Bagels!?! We got bagels!!

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:31 pm
A scurrilous post to this very forum claims that that Aussies are bereft of these bakery treats - or at the very least, those on offer are the consistency of truck tyres.

Not so! There are a number of bakeries offering them fresh or ready to heat. What you put on them is your business, but I understand that the traditional spreads are cottage cheese and smoked fish.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 22,200 • Replies: 426
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:38 pm
cottage cheese? <cringe>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 11:25 pm
<psst> cream cheese..... it's spreadable and smooooth. Sometimes is a little too thick to spread easily and sometimes it's whipped to a fluffy spreadable ease. The flavor is mild, rich, and a little sour.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:05 am
Cream cheese, smoked salmon, sliced tomato and bermuda onion for me, please.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:07 am
Don't worry li'l k - we got cream cheese. I confess I am no great bagel lover though, meself....well, I quite like the fruity cinnamon ones....

Welcome, Marycat - good to see you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:08 am
Bermuda onion? Is that sweetish, like spanish onions, which are red?
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:17 am
Yup, sweetish and red. And yummy!
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:18 am
And thanks for the welcome!

Love your avatar.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:00 am
Welcome mc! Yay! :-D

PS Cream cheese and lox, baby!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:12 pm
Cream cheese from Mendel's Creamery, a little piece of nova lox (or if i'm feeling wild, a tiny bit of rollmops), a slice of tomato all on a toasted sesame twister bagel. Fresh dill on the side, tangy cole slaw and about 10 french fries. Paradise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:12 pm
noooooooo sweet bagels
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
Cream cheese - I *meant* cream cheese - didn't quite get it down on the post correctly. Must agree with you on not caring for sweet bagels, it seems to require a mix of a smooth blandish cheese with some sort of strong flavour like pickles. Another of my own taste treats is ripe avocado, ground pepper and lemon juice or egg with Tabasco. Bland'n'bite!

Big hello to marycat!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:58 pm
You may think you have bagels, but it is well known that the only real bagels in the entire world are made in the northeastern U.S. I believe it has something to do with the water. We have a friend who moved to Florida and tried to duplicate the New York bagels (even brought down a NY bagel chef) but to no avail.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 05:58 am
Piffle!
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 10:48 pm
Hi everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome!

[waving]

You know what some of the neat things I've learned in cooking school are? I can make gravlax, I can cure and cold smoke the salmon, or I can hot smoke it too if you like. Or trout or whitefish or whatever you like.

Yum yum yum.

Thay haven't taught us how to make a proper bagel yet, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:07 pm
Wow!

You be one clever li'l Marycat - purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:16 pm
You just reminded me of something funny from school that has not so much to do with bagels...

We were quartering some bunny rabbits for a lovely nice dish and one of the Chefs came by and told me that when I have my own restaurant, I should always try to order rabbits with their heads on. 'Cause if they don't have their heads on, you can never be quite sure it wasn't a kitty.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:42 am
Out here in the west we have Noah's Bagels, and oy vay are they ever good. Before Noah's came to town there was no real bagel to be had.

I like all kinds of them, plain, onion, pumpernickel, asiago cheese, even the raisin cinnamon and blueberry spread thick with cream cheese. I'm getting hungry!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:42 am
marycat wrote:
You just reminded me of something funny from school that has not so much to do with bagels...

We were quartering some bunny rabbits for a lovely nice dish and one of the Chefs came by and told me that when I have my own restaurant, I should always try to order rabbits with their heads on. 'Cause if they don't have their heads on, you can never be quite sure it wasn't a kitty.

THUD!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 12:03 pm
Now, what is it that makes rabbits preferable for consumption over cats? That's a bit arbitrary, isn't it?
0 Replies