Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Are you guys going to also ban knives? What then, sticks and rocks?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors say knives are too pointed
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.
A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds
In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Not a pocket knife, like I said it's down to common sense.
Common sense is being sufficiently well armed
to be able to dominate a predatory emergency n thereby survive it.
Every predatory event is a contest of power.
The English filosofy is to grant a MONOPOLY of power to predators
and to disarm future victims. The English choose to favor the BAD over the GOOD.

izzythepush wrote:
The sort of things people are arrested for have no purpose other than stabbing.

Chefs carry a set of knives about with them, they wouldn't get stopped going about their business,
but taking a knife down the pub is something else entirely.

Anyway, this is all about the nonsense some of you spout about being freer than us,
U said I 'd be arrested as a terrorist
for merely possessing guns, harmlessly, if I went to England.

izzythepush wrote:
you're not free to drink in the streets, or to cross the road when the red man tells you not to,
We 've had no trouble from the Indians for over 1OO years.
I don't care WHAT thay want; (we don't see them very much).

izzythepush wrote:
even if the roads are clear. We can do that.
Izzy, I cross the street whenever I damn please,
with the police standing right there. Thay don't care.

izzythepush wrote:
I'd sooner meet someone carrying a beer than a gun any day.
(Except for one nite) all the guys with guns that I ever encountered
were perfectly peaceful. I 've never had any trouble at gunnery ranges,
except that (truthfully) the police have accosted me
to comment upon the beauty of my ordnance.
When I choose a new gun, I have an eye for esthetics, most of the time.

On the other hand, drunks have been known to get nasty n belligerant.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
@BillRM,
Could you kindly say what relevance this opinion from 2005 by a team from West Middlesex University Hospital has or had on current English and Welsh laws?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Perhaps that's only when foreigners do so? What every Brit should know about jaywalking - Arrested, cuffed and jailed, the don caught jaywalking
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Could you kindly say what relevance this opinion from 2005 by a team from West Middlesex University Hospital has or had on current English and Welsh laws?

My my a powerful and well respect group in your society is calling for a ban on large kitchen knives is beside the point concerning the issue of knives and the UK?

Not to mention the current state of the laws in the UK concerning knives where you need to be able to prove you have a legal reason to have one with you at any moment in time to the police.

I happen to have a large knife in the trunk of my car that been there for so long I forgotten why I placed it in the trunk in the first place and never gotten around to removing so if ask to show my legal purposes to have that knife in the trunk I would be in a world of hurt.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:29 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Of course there is the blank check clause in the constituation..........

Quote:
The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

There is no blank check.

Note: "for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers"

Nothing there about exercising powers that have not already been explicitly granted.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:33 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My my a powerful and well respect group in your society is calling for a ban on large kitchen knives is beside the point concerning the issue of knives and the UK?
I don't really think that they belong to "my society".
But even if I lived in the UK - why is a team from West Middlesex University Hospital a) powerful and b) considered by whom as a "well respect group"?

BillRM wrote:
Not to mention the current state of the laws in the UK concerning knives where you need to be able to prove you have a legal reason to have one with you at any moment in time to the police.

Really? Could you please point to what part of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959, Criminal Justice Act 1988, Offensive Weapons Act 1996, Knives Act 1997, or (for Scotland) Custodial Sentences and Weapons Act 2007 you are refeering with your post?
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:36 pm
@oralloy,
Sorry but Jefferson feel that it was a blank check in the constitution and that the Federals under Hamilton was using it as such by for example claiming the power to charters banks and corporations.

A power found no where directly under the constitution.....................
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Really? Could you please point to what part of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959, Criminal Justice Act 1988, Offensive Weapons Act 1996, Knives Act 1997, or (for Scotland) Custodial Sentences and Weapons Act 2007 you are refeering with your post?

I am going by the following quote of a UK government spokesperson as reported by the BBC and that seem good enough for most purposes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place. "The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:47 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place. "The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

As you quoted correctly above: "in a public place". That's - at least in the UK - something different to "at any moment in time to the police".
BillRM wrote:

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
why is a team from West Middlesex University Hospital a) powerful and b) considered by whom as a "well respect group"?

