar,
Visit Fodors.com forum.
Wealth of information on everything out there is overwealming.
They will tell you all you want to know.
Good luck.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:01 pm
Thank you Eliusia, I will look into fodors.

Ticoyama - Aurora to Boulder is a long way, I had to look it up.

I have heard that Golden is beautiful, but the job situation is most likely going to be in Castle Rock and that would be a bit of a commute. I am very much a small town kind of person. I would live in a cave in the mountains if I could, but that is frowned upon Smile.
Diane

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 11:39 am
@Aldistar,
I, too, know little about Denver even though Dyslexia and I lived there for almost a year when we first got together in 2003.

You should take serious consideration involving traffic. It is gruesome during rush hour, which would make me lean toward Castle Rock.

The only other advise I can offer is to get a view of the mountains. They are magnificent and make each day a wonder.

Good luck in the coming negotiations.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 01:17 pm
@Diane,
Oh yeah, the traffic. I lived there for three years in the late '70s. Went back for a visit before you moved to Albuquerque, and the lane markings on I-25 had me completely buffaloed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 02:02 pm
@roger,
I love Denver. The first time I visited Denver was when I was stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico, and my buddy and I drove up for a short R&R. They have enough for entertainment and good restaurants. Many years later after I got my college education, I used to travel to Denver for Florseheim Shoe Company because it was in my 'territory' within the seven western states, and I remember the main store on Broadway. I used to eat at the Broker, a nice restaurant where they served a platter of shrimp as an appetizer, and from what I understand, they're still in business. I remember several decades ago driving from Chicago to California when I stopped over night for rest. My wife and I visited Denver before our National Parks and Canyons Tour a couple of years ago. Our hotel, Holiday Inn, was just a few blocks from the 16th Street Mall where they have plenty of nice restaurants, and not far from the state capital. We also went to see WICKED one evening, and the show is now playing in our area. For us, a nice place to visit.....
0 Replies

G4Racer

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:12 pm
@Aldistar,
The altitude won't hit for a few days; then it hits hard. I played football my freshman year at CU in Boulder and the change that hit me after a couple of days was bad. All cities have bad sections, Dallas has more extremes; plus you have to get use to Texas in general. A different attitude exists there. If art is an interest you may want to consider an occasional trip to Santa Fe, it also a nice drive. I haven't been to Denver in a decade.
Google Maps shows street views, you can find out a lot about areas local.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:56 pm
My sister lives in Westminster which is Northwest of Denver and commutes to Denver to work. It's an upscale suburb.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 02:24 pm
@Aldistar,
Last time we visited Denver, we stayed in Colorado Springs. Nice place and not a bad commute.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 08:14 am
@neologist,
Colorado Springs is great, and not a bad commute to Castle Rock at all. That said, I've driven that stretch of I-25 recently during heavy traffic, and it was snarled. The Interstate opens up headed north out of Castle Rock, but is only a 4-laner between the Springs and the Rock.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:20 am
@Ticomaya,
Also, while in Denver, visit the home-museum of Unsinkable Molly Brown.
Link to the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058708/

My wife and I visited the museum a couple of years ago, and thought it was well worth the time. Subsequently, while in Halifax, I was able to visit the Maritime Museum with some artifacts from the ship, and also the cemetery where the victims are buried.

I'll also be in Glasgow this month to have the opportunity to visit the Glasgow Titanic Museum.

What I find in my travels are the connections of events such as the Titanic that is not only educational but reveals the history in ways that's unrivaled by books.
0 Replies