Does "dubbed up" mean "dressed up" here?

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:18 am
If so, is there any dictionary supporting the usage?

Context:

It was the crazy part of me that had first written The Village Vomit and then carried it to school; now that troublesome Mr. Hyde had dubbed up and slunk out the back door...
More:

http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=8yD6wK7jE4gC&pg=PT63&lpg=PT63&dq=%22Mr.Hyde+had+dubbed+up%22&source=bl&ots=puH4CX9ozv&sig=cR-o8qLywkF3ZnADYUb02MXPVOg&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=W9AHUKSpHu2ViQfG0M3zAw&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:24 am
@oristarA,
I found this:

Quote:
Dubbed Up
Dubbed up is British slang for incarcerated, locked up.
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/brow

I think he is saying that he locked away his "deep wildness" (his Mr. Hyde -- the part of himself that wrote about Maggot Margitan) and set free his "deep conservatism" (his Dr. Jekyll -- the part of him that was worried about the consequence of writing that line) which were "wound together like the hair in a braid".
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:15 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I found this:

Quote:
Dubbed Up
Dubbed up is British slang for incarcerated, locked up.
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/brow

I think he is saying that he locked away his "deep wildness" (his Mr. Hyde -- the part of himself that wrote about Maggot Margitan) and set free his "deep conservatism" (his Dr. Jekyll -- the part of him that was worried about the consequence of writing that line) which were "wound together like the hair in a braid".

Thank you.
So "dubbed up" contradicts with " slunk out"...

It cannot hold water. I'm still confusing.

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:36 am
@oristarA,
"I'm still confused."

"Dub" does mean to dress, but in the sense of preparing something like a chicken to cook, or a beam of wood to smooth.

King is extending to the word "dub" the meaning that the word "dress" has, to put on clothes so as to go out for the evening.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:09 pm
@oristarA,

This is American slang. It is not seen in the UK.

(and therefore, it is only of slight regional importance)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@McTag,
Did you not see boomer's reference? It's identified as being UK slang. You're probably right about the slight regional importance.
Cool

I'd thought it might have to do with dub poetry, but once I realized this was about Stephen King, I realized that wasn't possible.
McTag

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 05:02 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Did you not see boomer's reference? It's identified as being UK slang.

Not identified by me, it isn't. Boomer's reference gave this:

Quote:
Dub is old British slang for a key.
Dub is slang for a style of reggae-music in which already recorded instrumental tracks are electronically altered and overlaid.
Dub is American slang for a cigarette.
Dub is American and Australian slang for a fool or incompetent.
Dub is Lakeland slang for a river pool.

And, I could add, "dub" is a Scottish dialect word for a puddle.
But none of this has the slightest relevance to the question.

It may be a reference to "duds", which are clothes, and I think that is American too.
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:12 am
@oristarA,
I'm confused

With "__ed", the action, the condition is inward, upon the subject.

___ed -->Subject <-- ___ed

S is confused/bored by others/ some things

====================

I'm confusing.

With "___ing", the action, the condition is outward from the subject to others.

Subject is [___ing] --> others

S is confusing/boring to others
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:18 am
@McTag,
''dubbed up'' was specifically id'd as Brit slang
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
''dubbed up'' was specifically id'd as Brit slang

Yes, Beth, and by the Probert Encyclopedia which goes way back in antiquity to 1993.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:08 am

Since neither British contributors nor American (or Canadian) can lay claim to this "dubbed up" expression I conclude that it is of no importance.

I had another thought, though, while I was making some toast this morning, having got up early.

"Dubbin" is the name of a commonly used leather preservative in this country at least. It is used for equestrian "tack", harness for horses, saddles and the like, as well as boots.
Hence "dubbed up" could have been slang for "spruced up, cleaned up, polished up", among the horsey set, and had a limited currency.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:05 am

Curious, I looked this up in another book I've recently got.

Here's the entry for "dub".

English has two words dub. By far the older, "create a knight, name", was one of the linguistic fruits of the Norman Conquest, which was during the Middle English period to contribute such a vast number of French words to the English language. It cam from Anglo-Norman duber, which was a reduced form of aduber, the Anglo-Norman version of Old French adober. This meant "equip, repair, arrange," but also specifically "equip with armour", which led metaphorically to the meaning to "confer a knighthood on". The sense "arrange" has remained in use in various technical areas up to the present time, and its application to the dressing of leather with grease formed the basis of the noun dubbin, a mixture of oil and tallow for softening and waterproofing leather.
0 Replies