When are they going to show up?!

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:05 am
I am getting so freaked out. About a week ago my husband and I got into a fight. It did get physical, on both sides, it ended quickly but a neighbor called the cops on us.
Part of the fight started because I came home and the house was a mess. So while no charges were filed (it was the first incident we've ever had in 5 years of marriage) one of the officers told me they would be notifying CPS of the 'condition of my home'. Which is irritating to say the least.. Dishes weren't done, toys and clothes were everywhere and my son had spilled a box of cereal all over the floor. Not dirty, just a little messy.
Anyways its been 5 business days. So a week, and I haven't heard anything or had anyone show up. Are they going to still or am I in the clear? I'm so nervous about this, I've seen friends get mixed up with CPS and have nothing but issues with them..

*Also I'm not sure if this matters but, my husband is staying with his dad. He will be until we get counselling or something set up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,656 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:24 am
@jazzylady,
Clean the house REALLY well.
Wax the floors, polish the counters, toss out all the old magazines, newspapers, dust like crazy and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.

Make the beds everyday, pick up all the toys every night.

Make it look like the photographer for Our Best Homes is on the way over.

CPS is so overworked that, when they do show up, they will think they have the wrong address.
Relax (after the cleaning is done) and put your marriage back together if you can.
Make sure the child(ren) knows NONE of this is their fault and do it without badmouthing your husband.

I wish you the very best future possible.
Joe(be well)Nation

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:27 am
@jazzylady,
Well, for an officer to threaten with CPS, your house must have been more than a "little messy". How old is your son?

It doesn't take much to clean up! Try to clean one room at a time and keep it up. No one should live in filth, especially children!
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 09:29 am
My daughter is an Intake Worker for CPS and even if they show up (doubtful after all this time), your house doesn't have to be spotless. All they are concerned about is the safety of your children. Do they have food, shelter, love, support? The condition of your home is not an issue unless it compromises their safety and health.

My daughter receives calls from concerned citizens and makes judgement calls all day long. Some they just record, others they will visit.

A messy house is NOT a major concern of theirs, so even if they DO show up, they'll just talk to you because it has been reported.

Your husband and your fight is more of an issue. If they know about the fight and ask you about it, just tell them what you told us. CPS offices operate differently from province to province and likely that is true where you live, so I can't help you more than this.

Calm down, stop sweating it, tidy your house, and love your kids.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Excellent advice.
0 Replies

jazzylady

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:37 am
Thanks you guys. I just want to stop stressing.

My house was seriously 'just messy' it took about a hour to clean the whole thing. I hope the officer rethought it when he left and just didn't call it in.

But when can I stop worrying? I thought CPS was more on top of things then this.... I just want to know that they won't randomly show up in a couple weeks when I've stopped being neurotic about the house. I've heard such bad things about CPS..
jazzylady

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:54 am
@CalamityJane,
My boys are 4 and 3.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:59 am
@jazzylady,
Don't expect a bureaucracy to move quickly, unless it's a known emergency. They might have dismissed the whole issue, but they don't forget. That's what they and their computers do best.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:17 pm
CPS won't be called about a "messy" house, believe me.

The issue is the safety of the kids.

Call the police dept. and see what kind of report was made. Perhaps there was no referral at all to CPS since no charges were filed. It may have been put down as a Domestic issue.

I am assuming the kids witnessed all this. If the officer thought the kids were being injured, neglected or tramatized, a CPS referral may have been done.

I'd really consider it a warning for you and your husband to learn how to handle stress and conflict.

0 Replies