What is "entrepreneurial seizure"?

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:05 am
It's the inspiration that will carry you through obstacles, challenges, and entrepreneurial seizure.

What is "entrepreneurial seizure" here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,733 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:13 am
There's not enough context to say. However, i suspect it's just bad writing.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:03 am
@Justin Xu,
It's either a writer's cramp in forgers or an attack so severe that you forget who your god is.

Unless it's an interruption in business.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 04:20 am
Entrepreneurial seizure (as 30 seconds at Google would have told anyone who bothered) is a phrase invented by an author of "business guru" books called Michael E Gerber.

Quote:
Smallbizlady: Michael, many of my readers are looking for viable alternatives to corporate work life. You have counseled tens of thousands of post-corporate entrepreneurs caught in what you call the “Entrepreneurial Seizure,” or what you consider to be the fatal mistake that most small businesses make. Can you tell my readers more about this fatal mistake and how to avoid it?

Michael E. Gerber: Great question. The “entrepreneurial seizure” lies at the heart of most failures in judgment when someone decides to leave his or her job to go out on their own. The excitement of independence associated with getting rid of the Boss is almost always fueled by a flawed understanding of what being on your own means, and how it successfully can work. Most small businesses are started by technicians suffering from an entrepreneurial seizure, rather than by true entrepreneurs. The Technician believes in the fatal assumption that because he or she knows how to do the work…graphic design, technology of all kinds, cooking a great dinner, repairing an automobile, snowboarding…they can turn what they know into a business that frees them from the Boss. The Graphic Designer creates a Graphic Design business. The Technology Guy creates a technology business. The Cook creates a restaurant. The Mechanic creates an Auto Repair business. The Snow Boarder creates a Snow Boarding business.

But instead of getting free of the Boss, they have become their own boss, and they’re now, with absolutely no understanding about how it happened, working for a lunatic, doing it, doing it, doing it, doing what they know how to do. Snowboarding, cooking, fixing a car, making a website. Entrepreneurs make the transition from working for someone else to going out on their own much differently. Entrepreneurs invent businesses that work without them. Technicians, as we’ve already said, create businesses that work because of them. And in the process, the Entrepreneur is liberated from what I call The Tyranny of Routine, and the Technician becomes a slave to it. [more...]

http://succeedasyourownboss.com/04/2010/taking-your-small-business-to-the-next-level-with-michael-e-gerber/

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:01 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
(as 30 seconds at Google would have told anyone who bothered)

Uh huh . . . and why would we bother?
contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:16 am
Staling offtopic troll strikes again... have you ever thought of getting a "life"?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Uh huh . . . and why would we bother?

Nobody could ever accuse you of bothering.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:52 am
He made me misspell "stalking"...

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:54 am
@contrex,
I thought you'd misspelled 'stalling.' Eight minutes and all that.
0 Replies

Setanta

@contrex,
"Staling?" I have a life, which is why i don't crow about the speed with which i can sneer at others, Mr. Lightning Wit.
Setanta

Stalking ? ! ? ! ? Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . . you crack me up. You're a legend in your own mind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:57 am
@Setanta,
Your wonderful life doesn't stop you coming back when you've finally thought of something 'witty,' to say.

Just take a deep breath and make yourself a sammich.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:59 am
I've already had my breakfast, so i have no interest in a sammich. You can construct whatever hateful fantasies you want about me, your pathetic opinions are a matter of indifference to me. If i'm here, i point out what a shithook you are, but i won't go to any trouble for it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:05 am
@Setanta,
It's all hate with you isn't it Malvolio? You're not a figure that inspires hate. You inspire laughter, your pompous posturing and reliance on a few hackneyed cliches are a source of great amusement. Don't change anything about yourself. I love you just the way you are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:23 am
Sure Bubba, whatever you say.

The great literary genius, Izzytheputz. Hell, Douglas Adams was a best seller in your silly little island. Talk about a "few hackneyed cliches"--is he your inspiration, little man?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:43 am
@Setanta,
First of all you start off with a hackneyed cliche, then you get all bitter and hateful.

Was that really worth seven minutes of frenzied brow furrowing?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:51 am
If you say so, Bubba. I've never seen such a bitter, hateful little man, so i'll accept that you are expert in such matters.
contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

"Staling?" I have a life, which is why i don't crow about the speed with which i can sneer at others, Mr. Lightning Wit.

The only thing in life that stops me cutting my throat is the speed with (and at) which I can sneer at others. If I lost that, I'd have to top myself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:56 am
I must admit he's got a point about Douglas Adams.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:57 am
@Setanta,
Try investing in a mirror.
0 Replies