I need tips for walking my cat.

thack45

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
A fuller picture is emerging. Please don't attempt to walk your cats.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 03:47 pm
@thack45,
Yeah that's my question...why? Why the heck would you want to "walk" a cat?

I had a leash for my cat - but it was more so she could just go outside without wandering and getting lost. And only while I was out there with her. Basically she just wanted to roll in the grass.

It would never occur to me to even bother trying to walk her. And this I am talking about the most mild mannered cat you could imagine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 03:49 pm
@thack45,
yes especially cats that have been outdoors on their own. How old are they? I'd have to guess it would be next to impossible if they were any age over a year and used to being outside with complete freedom.

You'd be lucky to get the collar/harness on them a second time without being scratched severely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The cats always have collars on - no point in switching to harnesses.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think you might concentrate more on whether or not the cat would enjoy the enterprise than whether or not you can, with lots of time and patience, force a cat to do something it would much rather not.

some cats absolutely love it - others despise it, and let you know

2 of the cats that were leash-trained in the city were also toilet-trained. Siamese seem to like organization and discipline more than some other breeds.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I've got a friend who has reliably trained several of her Siamese cats to walk on leash in the city over the years ... but ... it is a lot of work to get them to go along with the idea initially.

She currently has a Savannah who goes out on a leash at their farm - he'll take a runner otherwise.

You need to start the training inside the house. It could be months (or never) before any particular cat adjusts to walking on leash.

A former neighbour used to walk her rabbit on a leash. That always seemed horrible for both the human and the rabbit.

Mine love being in the park and travel pretty long distances. Viola gets sick of it before Sebastian so I have a sort of stroller thing (kind of like a suitcase with wheels that she can see out of) that she can get into if she wants to....she is generally out of it again before long. This also provides safety for them if an un-leashed dog or something dangerous comes along that they need protection from.

However, if cats don't like it it's not worth inflicting on them.

A collar is a recipe for disaster. They'll be out of it like a flash if they panic or resist you and likely get killed.

You need a really good harness.

You also need to think a lotnabout their safety. Unexpected things happen really fast.

I'd be starting in your garden.

One of mine walks almostlike a dog...except cats are there for THEIR stimulation and pleasure....I always stop when they want to explore something, watch birds, enjoy the sun etc. You aren't going to get your exercise this way.

You also need to be really sensitive to their feelings and what is fun for them.

I'd not consider walking more than one cat at a time until you and they are really experienced. You have to be aware of dangers to them.

By the way, advice I have accessed on the net says never to take them beyond your garden.....

I currently have Cornish Rex.....have previously walked Siamese. I agree with the people who say that some breeds seem to take to it more than others.....it's no good in persisting in walking your cat if it hates it.

I carry mine safely in a mobile carrier until I get them to a place they will enjoy and where I can see any threats long before they are close to us.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 06:21 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, you specifically asked about treats and toys. No, your cat isn't going to be interested in anything other than getting out of the collar, or choking himself on it, and it won't matter which happens first from the cat's point of view.

Really, that is not always so at all.

I sometimes take treats for mine and occasionally toys.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 06:25 pm
Oh...your cats are cats which can access the outdoors all the time?

Why do you want to walk them, then?

I was assuming they were indoor cats and you did it to give them stimulation and to let them play in trees and try to catch birds and generally have the smells and sights and textures of the world.
0 Replies