Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

Krumple

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I have no problem with assault weapons being used as sticks.

or clubs...

What about sticks being used as assault weapons?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:46 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
very large magazine might put a gun in a different lethality category (regardless of whether or not it was an assault weapon), but certainly no more lethal than bombs.

Clips can be change/replace in a second so therefore smaller clips are unlikely to reduce the average rate of fire all that must.

Yes, but at least it's a substantive difference, as opposed to the harmless cosmetic features that make an assault weapon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:48 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
Almost all homicides are small-scale attacks that could easily be carried out with lesser weapons (or even with no weapons at all).

And they are not the subject of this thread. Which is a massacre of people unknown to the shooter. Had he tried to strangle them he would have got nowhere.

Anywhere you freedom haters make a bogus claim that gun control will save lives, it is legitimate to speak up and point out that your bogus claims are nonsense.

spendius wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
That is why gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.

Try not to be so ******* silly eh?

There is nothing even remotely silly about me pointing out reality.

You may find the truth inconvenient, but silly it is not.

spendius wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
Bringing up the issue of mad bombers is a valid way of derailing the silly claim that gun control will prevent large-scale massacres.

Nobody is talking about preventing large-scale matters. The subject is reducing them and making them more difficult.

Doesn't matter. The reality is that your anti-freedom agenda will do nothing to save lives.

If you really want to save lives, you should looking into banning cars. Preventing car accidents would save many lives.

But then, you don't care about saving lives, do you? You just hate our freedom.

spendius wrote:
You're out of your depth mate.

In your dreams. I'm armed with facts. All you freedom haters have is childish sniping.

spendius wrote:
Your arguments are infantile.

Nope. My arguments are factual, and they decisively undermine your entire anti-freedom agenda.

spendius wrote:
Guns are sexy. That's your real point.

No, my point is what I say it is.

And my point is the facts that I provided, which undercut your anti-freedom agenda.

spendius wrote:
A substitute for being sexy. Empowering Mr Average.

Empty beer bottles, watermelons, pigeons, deer, .... where next. Humans. Obviously. The destructive urge for the smallest effort. Just nip into a shop. Buy yourself machismo. The rootin' tootin' son-of-a-gun tough guy out of a mail-order catalogue.

You freedom haters always resort to bigoted stereotypes when you (invariably) lose on the facts.

spendius wrote:
No effort or particular skills necessary. The manufacturers have made it easy.

You wish. I bet you couldn't hit the side of a barn.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:04 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
An assault weapon is just a gun with certain harmless cosmetic features, so it would indeed be reasonable to compare it with a lesser weapon like a club or a stick.

Go talk to a 1st grade class. A few of it's members might not giggle.

You freedom haters get so childish when you are confronted with actual facts.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
I have seen several posts on here about how the police should be the only ones with guns, how its the job of the police to protect us, etc.

Well, according to many court decisions, the police are NOT responsible for protecting the average citizen.

Here are some of the court decisions...

Riss v. City of New York, 22 N.Y.2d 579, 293 NYS2d 897, 240 N.E.2d 860 (N.Y. Ct. of Ap. 1958); Keane v. City of Chicago, 98 Ill. App.2d 460, 240 N.E.2d 321 (1968); Morgan v. District of Columbia, 468 A.2d 1306 (D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1983); Calogrides v. City of Mobile, 475 So.2d 560 (S.Ct. A;a. 1985); Morris v. Musser, 478 A.2d 937 (1984); Davidson v. City of Westminster, 32 C.3d 197, 185 Cal.Rptr. 252, 649 P.2d 894 (S.Ct. Cal. 1982); Chapman v. City of Philadelphia, 434 A.2d 753 (Sup.Ct. Penn. 1981); Weutrich v. Delia, 155 N.J. Super 324, 326, 382 A.2d 929, 930 (1978); Sapp v. City of Tallahassee, 348 So.2d 363 (Fla.Ct. of Ap. 1977); Simpson's Food Fair v. Evansville, 272 N.E. 2d 871 (Ind.Ct. of Ap.); Silver v. City of Minneapolis, 170 N.W.2d 206 (S.Ct. Minn. 1969) and Bowers v. DeVito, 686 F.2d 61 (7th Cir. 1982).

As far as this shooting is concerned, I really dont see any way to have predicted it would happen.
From what I know, the killer did nothing to raise suspicion. His gun and ammunition purchases were all legal, he had no criminal record, he didnt make threats or act "crazy", or do anything else to arouse suspicion.
Under those circumstances, I reall dont see how anyone could have predicted this, or done anything to prevent it.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:25 pm
Quote:
Gun sales in Colorado have spiked since last week's massacre, The Denver Post reports.
Background checks jumped more than 41 percent since Friday's shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" at an Aurora movie theater. Over the weekend, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm, the Post said, an increase of 43 percent over the previous weekend.
"It's been insane," Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker, Colo., told the paper.
Spikes in gun sales are not uncommon in the aftermath of mass shootings like the one in Colorado. Following the January 2011 shooting that killed six and wounded more than a dozen others—including former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords—in Tucson, sales of handguns soared more than 60 percent in the state, according to FBI data. Similar spikes were seen after the massacres at Virginia Tech and Columbine.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gun-sales-aurora-colorado-shooting-spike-tuscon-161409369--finance.html

Probably not the reaction that the anti-gun nuts would like to see....
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:45 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Congress shall have power To....
....To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

That authorizes a central bank.

