Does it sound natural?

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:30 am
Ambry is brushed on lacquer of white tip line, board door shows wale, deserve to go up coppery fittings;

(Note: from an example sentence in a Chinese-English dictionary. No more context is available.)

I don't understand what "lacquer of white tip line" means.
And what is "wale"?
I've noticed that "deserve" should be "deserves", which shows the sentence might have been constructed by a non-native English speaker.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 823 • Replies: 18
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:46 am
@oristarA,
It doesn't sound natural at all. I'm guessing here as there's not much context.

I think it's a description of a yacht, or similar vessel. The white tip line could be a reference to the many lines painted on the hull, like the plimsoll line for example, but I think in this case it's more decorative. Ambry I think is a misspelling of amber, and refers to the colour of the varnish (lacquer) painted on the line. 'Wale' I think is a misspelling of whale, which is inkeeping with the copper fittings, as in 'fixtures and fittings'

The online dictionary defines 'ambry' as

Quote:
1. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a recessed cupboard in the wall of a church near the altar, used to store sacred vessels, etc.
2. Obsolete a small cupboard or other storage space

which given the limited context does not seem appropriate.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:55 am
It's a mess.

"wale" is also ship talk for top rail or top edge, Izzy, as in gunwale.

It's a lot of gibberish, O, I can't be of much help.
Joe(let me think)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 10:59 am
@Joe Nation,
wale also refers to vertical ridges in corduroy

Does it sound natural? no.

Does any of the original post make sense? no
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:01 am
@oristarA,
It does not sound natural.
I have no idea what it means.
It looks like a run-on sentence.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:39 am
It looks like something that has been run through Babelfish. If I had paid for that dictionary, I would ask for my money back.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:09 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I don't understand what "lacquer of white tip line" means.
And what is "wale"?

do you understand what the rest of that sentence means? can you explain it to us?
Avendarito

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 08:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I think it's instructions on how to hit a line of cocain. But I donno I think everything is telling me to hit a line of cocain, sdkfdo sorry just hit a line of cocain.
0 Replies

Avendarito

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 08:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Your a mess, you probably think muslims attack'd the 9/11 WTCs
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 09:29 pm
@oristarA,
(Note: from an example sentence in a Chinese-English dictionary. No more context is available.)

Is this sentence found under a particular definition, Ori?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:11 pm
"board door shows wale", could be a really wacked translation of something like "the door shows the GRAIN of the wood it;s made of" (wale as in corduroy being someone's conception of a synonym for grain) (and grain is not wheat, but the appearance of natural designs in exposed wood)
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:13 pm
none of those examples make any apparent sense in English, ori. The last isn't a sentence, and I can't conceive of it making any reasonable sense.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:24 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Is this sentence found under a particular definition, Ori?

I added that, JTT.

(To prevent possible bombardment from context experts like Contrex.
No offense Context. Your requirement is reasonable, but reality is reproachable.)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:32 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you guys.

Let's just abandon it.
Cheers.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:10 am
@oristarA,
Rats.....
I was just thinking it was about painting amber on a white lacquered (tip) top line where the edge (the wale)of the border (board door) shows and goes all the way to (deserves) the copper hinges. (fittings)

I see a lot of this in my work. Someone tries to translate using whatever words are included in a definition. (edge, wale, ) or by sound.

So,

Paint the amber over the white lacquer top line where the edge is showing, continue all the way along to the copper hinges.

Joe(What'd yah think?)Nation

PS: Amber can be used as the name of a type of varnish. I think this sentence is about working on a boat. Just guessing. ♥
McTag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
@Joe Nation,

Thank you Joe(there's a career for him with the military codebreakers)Nation.

But it could also mean something else.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 12:58 pm
@McTag,
I was a military intelligence co-ordinator, believe me when I tell you that there were many reports and dispatches that needed to be translated from Stupid to English to Readable English every day.

I'd really be interested in what else you think the sentence could mean, not because I think I've got it, I'd like to see how you think.

Joe(We had a Captain who used to write the numeral 22nd as twentytoothed. And he wasn't joking>)Nation
McTag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:36 pm
@Joe Nation,

I'm sorry to say I don't think I could contribute any better, or indeed alternative, suggestion of meaning for that jumble of words.

Respect.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
"board door shows wale", )

Or wane, but overall it doesn't seem to suggest complaining.

0 Replies