Mass Shooting At Denver Batman Movie Premiere

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
When someone shot at ME,
there were no police around to defend me.

Nobody has ever shot at me, probably because here there are almost no guns in circulation here.

Our police don't carry guns either. It's great, everybody feels safe.

But the police can still shoot somebody if he needs shooting. It's proportionate.

O RLY?

Quote:
Gordon Brown acknowledged today that too many people feel unsafe in their own homes as public concern about knife crime spirals.

Are you guys going to also ban knives? What then, sticks and rocks?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:03 am
@McTag,
DAVID wrote:
When someone shot at ME,
there were no police around to defend me.
McTag wrote:

Nobody has ever shot at me, probably because here there are almost no guns in circulation here.

Our police don't carry guns either. It's great, everybody feels safe.
I felt safe too.
I was not expecting those guys to open up on me.
I also felt safe, after thay fled, when my own gun came out.
This was around midnite; very low light.

I had been counselled years and decades before,
by my TV repairman, to use reflective silver colored defensive guns.
Mine is in "stainless steel mirror"; good for visibility,
in .44 special with hollowpointed slugs with W I D E cavities.

The bad guys did not give me time to line up a shot
before their (somewhat abrupt) departure. I felt safe; I still do.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've just shown a place in which you've made up a claim about the constitution.

Not even close. That was a place where I correctly stated what the Constitution says.

Setanta wrote:
I seriously doubt that you've either read it, or understood it if you did.

Yet no matter how hard you try, you can never show a single thing about the Constitution I've ever been wrong about.

Setanta wrote:
That the paragraph from Article One, Section Eight does not say anything about the militia serving outside American borders is not evidence that the militia is prohibited from serving outside American borders.

Yes it is. The federal government is limited only to the powers expressly granted to it by the Constitution.

Setanta wrote:
They did so in both the War of 1812 and the Mexican War.

Actually, a number of states refused to send their militia in the War of 1812, and precisely because of that reason.

Setanta wrote:
our miliitia have served outside American borders, and that's because the constitution does not prohibit them from doing so.

No, the Constitution is very clear on this matter. The Constitution has never granted the government authority to send the militia outside US borders.

Setanta wrote:
Just because you always apply your hysterical ideological polemic to these subjects doesn't mean that your claims are valid.

The fact that I accurately and correctly state what the Constitution actually says, though, does mean that my claims are valid.

Setanta wrote:
As i've said, nowhere does the constitution prohibit members of the militia from serving outside American borders,

Your words do not change the reality that the Constitution very clearly does not give the Federal government authority to send the militia outside US borders.

Setanta wrote:
and you have failed to show that it does.

Nope. I showed it quite clearly.

Setanta wrote:
You just make this **** up.

Funny how you can never show a single thing that I've ever made up.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:22 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
O RLY?

Quote:
Gordon Brown acknowledged today that too many people feel unsafe in their own homes as public concern about knife crime spirals.

You're really bang up to date aren't you?

McGentrix wrote:
Are you guys going to also ban knives?

What a ridiculous idea, you must have been talking to BillRM. Knives have many uses, they're not just used to kill. In any event you can be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon, which could include a knife. Common sense dictates when this would be appropriate, something that seems in short supply over there.

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
most states ban mechanically assisted knives( generally known as switchblades or stilletos_) The states that DONT (eg Fla) serve as shopping points for switchblade hunters.
Same way its been with guns , and the reason that any gun controls havent been able to be successful. In several states (NY, NJ, Pa Del). The different municipalities act like separate kingdoms. Eg, there is no reason in hell for a gun control ordinance or law to be even considered viable in a place like NYC or Newark NK. The "hoppers" merely have to trip over a county line an satisfy their need for more guns
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:39 am
@farmerman,
Switchblades (flick knives) are banned over here too. There was talk about banning certain knives that don't have a non-violent application, like knuckle duster knives, but nothing seems to have come of that.

I often carry a 'waiter's friend,' corkscrew, bottle opener, and a small blade combined. It's often come in handy, and would be little to no use in a fight. similarly a chef carrying his knives to and from work wouldn't have a problem.

If you go out on a Friday night for a drink with a sharpened blade in your pocket, expect to spend a night in the cells.

At the end of the day I'd rather take my chances with a madman on the rampage with a knife, than one with automatic weapons any day.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
most states ban mechanically assisted knives( generally known as switchblades or stilletos_)
That is very stupid legislation.
The knife spring frightens the liberals,
so thay wanna outlaw it, as if the spring made a knife
more dangerous than a sword.

farmerman wrote:
The states that DONT (eg Fla) serve as shopping points for switchblade hunters.
That is ADMIRABLE. Liberal government perversity is defeated.

farmerman wrote:
Same way its been with guns, and the reason that any gun controls havent been able to be successful.
Factually, the intendment of the Bill of Rights prevails.
Liberalism is defeated. America is the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

David

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David wrote:
America is the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Try walking down the street with a can of beer.

I can do that without fear of arrest.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:25 am
@izzythepush,
Gun Sales Are Up Sharply In Colorado Since Theater Shootings
July 24, 2012
by Mark Memmott - NPR

Sales of guns have risen strongly in Colorado since the early Friday shootings at a movie theater near Denver that left 12 people dead and 58 wounded.