Sorry but Jefferson was right in my opinion the necessary and proper clause can be used to justify almost any actions the government would wish to take.
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:52 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
have seen several posts on here about how the police should be the only ones with guns, how its the job of the police to protect us, etc.

Kind of like stating that no one should own a fire extinguisher or other fire fighting equipments as it is the job of the train fire department personal to fight fires.

People without the prompt training might harm themselves by trying to fight a fire after all and should not be allow to try.

An yes the courts had found that the police do not have a duty to come to our aid and cases of lawsuits where they did not in fact do so had been thrown out as a result.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:22 pm
I'll bet that there would be a whole lot less guns sold if the anti-gun nuts would stop threatening to use the government to remove the right to own and use guns. By pushing the issue they actually drive the situation in the opposite direction from what they want.
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would also love to know why a mass killing by firearms three time worst as far as the numbers killed is concern did not get this amount of news coverage when it happen in 2007 that this event is now getting.

The two things that are difference is at one the firearms used in 2007 was not "assault" weapons and that foreclose some of the anti guns groups talking points and two the shooter kill himself.

Or could it be we all can see ourselves in a movie theater watching a movie but not in a college classroom?

Human nature is hardly rational it would seems but it is surely interesting.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:53 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Well, according to many court decisions, the police are NOT responsible for protecting the average citizen.

Here are some of the court decisions...

This is what is known in the legal community as "bullshit." The police are not responsible in tort for negligently failing to protect the average citizen. If you read the cases you cited instead of just copying and pasting the list from some e-mail you might have been able to recognize the distinction.
snood

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:01 pm
I thought this was a very nice thing for Bale to do...

AURORA —Christian Bale, star of the last three Batman films, met at the Medical Center of Aurora on Tuesday afternoon with seven patients injured in the mass shooting that occurred during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Hospital interim president Bill Voloch said Bale spent about 2½ hours at the hospital, where he met with five people being treated for their injuries. Two others came from Swedish Medical Center to meet Bale, who stars as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0724/20120724_032812_Bale-in-hospitalx.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21147699
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:54 pm
Fortunately, all the silly blather about increased gun control that reliably follows the horrendous but rare incidence of mass slaughter, there is virtually no desire on the part of Democrats to make gun control a political issue.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Fortunately, all the silly blather about increased gun control that reliably follows the horrendous but rare incidence of mass slaughter, there is virtually no desire on the part of Democrats to make gun control a political issue.

Do you have a theory as to why?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:57 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Fortunately, joe already answered here. Otherwise, with this single sentence, I'd thought that the police in the USA was just a kind of better traffic wardens.
BillRM

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Fortunately, joe already answered here. Otherwise, with this single sentence, I'd thought that the police in the USA was just a kind of better traffic wardens.

How did Joe answer the question?

Sorry but under neither civil or criminal law are the police legally duty bound to save your rear end and there been cases in high risk situations where they had stood by and allow citizens to be harm in the US.

Mainly in riot situations but also in for example Columbine shootings SWAT did not go in to protected the students and engage the shooters but just surrounded the building for hours, You was on you own in that building.

http://acolumbinesite.com/swat.html

The first Jefferson County SWAT team, a group of 20 people thrown together during the crisis under the command of Lieutenant Terry Manwaring, made it as far as Pierce and Leawood (near the school), where they stopped to set up a staging area. It was nearly 12:00 PM - an hour after they were called to the scene - before they actually approached the school. Only 12 of them moved in, behind the cover of fire trucks that they moved in close to the building. Denver SWAT Captain Vincent DiManna also arrived on scene about that time, with 4 more SWAT members. His son was a student at Columbine High and possibly in the building still.

A request was radioed in for an armored vehicle to be sent down to rescue the injured as the officials now in charge pronounced the area unsafe for medical. The confusion of conflicting reports the head officials were receiving contributed to the inaction; they couldn't figure out how many shooters there were or where they were. All they knew for sure was that there were shooters in the school and people - children - were being shot at. Despite the unsafe conditions, Littleton paramedics moved in to rescue victims Sean Graves, Lance Kirklin, and Anne Marie Hochhalter, who had been gunned down outside the school.

At around 12:30 Sergeant Barry Williams's team of 10 SWAT members arrived on-scene. While Manwaring's team had made it to the school's east entrance, they hadn't actually entered yet. Instead, he split is team in two, sending six of his people toward the cafeteria while the other six "provided cover" for the first six -- despite the fact that there hadn't been any gunshots or explosions heard from inside the school for nearly an hour. The teams wouldn't actually enter the building till nearly 1:00 PM.

