Apollo 11 departs Earth, heads for the moon

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
Jul 16, 1969:

Apollo 11 departs Earth

Quote: At 9:32 a.m. EDT, Apollo 11, the first U.S. lunar landing mission, is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, on a historic journey to the surface of the moon. After traveling 240,000 miles in 76 hours, Apollo 11 entered into a lunar orbit on July 19.

The next day, at 1:46 p.m., the lunar module Eagle, manned by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, separated from the command module, where a third astronaut, Michael Collins, remained. Two hours later, the Eagle began its descent to the lunar surface, and at 4:18 p.m. the craft touched down on the southwestern edge of the Sea of Tranquility.

Armstrong opened the hatch of the lunar module. Seventeen minutes later, at 10:56 p.m., Armstrong spoke the following words to millions listening at home: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." A moment later, he stepped off the lunar module's ladder, becoming the first human to walk on the surface of the moon.

history.com

Not to be a killjoy on that auspicious moment, but Armstrong was not the first man to walk on the moon, the guy taking the movie of Armstrong doing it was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,964 • Replies: 5
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:41 pm

I most intently watched both the take off
and the landing on the Moon in my living room, with my Mom.
We were very happy.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:47 pm
That's right, all of us paparazzi had been up there on the moon for the whole weekend waiting for Apollo 11 to arrive. There was a big scrum when they didn't land where they were supposed to, but cruised over a hill and put down on another part the Sea. I got elbowed by a big fat guy wearing a Grateful Dead shirt, so I just stopped, let the others go on and see how they would do once the hatch opened.
I went back up the hill and took this:

http://starryskies.com/articles/2007/10/img-moon/.gallery/thumb_moon.and.earth.jpg

So at least the weekend wasn't wasted.

Joe(I sure was)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
GOOD SHOOTING, Joe!

Did u get enuf green cheese, while u were waiting ?

David
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I most intently watched both the take off
and the landing on the Moon in my living room, with my Mom.
We were very happy.

David

We were all mesmerized at our house too until my wife casually asked-- "Who's taking the picture?" My brother said, "The man in the moon, who else" and laughed.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 01:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
We were all so high, man, (That's how we got to the moon) no green cheese,,,,we ate up all the Vanilla Wafers like by breakfast, then we slept until the yelling started.

You'd think the lander would make a lot of noise going over your head, but no, it was about as loud as a hot air balloon.

One of the local Moongirls wanted to see what it looked like from the top of the lander, so we, she and girlfriend who just had to tag along, climbed up there, lit up and passed the pipe around. Very cool. EXCEPT I looked down and I had already missed the whole raising the flag thing. I quickly snapped this one with my short lens 35mm. I told the editor I planned to get the picture that way, to give the story some depth. He paid me half fee for it, the bastard.
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/SPACEFLIGHT/apollo/SP19G5.jpg

Don't ask me how I got back. I don't want to remember, there are visions of New Mexico and some parts of the Santa Monica Freeway involved as well as a cameo with George Burns, who I guess everybody knows by now, was not from this planet.

Joe(or the next one over)Nation

0 Replies