The Denver Post reports that:

— "Between Friday and Sunday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm — a 43 percent increase over the previous Friday through Sunday and a 39 percent jump over those same days on the first weekend of July."

"It's been insane," Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker, told the newspaper.

We're seeing a few stories about surging sales from other parts of the nation as well. KTEN-TV reports from Durant, Okla., for example, that "area gun shops say they've seen an increase in traffic of people purchasing fire arms.

Also today, TheStreet.com reports that shares of stock in gun manufacturers have "outperformed the broader market during the past two trading days." Investors are betting those companies (Smith & Wesson; Sturm, Ruger & Co.) will see a boost in sales as some buyers get weapons for protection and others get them out of fear that gun laws will be tightened in reaction to the Aurora shootings.

There were similar surges in sales after the 2011 shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., and the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech.
Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

In New York City, it's against the law to drink beer, while sitting on your front porch.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Oh really? You can walk down the street with a beer in your hand, but if you have a knife in your pocket you're going to jail?

England .... Land of the Intoxicated.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:35 am
@Ticomaya,
I've already posted I can walk about with my waiter's friend no problem.

We're talking about offensive weapons, not pocket knives.

You're intoxicated after one can of beer?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
You can't carry a "sharpened blade" in your pocket without fear of arrest, according to your earlier post.

A "sharpened blade" is an "offensive weapon"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:54 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches.
Source: Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 139(1).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Basic rules on knives
If you’re planning to buy or carry a knife, it’s important to know the rules. Anyone found breaking these laws can face up to four years in prison.
These include:
it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18
it is a crime to carry a knife in public without good reason – for example, if you work as a chef
the maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is four years in prison and a fine of £5000
it is illegal to carry, buy or sell any type of knife banned by the government (the list of banned knives is below)
knives with folding blades, like Swiss Army knives, are not illegal as long as the blade is three inches long (7.62 cm) or less
if any knife is used in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife), it is regarded as an 'offensive weapon' by the law
any sharp instrument – even a screwdriver – can be viewed by the police as an illegal offensive weapon if you do not have a good reason for carrying it
Illegal knives
There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives, which are considered to be offensive weapons.
These include:
flick knives - knives where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed; these are also called 'switchblades' or 'automatic knives'
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords
hand-claws
foot-claws
belt-buckle knives
push daggers
kubotan (cylindrical container, holding spikes)
shuriken (also known as 'death stars' or 'throwing stars')
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
Source
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:59 am
@Ticomaya,
Not a pocket knife, like I said it's down to common sense. The sort of things people are arrested for have no purpose other than stabbing.

Chefs carry a set of knives about with them, they wouldn't get stopped going about their business, but taking a knife down the pub is something else entirely.

Anyway, this is all about the nonsense some of you spout about being freer than us, you're not free to drink in the streets, or to cross the road when the red man tells you not to, even if the roads are clear. We can do that.

I'd sooner meet someone carrying a beer than a gun any day.
oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:05 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Investors are betting those companies (Smith & Wesson; Sturm, Ruger & Co.) will see a boost in sales as some buyers get weapons for protection and others get them out of fear that gun laws will be tightened in reaction to the Aurora shootings.

With the NRA and the US Supreme Court providing a tag-team defense to protect our Constitution, there is little chance of another round of unconstitutional gun laws.

But it is always wise to be armed to protect against attack.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Switchblades (flick knives) are banned over here too.
U r saved from the terror of the blade spring; how about rigid knives,
like short swords?? R thay a lot safer??

izzythepush wrote:
There was talk about banning certain knives that don't have a non-violent application,
like knuckle duster knives, but nothing seems to have come of that.

I often carry a 'waiter's friend,' corkscrew, bottle opener, and a small blade combined. It's often come in handy,
and would be little to no use in a fight. similarly a chef carrying his knives to and from work wouldn't have a problem.

If you go out on a Friday night for a drink with a sharpened blade in your pocket, expect to spend a night in the cells.
The police search all the Englishmen's pockets??

izzythepush wrote:
At the end of the day I'd rather take my chances with a madman on the rampage with a knife,
than one with automatic weapons any day.
In America, I 'm sure that your chance of getting hit by LIGHTNING or drowning
is over 1OO times more likely than getting shot with an automatic weapon.

David
BillRM

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Free advice: Last time I pointed these facts out to you, you tried claiming that the federal government is not limited to the powers expressly given to it, even though the fact that it is so limited is one of the fundamental principles of the Constitution, even though the Founding Fathers widely discussed that limitation, and even though that core principle is at the center of more than half of all the cases that have ever been heard by the US Supreme Court (including the recent lawsuit about Obama's healthcare plan).

Of course there is the blank check clause in the constituation..........

Quote:
The Congress shall have Power - To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The police search all the Englishmen's pockets??

No, probable cause and all that. There are certain parts of town that have a high police presence, people being aggressive will get arrested, and if they're tooled up, they get banged up.

It's not illegal to be drunk, it's illegal to be drunk and disorderly, if you're a nice drunk they leave you alone.
0 Replies