From the sidelines, news cameras could easily pick up the sign one student held up desperately pleading for help for a dying Coach William "Dave" Sanders. Despite the fact that he'd been shot at roughly 11:30 AM and students had been calling repeatedly from that time for help they were promised by 911 dispatch was on its way, Coach Sanders was left to bleed to death on the floor of one of Columbine's classrooms. He was the last individual to die in the school and his family later and accurately maintained that he wouldn't have died if the SWAT hadn't taken so long getting in the building.

The SWAT was forced into decisive action at 2:30 when, to save himself from the same fate Coach Sanders was enduring, Patrick Ireland rolled himself out of the library window. He would have fallen head-first two stories onto a concrete sidewalk if the mobile armored unit hadn't rolled in to catch him. However, if he had waited in the library for help to arrive he likely would have died there waiting.

The SWAT team finally reached the critically injured Coach Dave Sanders at around 2:40, over three hours after Sanders was shot. When they arrived, students had put together a make-shift gurney with the intent to move the Coach out themselves as they'd given up hope on a rescue. The SWAT refused to let them use the gurney and made the students leave the building at that time. Two SWAT team members stayed with Sanders to "wait for the paramedics".

"While the world cheered as they watched television images of children escaping unharmed from the school, the two SWAT deputies with Sanders decided to move him closer to an exit route. After waiting for what they estimated to be 20 to 30 minutes, they decided a paramedic was not coming or could not get in, and that they would need to evacuate the wounded teacher themselves or at least move him closer to an exit.

"Their plan was to take him out a door over to the staircase, down the stairs through the cafeteria and out the side door, basically following the same route as the students just evacuated. They put Sanders on a chair so that they could move him easier and pushed him through the back doors of the science rooms into a storage area. Before they could move him from the storage room, a Denver paramedic arrived in the room. He had entered through the west side of the school and past SWAT where he was directed to Sanders. He advised the deputies that there was no pulse and, therefore, nothing more they could do. Dave Sanders had died."

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
You wish. I bet you couldn't hit the side of a barn.

I have no desire to hit any barn doors.

Where do you get this "freedom hating" mantra from? Freedom is a compromise. As an absolute it is hopeless. As a description of your lifestyle it is a sentimental illusion.

Freedom is inversely proportional to the width of a lawyer's bookshelves which contain the list of the things you are not allowed to do. Freedom does not recognise the concept of illegality. Freedom demanded is automatically conceded to everyone. Freedom is shooting up a cinema if that is what somebody feels like doing.

spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:40 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
A very large magazine might put a gun in a different lethality category (regardless of whether or not it was an assault weapon), but certainly no more lethal than bombs.

Where can you buy a bomb at a store near you?

You're just thrashing around in all directions to try to hide the fact that guns are an extension of potency for those in need of that sort of thing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:52 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

How did Joe answer the question?

Sorry but under neither civil or criminal law are the police legally duty bound to save your rear end and there been cases in high risk situations where they stood by and allow citizens to be harm in the US.

Mainly in riot situations but also in for example Columbine shootings, SWAT did not go in to protect the students and engage the shooters but just surrounded the building for hours, You was on your own in that building.
YES. I was sufficiently fortunate & honored to have known NYPD Lt. John Perry,
an active member of Mensa and of the Libertarian Party in NY.
He perished while he was committing multiple acts of heroism
and of Individual courage on 9/11/1, when (against his Captain's orders)
he re-entered 2 World Trade Center to lead out an additional group
of victims (beyond those who he 'd already led to safety outside).
He pressed his luck too much: the building collapsed on him.
His remains were uncovered the next April.

After 9/11/1, at a meeting of the Libertarian Party in NY,
addressing the group, he commented that the police
at Columbine High School were a bunch of cowards,
for lingering outside for so long afraid to enter.

Walter put it very well in referring to them as:
"better traffic wardens".

Reginald Denny was getting stomped on national TV,
from sea to shining sea, for the best part of an hour,
with NO assistance from police, while very serious injuries
from which he has not recovered to this day, were being publicly inflicted.
Like the victims in Columbine and in the theater, he was un-armed
and, in that respect, he was un-wise.

( tho I wonder how far into the future,
I will be physically able to support the weight of a gun, walking in the street )

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 04:02 am

Its very sad that of the customers in that theater
EVERYONE obayed its prohibition against personal firearms (except James Holmes)
and no one had a magnum revolver; very sad.

With a gun of sufficient power,
the predator coud have been knocked over backward,
whereupon the victims coud jump on him.

Its a little embarrassing that the only libertarian in the theater was James Holmes.
The others all obayed the anti-gun rule; very sad. I 'm sure that Mr. Holmes thought that thay were GOOD little victims.

David