SAY NO TO MILK

mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 06:16 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I don't find it odd at all.

Surly the first milk drinkers recognized that, like infant humans, baby animals could survive on the milk of it's mother. I don't see much of leap to trying it themselves.

The first people to try oysters were the brave ones, in my book.

Good Lord Yes. Oysters...well...I won't even tell you what it feels like I am eating but I avoid that like I would the plaque.

I LOVE milk. Once again...moderation. We seem to think all or nothing because we read it or see it in a commercial. I say follow your gut and how you feel. Too much of anything can be an issue.

I think the bigger issue with food is too many processed foods. I am not saying they need to be cut out entirely - but most definitely limited.

Have no problem with the fact that we are the only species that drinks milk from another animal. We also have reasoning skills that other species don't have. Well....most folks anyway. I have seen a few I question.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 08:15 am
Oysters...... I think humans have been eating those since we strolled along the shores of Africa 200,000 years ago.
Clams--- The first time I had one raw in the shell my Uncle Marty and I were standing waist deep in a little Atlantic Ocean inlet. He cut the shell open and handed it to me. I swallowed it down and felt a little put out that adults had been keeping this wondrous food a secret from me until that point in time.
(We would put a bushel basket in a inner tube and fill it to the top in about forty minutes. Take them home, a quick rinse in cleaner saltwater and then------the feasting. Pass the horseradish and Tabasco.)
(Now, I want to know whatever happened to my clam knife?)
~~
I am always stunned by the knowledge that Taro Root is toxic when it is uncooked. How long did it take humans to figure out that the root was bad when raw but made great poi when soaked and cooked up??

The same with rhubarb, much closer to home, that stuff will give you such a bellyache unless Mom makes it up in a pie with lots of sugar and some strawberries. My hippie friends who only wanted to eat raw foods found this out the hard way. ....

Joe(not so many strawberries, please, I like the bite.)Nation
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 08:19 am
@Joe Nation,
There's some kind of vegetable I found in an Indian store once that you apparently have to peel, pound, and boil for hours before it's edible. It's almost a question of 'why bother', but obviously, if you're hungry you'll do nearly anything, but again... how did they figure that out?
boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 08:40 am
@Joe Nation,
According to my doctor, I "need" milk. I live in a cloudy area and vitamin D deficiencies are a real problem here. Calcium supplements tear my stomach up (like they do for many people). A quick, easy glass of milk takes care of both problems for a low-ish cost. (I pay more per gallon for milk than I do for gasoline, about $7 per gallon v. $5 for gas.) Since I don't have a problem drinking milk it makes sense for me to drink it.

I'm not saying it's the right thing for everyone but for those of us who benefit from it I don't see a problem.

You're right. There is a wide variety in the quality of milk. I had a question about it on here not too long ago. My family taste tested a lot of milk before settling on the local dairy, despite having to drive to a store further away to buy it. We buy whole milk, which I understand has the least amount of processing.

As I mentioned, my adult pets adore milk so I'm not just talking about baby animals. Nearly every pet I've ever had adored milk. If a mother animal didn't force their babies to wean they'd probably continue to drink milk.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 08:44 am
@Mame,
I know !

Somebody told me what they thought was the story of the discovery of poi.

~
Long ago, two chiefs hated each other with red hot hate. One chief decided to poison the other one, so he called his wives and said
"What can we feed my enemy to kill him."
They answered, because no one knew of poi then, "Oh, we know, the taro root makes everybody sick except the pigs."
"But how can we get that bastard to eat what the pigs eat?"
"We know," said the wise wives, "We will cook it into a pudding and put it on banana leaves. AY-yah."
So, they did.
They cooked the taro root and cooked it some more and when it got a nice shiny look to it, they scooped it onto banana leaves and took it to the enemy.
The enemy was no dummy.
He made his wives eat some first, but they liked it so much he had to beat on them to make them stop and let him have some too.
The next day the enemy went to the chief's camp and begged him to be his friend.
"I must be your friend now because you have given my this great gift of food."
The first chief was surprised his enemy was not dead, but he was happy that there would be peace between them.
The Chief's wives showed the enemies wives how to make the poi. They saw that the Chief had really been trying to kill their husband but, because they were as wise as the other wives, they kept that information to themselves for all time.

Joe(can you tell that the person who told me this story was a woman?)Nation Smile
0 Replies

space007

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 09:10 am
@ehBeth,
I drunk milk before, but now I don't .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 09:17 am
@boomerang,
jeezus~~Seven dollars a gallon? Holy cow, no pun intended.

Hey, you do what it takes.

Do you take a Vitamin D dose a day? That would seem to me to more of a problem than calcium, which you can get plenty of if you eat enough cooked greens (Kale, broccoli, mustard, bunch more I can't remember ~ it's been awhile~

OH, and almonds. We used to chop up almonds and figs and make us and the kids candy.)
(until they found out at school one day that it wasn't candy.) Very Happy

~
I'm sitting here trying to think of something my dogs (Sophie, Buster and Duchess) would not drink...... It's difficult....

milk,~~certainly especially if it was out of one of the kids' bowls and had a bit of shredded wheat left it in.

beer~~~ oh, yeah. Gone in a minute.

carrot soup ~~hmmmm, okay..some hesitancy until another dog arrived.

the salty water left over from soaking the codfish into softness. ~~they loved that!!

the left over vegetarian bean chili ----- (DO NOT LET THOSE DAMMED DOGS IN UNTIL THEY STOP FARTING!!)
(It was always so funny.....they would wolf down the remnants at breakneck speed but, when they were done, in the bottom of the bowl would be all of the little bits of carrots and potatoes. They were most certainly NOT vegetarians.

