See

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
(1) Does "see" mean "To foresee" here?

Context:
Pending Vote, Some Iraqis See Larger Council
By JEFFREY GETTLEMAN and DEXTER FILKINS 9:47 PM ET
Several Iraqi leaders said they wanted the Governing Council to remain in place after the U.S. transferred power back to the Iraqi people.

(2) Do you think if the sentence "What a heart of nostalgia and travel!" fine?

Context:
The delay must be a wish for my stay for a little longer in the motherland. What a heart of nostalgia and travel!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:32 pm
Yes see in this context means to foresee.

An example of how I would rephrase the sentence.
My travel weary, nostalgic heart wishes I could delay leaving the motherland(. /or) and stay a little longer.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:17 pm
Thanks Ceili. Very Happy

The sentence "What a heart of nostalgia and travel!" was written by a Chinese.

What he wanted to express is two aspects --

(1) What a heart for travel! (It means that he loves this travel so much, not that he feels the travel is weary)

(2) What a heart of nostalgia!

So, according to your reply, I think he has failed to express what he wanted to say. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:02 pm
No, not at all. The explanation point was unecessary. I also tried to get rid of the redundancies. I understood what he meant. To paraphrase; his nostalgia implies a longing for the past, in his case the Motherland. Although he loves to travel, he wishes to stay a few days longer.

How about........let me think.

His heart was torn between travel and nostalgia. However, he wished he could delay his departure, and stay in the Motherland a few days longer.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 03:39 am
Yes, the paraphrase could easily be understood. I think I've misunderstood "My travel weary, nostalgic heart" -- because I thought it meant "my travel is weary, nostalgic heart (wishes...)". But in fact it meant "my weary and nostalgic travel-heart". Still, I didn't get what "weary" meant, because I think the traveller was excited at his travel. Confused

PS Have you deemed the original sentence "What a heart of travel and nostalgia!" is fine, Ceili?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:58 am
Hi Oristar, I'm sticking in my two cents.

PS Have you deemed the original sentence "What a heart of travel and nostalgia!" is fine, Ceili?

This is not a sentence. It needs a verb.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
No, it is not fine, that is why my first sentence incorporates both his earlier examples, and my second sentence is just a variation of the theme.

I understood what the man was trying to say, but because it was not proper english, I re-wrote it.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
Hi Roberta,

An expression like "What a guy!" can exist on its own without the help from other elements/structures. It might be probably counted as an exclamatory sentence?

Thnaks Ceili.

And explain the relationship between "weary" and "excited" please.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 06:01 pm
"What a guy" is an exclamation, not a sentence, although one might argue that "what a guy" is a sentence with the "he is" understood. But you're right. It can stand on it's own.
0 Replies