Their call for such a ban got large scale hearings in the press. started public debates and comments on by government officers and that is not normally the case for non-respected fringe groups to say the least.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
As you quoted correctly above: "in a public place". That's - at least in the UK - something different to "at any moment in time to the police".
BillRM wrote:

Oh and my example of having a knife in a trunk of a car that go onto the public highways or park on the public streets would not apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Their call for such a ban got large scale hearing in the press. started public debates and comments on by government officers and that is not normally the case for a non-respected fringe groups to say the least.
You could be right. I can't actually really remember the British pres' headlines from seven years ago.
Godd for you that you've such a good memory and follow so intensively foreign media!

BillRM wrote:

Oh and my example of having a knife in a trunk of a car that go onto the public highways or park on the public streets would not apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suppose that if the police suspects of preparing a crime - it really could apply. Furthermore I suppose, you would get even more difficulties in the UK when they'll find your other arms ... That would be the very same elsewhere in Europe, btw.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Your link shows an ego confrontation
between 2 men.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
To finish this excursus to British law:
as of today, and effective from 4 August, 2008, the possession of bladed articles/offensive weapons is sentenced according to Criminal Justice Act 1988, s.139 (bladed article), Prevention of Crime Act 1953, s.1 (offensive weapon).
Triable either way: Maximum when tried summarily: Level 5 fine and/or 6 months. Maximum when tried on indictment: 4 years.

Source: Sentencing Guidelines Council
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hinteler here is an example of weapons in cars under florida laws.

Under Florida law you are allow for example to have a gun in a closed container, even a cardboard box, in a car and you are allow to have it on private property such as your home or a gun range.

PS I know that the cardboard box sound crazy but I had gotten that info from a book written by a leading expert lawyer on florida gun laws.

In any case the little problem is in theory carrying the gun from a public parking place to or from your home or gun range you are breaking the law without a CC license.

One of the reasons for target shooters to get a CC license even if they have no plans to carry a gun around on an everyday basic is to close that narrow area
of unlawfulness and so police officers who are not legal experts do not give you a hard time about having a gun in your car even if you are doing so in a legal manner.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

That's because you live in New York, David. I got in that same habit while living in Boston. Then, lo and behold, I cross a street with literally no traffic coming from either direction in Salt Lake City, Utah, and a cop on a motor-scooter who has observed this maneuver scoots on over and writes me a citation for having jaywalked, i.e. crossed a street against a red light instead of standing there like a damn fool waiting for the light to change. I felt like asking, "Are you a real cop or are we on 'Candid Camera?'" But I didn't ask that. Instead, since I was leaving Utah the next day anyway, I simply ignored the whole thing. (I don't think there's a warrant out on me in Utah for contempt or defaulting on a citation; it was more than seven years ago.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Every time he gets into a discussion with someone from the UK about gun control he posts that ridiculous report. That's why I asked McGentrix if he'd been talking to BillRM.

He's been wetting his knickers with anticipation waiting to post this.

Bill is very predictable, he's on a weekly cycle. At the end of the week he goes back to the beginning.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 02:03 pm
@BillRM,
yeah I can see the future now. Everyone must register their rocks, sticks and any and all objects that could be used as an instrument to cause bodily harm. If these objects are moved from their locations you must notify authorities before, during and after their moving. In the event that one of these objects is moved accidently a trial will be held to determine if the moving of the object was intentional or actually accidental. Those found moving such objects without prior permission by the government will be found guilty of potentially causing bodily harm to a potential person or persons.
spendius

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 02:58 pm
@Krumple,
Invent your own bogeymen eh Krumpie?

It's a bit far-fetched. You should try to stay somewhere in the region of common sense.

What are the statistics on somebody tooling up with rocks, sticks and any and all objects that could be used as an instrument to cause bodily harm, and going into a crowded place and deploying them in such a way as to kill and injure dozens of people.

And why bring up the Oklahoma bomber? He would have been arrested if caught with the bomb at any time before he planted it. His bomb was banned. That case could be cited by those who want to ban guns. McVeigh's bomb was him "bearing arms". To cite the case on the other side, as has been done, is idiotic.