To interfere or not to interfere

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:29 am
Lately, there are a few 'tapes' that have been playing in my head. One has to do with three relationships that parents interfered in.

Interestingly, two involve people from France.

My daughter worked as an au pair for one year before beginning college. Her employer's mother was a diabetic who was in love as a young woman. Since care for diabetics wasn't that great in France during the early 1940s, her parents told her she should not marry as she will probably die soon. She sent her sweetheart away. After the war, she was still alive and another man appeared to court her. This time, she was old enough and tired enough of being single to circumvent her parents. She was fortunate enough to have had two healthy pregnancies and two daughters but the marriage wasn't that successful. I've forgotten whether she was widowed or divorced but, after her daughters were launched, she went back to her hometown to visit her sister. She wondered what had happened to her sweetheart and whether he was still alive. She looked him up in the phone book. He was there! She called and learned he had never married. The married and lived happily ever after.

The second story involves the brother of a friend. Their grandparents fled the Russian Revolution and their father was a very hard man because of it. His family his wife was a pathetic little thing that he married out of pity, but she worked to support him through his Ph.D. and then through her M.L.A., while she raised the kids. He became a tenured professor at a prominent college and a nation wide expert on marital counselling. While his kids were bright, they would have been better off at small, liberal arts college rather than at Dad's sprawling state university, but they went to his school at his insistence. The oldest boy wanted to go to medical school but the father was somehow able to stop that move -- motivated by his ego's fear that if his son became an MD, he would have higher status than his father. The son went into the Peace Corps to give himself space and distance and was posted to West Africa where he met a French woman. She had to return to France and her American boyfriend wrote to her. Unfortunately, her mother did not want her to marry an American and intercepted the letters until the boyfriend gave up.

Back in the US, he began graduate school in public health. He met and married a law student and they had one son. He ended up teaching at Johns Hopkins. His marriage was not particularly happy and he suspected his wife had affairs on the side. As luck would have it, he attended a conference in Paris. Stepping out of his hotel one morning, he saw the brother of the woman he had loved in Africa. As things turned out, she had been angry at her American for never writing and finally married another man. After two children, they separated. The French husband begged her to return and they decided since they had only had a civil ceremony, perhaps marrying again in the church would help things. They did and then had a third child.

You can imagine the rest. When these two rediscovered each other, an international affair began. Surprisingly, the American wife was relieved. She hated herself for sleeping around. A very up-tight, dressed for success career woman who wore her hair in a French twist, she bought her first pair of jeans since college and cut her hair.

As for the American husband, his father finally congratulated him for surpassing him professionally.

Will tell the third story, my own, later . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 893 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:46 am
In both cases years have passed and hindsight is possible. Hindsight is much more accurate than foresight.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:31 pm
Now for the third story, mine.

This one isn't so dramatic.

From the time I was 13, I was aware of a very tall boy who was a year and half older and two years ahead of me in school. By the time I met him, I was 17 and about to begin my senior year of high school and he was 19 and had just finished his freshman year at CalTech. He looked a little like George Harrison and a little like a younger Mr. Spock. He would be part of my life, off and on, for the next six years. The most important time would be my sophomore year at Marygrove and his senior year at the University of Michigan (he transferred).

His family was Catholic and above mine in socio-economic terms: his father was an engineer at Ford Motor Co and his mother taught home ec at one of the three Dearborn high schools. He was National Honor Society and a National Merit Scholarship winner. It took ten years for his high school track records to be bested. He painted and played guitar (really played, that is, flamenco and blues, not just chords).

One night, we had gone to his house to sketch. His parents were at the movies and he was to drive me home after they returned. My mother called his parents' house and demanded my return. They later claimed it was 2 a.m., but, as we talked on the phone, the clock chimed 10.

It took each us years to recover.

I would say unless a child's mate is abusive, don't interfere.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:08 pm
plainoldme--

Obviously, your parents were concerned about a 17 year old spending an unchaperoned evening with a college man.

Striking a balance between protectiveness and non-interference is very difficult. Still..

"Of all sad words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are: 'It might have been.' "
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:21 pm
Noddy,
By the time they broke us up, I was 20 and he was 21. They disliked him, not the fact that there was no chaperone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
plainoldme--

Sad. Have you heard from him--or of him--since?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:58 pm
plainoldme

I loved the first 2 stories! What seemed meant to be actually eventuated in the end, despite parental intervention! <sigh> Appeals to the romantic in me. Smile
Your own story is a sadder one. (No happy ending!! Sad )
I guess your parents panicked, possibly meant well, but .....

The saddest thing about these stories, to me, was the parents' inability to understand that their offspring were autonomous beings to them .... that they just might have wanted something entirely different to their parents.
0 Replies