Bush Installs Judge, Bypassing Senate

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:42 am
I don't know how often this has happened in the past .. someone probably knows and can tell me/us but .. this scares the sh!t out of me.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=544&ncid=718&e=1&u=/ap/20040221/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_judges

What are the implications of this? I don't know who the other Judge was but as a woman who has HAD to excersise her CURRENT rights .. I fear for the women of the future.

And don't even get me started on this myth of seperation of Church and State. What a crock!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,290 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:46 am
Firstly, the link didn't work. Secondly, you're heading towards fascism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:14 am
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040221/D80RBUEO2.html

This is the second time that Bush has found a workaround to install judges that have been disapproved by Congress. The first one was Pickering. Both judges are extremely conservative, and go along with Bush's spin on the Constitution! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:50 am
Neo Fascists
Siek Heil, Bush.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:08 am
be afraid. Be very afraid.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:23 am
Bush's six commandments.

To hell with the constitution, to hell with the balance of power, to hell with separation of church and state, to hell with civil rights, to hell with the people.

This nation is for benifit of the wealthy and the privileged. As for the poor and middle class if they have no bread let them eat cake. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

W
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:37 am
adamanta

Welcome to a2k!.

Yes, this scares many of us, as the comments above suggest.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:42 am
It is scary, but what is more scary is that there is nothing we can do about it. Republicans control the congress and they will not do anything. The country is split down the middle so there will not be a huge outcry. Since the public is split down the middle things might not be turned around at the next election so nothing might not be done then.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:50 pm
Bush was not getting around the will of the Senate. He was getting around the Senate's not being allowed to show their will. Filibusters are not new nor are interim appointments. Admittedly, Bush has carried it to extremes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 02:10 pm
The appoinments will only last one year from the date of appoinment and I am sure that if and when the Dems regain power they will be performing the same end-arounds.

I think many on the left are just a bit too paranoid.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:04 pm
Consider what will happen if Bush [may his God forbid] gets reelected and is able to stack the courts with "Scalias".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
Consider what would happen had the Senate not adopted the 60% supermajority to end a filibuster, instead of following the minority rules scheme. Heaven forbid they should revert to the advise and consent function mentioned in the constitution. Who knows what the result might be - confirmation hearings might even (gasp) procede and the nominees would be voted up or down.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:53 pm
When the Democrats illegally conspire to block Republican appointments (as per below) what choice does the administration have except to appoint via loopholes.

Democrat Memogate: The Beginning of Political Scandal
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:00 pm
Only a conservative could put a positive spin on fascism.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:00 pm
But Fedral! The liberals are always right! How dare you try to show them they are not!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
fedral

Please follow the protocol of linking to source documents (or at less giving attribution to author/publication).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:26 pm
The piece quoted by Fedral (which I'll assume is Krauthammer's work) is a dilly. Let's get the facts on this right, because the piece doesn't intend to.

First, fillibuster of Bush judicial appointments by Democrats has occured in four (perhaps five) cases. But 168 Bush judicial appointments have already been confirmed.

In contrast, when Clinton held the presidency, Republicans denied confirmation to one third of those put forward....ONE THIRD. And, they refused to even hold hearings on many.

As regards the attempt by the writer to suggest dems are evil to strategize stopping Bush nominees (for philosophical reasons, we'll assume) and that the Republican staff who covertly accessed private dem computer records were fighting the good fight, evn if this is possibly a criminal act, but surely at least one that will cost the jobs of those found responsible. Well, that's pretty typical of this writer.

Another take http://slate.msn.com/id/2095803
0 Replies

Adamanta

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
ooops sorry about the link and thanks Phoenix for the alternate :wink:

Thanks for the welcome blatham Laughing

I certainly have no problem with folks being religious but I do have a problem when people who are put into power are chosen for their moral/religious beliefs to change the balance of power on certain issues. It happens on both sides and let's face it .. this is how any of them get appointed no matter what the issue or appointment.

revel: yes there is very little we as the general public can do about it until the 2 party strong hold in our society is broken .. if that is even possible.

Sadly the very fact that a person is in political office .. no matter what the party .. is suspect to me. It seems obvious that there are very few of them that are really there to represent us. Their driving force is their own personal agenda's and power. Republican or Democrat .. doesn't matter .. very few of them even when driven by unselfish desires to serve us actually can accomplish their goals .. not without sacrificing something anyway.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:46 pm
Adamanta wrote:
I certainly have no problem with folks being religious but I do have a problem when people who are put into power are chosen for their moral/religious beliefs to change the balance of power on certain issues. It happens on both sides and let's face it .. this is how any of them get appointed no matter what the issue or appointment.

And yet liberals do exactly this when it comes to demanding to know the views of candidates concerning abortion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:51 pm
I tend to opine that one's views when they supercede consitutional law in favor of religious dogma are pertinent quesitons to be asked. Sharia anyone?
0 Replies