To drink milk or not to drink milk...?

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:35 pm
Do you drink milk as an adult?

Not just asking if you add milk to your coffee or tea or the occasional milk shake. Or add it to your cereal.

1%? 2%? Skim? Whole? Almond? Soy? Goat? Etc...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 25 • Views: 10,049 • Replies: 109
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:40 pm
The way I look at it, they said, "Don't eat eggs." I continued to eat eggs. Now they say it's good to eat eggs. People say, "Don't drink milk." I continue to drink milk.
Glennn

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
And now they say, "Don't eat Tide laundry soap pods." Will you continue?
edgarblythe

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 08:47 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

And now they say, "Don't eat Tide laundry soap pods." Will you continue?

Yes. I will drink milk every day, no matter what.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 09:54 pm
I stopped drinking cow's milk because of lactose intolerance. I now use vanilla almond milk. I use it in things, like cereal, but do not drink it as a beverage.
chai2

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:10 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Like you phoenix, I'm lactose intolerant.

I don't drink soy because I avoid soy, and I don't like the taste of almond milk.

That's fine, because I don't eat cereal either.

When the thought occured to me years ago I was drinking what was meant for calves, it really turned me off.

I did goat milk for awhile, because it's easier to digest than cow milk. But too many carbs.

Hm.. I'm gonna have to go look up the history of drinking other animals milk now.

0 Replies

Roberta

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:00 pm
I drink at least one glass of whole milk a day.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I drink milk on a somewhat regular basis. I can go days without and manage okay.

Usually cow's milk and most times I get the 2% fat. If some recipe needs milk I go for whole or use half and half.

Never used soy or rice milk and feel guilty about the water amount needed for almond milk. Cashew milk is another option and works best if it's mixed into something.

Just about anything is better than the powdered (dry) milk which Mother always gave us growing up.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Never. It's not really something we do over here which is why they're trying to push it.

To be honest the thought of drinking a glass of milk makes me feel a bit queasy.
PUNKEY

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:16 am
I have never been a milk drinker - except with a baloney sandwich ( with mustard) Haven't had that since I was nine.

I do like chocolate milk in my coffee.

And I eat cheese every day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:17 am
@izzythepush,
https://i.imgur.com/LTMkFYd.jpg
izzythepush

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't remember that. I do remember this campaign from the 70s, mostly aimed at kids.

0 Replies

roger

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:25 am
PSA: that stuff comes out of cows and things like that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:50 am
@tsarstepan,
my wife iw llactose intolerant yet we both enjoy RAW milk. (We have a few licensed raw milk dairies ). Its really kind of amazing how my wife has no adverse reactions after drinking raw milk.
We do our baking nd make all puddings with raw milk.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 03:11 am
@farmerman,
What are raw milk dairies resp. what is done with the raw milk there?

Here, you get raw milk directly from the farm, 24/24 ...

https://i.imgur.com/qSEf4Uw.jpg
Normal milk from the left pump, organic from the right.
farmerman

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 03:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A raw milk dairy is essentially a farm with a prep area, bactee lab, and storage and bottling facility. These guys are inspected more frequently and have batch bacteriologic sampling and residuals sampling for the organic brand.

We buy the regular non organic kind and its not dispensed at a fountain like yours. We can only buy it in half gallon and gallon glass jugs which are returnable and credited.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I still drink milk a couple times a week (beyond adding it to tea or my cereal). Try to stick with skim. On weekends, when I find myself at Whole Foods before going to a movie or meeting a friend for some activity, I'd buy a pint of chocolate milk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:28 am
I haven't had a glass of plain white milk in about 40 years. I don't like the way it feels in my mouth and it never really tasted like anything to me. Every now and then I will binge on a litre of 1% chocolate milk - that stuff tastes good to me.

I like some cereals as snack food so no milk needed there. At a trade fair I had some almond weetabix with warm almond milk. It was good enough, but not good enough to want to bring it into my house.

I don't understand why anyone would bother with any of the alterna-milks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:45 am
I have read from a number of sources that whole milk is healthiest to use. Here is a Time article about that.

For years you’ve been told to go for skim over full-fat dairy. Even the latest dietary guidelines for Americans urge people to avoid the full fat, and following this lead, school lunch programs provide only low-fat milk and no whole milk at all, even though they do allow chocolate skim milk with its added sugars. But large population studies that look at possible links between full-fat dairy consumption, weight and disease risk are starting to call that advice into question. And some research suggests people who consume full-fat dairy weigh less and are less likely to develop diabetes, too.

http://time.com/4279538/low-fat-milk-vs-whole-milk/
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:20 pm
I can’t drink regular milk.

I have a sensitivity to...most food in America... haha.

Here is an interesting entry about why I don’t drink milk.

Casein A1 Milk – It may sound like science fiction, but a couple thousand years ago cows in Northern Europe suffered a genetic mutation. The result was a lectin-like protein in their milk called casein A1. Turns out, casein A1 is converted to a protein called beta-casomorphin. And this protein can prompt an immune attack on the pancreas of people who consume milk from these cows, or cheeses made from it.

Most store-bought milk in your grocery store, even if it’s organic, is A1 milk.
The unmutated cows, found primarily in Southern Europe, produce a safe protein called casein A2. When people think they’re lactose intolerant, they’re generally affected by casein A1. So, eliminate casein A1 milk from your diet.
Instead, stick to A2 milk, Southern European cow’s milk, goat’s milk, and buffalo milk. Health foods stores are pretty good about carrying these. Also, consider these milks an indulgence, and consume them only in moderate quantities.
—————————
Taken from the research of my guru, Dr. Steven Gundry.