Those dogs were ,as dogs are, the opportunistic hunters in a household of semi-ovo-lacto-vegetarians. (The kids got fish along with eggs and cheese with their veggies and beans, tofu and soy milk. The adults pretty much ate what was green and lightly cooked.)

I was thinking, I couldn't live in a cloudy area, but then I thought, "Hell, you sit inside from 9AM until 5PM five days a week!!"..

..no wonder I spend so much time in the park soaking up the VitD as I trot along the roads.

Joe(Be well)Nation
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:16 am
@ehBeth,
but why? milk is very good to health as it has calcium in it which makes bones strong.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:10 am
Over here the Supermarkets are paying the farmers less than it actually costs to produce. There's been a big song and dance about it, obviously it's unsustainable, and now there's talk of a milk strike.

Quote:
UK milk supplies could be disrupted at the farm gate if prices paid to producers are not reinstated to levels last paid on 1 May, campaigners warned.

Farmers for Action said retailers and processors have until 1 August to renegotiate cuts already made and further proposed reductions.

It had been reported that milk tankers could be blocked from leaving dairies.

Farmers for Action's Andrew Hemming would not comment on blockades, but warned of "severe disruption".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18841427
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 06:56 am
i saw that article too about a week ago.
I was shocked to a certain extent that it was now being publicized that commercial cow milk is actually NOT good for you. I have known that for years.

Sometimes it really bothers me how main stream media is never held responsible for their short comings / lies...
aspvenom

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
But then how will I eat my oreo cookies without milk?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Sometimes it really bothers me how main stream media is never held responsible for their short comings / lies...

It's hardly the fault of the media, shewolf. The media is just reporting the sometimes hilarious waffling of the medical/dietetic/nutritional "experts" who keep backtracking on previous pronouncements.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:32 pm
@Isabela,
Read some of the articles posted here, Isabela, maybe it's not so good for some people.

Joe(especially anyone over two years old)Nation
dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:30 pm
@Joe Nation,
I said yes to milk with my morning coffee. There's some new thing with the milk....no something or other. No invisible things that take away from the milkiness.

There's always something.

Milk with this, without that....all dressed up in fancy packets.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:08 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Moot point for me though.

You've misused 'moot' here, Lash. As a teacher you should know better. I surely hope to dog that you are not passing on these egregious mistakes to your students.
JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:13 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Sheep and goats they kept both because they will graze in winter, even with snow on the ground,

As will cattle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:24 pm
@JTT,
What do you mean? She can't drink milk at all because of the lactose intolerance, so it's moot whether it's healthy (for lactose-tolerant people) or not -- she won't be drinking it either way.
JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:32 pm
@farmerman,
I give you Farmerman, the scientist.

Quote:
the problem with milk is that its over-processed.

Aren't raw or natural foods better than processed foods?

Many people believe that foods with no or minimal processing are better for their health. Many people also believe that small, local farms are better sources of healthy food. However, some types of processing are needed to protect health. For example, consumers process raw meat, poultry, and fish for safety by cooking. Similarly, when milk is pasteurized, it is heated just long enough to kill disease-causing germs. Most nutrients remain after milk is pasteurized. There are many local, small farms that offer pasteurized organic milk and cheese products.

Quote:
We drink RAW milk and its from licensed producing dairies who are inspected each tankful. The requirements on their chillers and storage equipment os much higher than for pateurized homogenized milk.

My farmer performs laboratory tests for bacteria in raw milk, so isn’t it safe?
Even negative tests do not guarantee that raw milk is safe to drink. People have become very sick from drinking raw milk that came from farms that regularly tested their milk for bacteria and whose owners were sure that their milk was safe.

Quote:
I agree that theres no reason to dink highly processed milk because all the enzymes are gone .

Is it true that raw milk has more enzymes and nutrients than pasteurized milk?
While it’s true that the heating process of pasteurization does inactivate some enzymes in milk, the enzymes in raw animal milk are not thought to be important in human health. Some nutrients are somewhat reduced in raw milk, but the United States diet generally has plenty of other sources of these nutrients. For example, vitamin C is reduced by pasteurization, but raw milk is not a major source of vitamin C.

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html#enzymes

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:37 pm
I am diabetic and there is no way am I going to waste my available carb intake on milk. Love cheese, yogurt and cream in my coffee though. Count me amongst the people who were for a very long time ignorant on how high in sugar milk is. Back before I was Diabetic at least I had enough sense to avoid the low fat milk, I did enjoy my whole milk back then.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
So, I stand by what I said. Drinking cows milk is an acceptable behavior for us, but we are the only mammal on the planet who does so and I find that odd.

Do you also find it odd that hippos don't eat M&Ms, Joe, that deer don't wander up to Pizza Hut takeout windows, elk don't eat carrion?

Not your best A2K argument fer sure.