Joining nouns to form new words. How wrong is it?

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:27 am
Hello, everyone! I'm a Spanish singer/songwriter and after months of writing the lyrics for my new album I've decided to call it "Tales of the Windwar". "Windwar" is obviously two words that shouldn't go together, but my question is: To what extent would this "compound" be valid? Should I call it something like "Tales of the Winds" instead? I would never join words like that in Spanish cause it would just look wrong, but I know English is often more flexible. I can't wait to read how everyone's views on the subject, let me know how you perceive this term. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 02:13 am
If there were a context in w hich windwar made sense (in this case, obviously, a fictional context) there would be nothing unusual about it. The caveat i would offer would be to ask if the listener would readily understand what windwar means. Even in the case of a clear reason for referring to a wind war, i suggest to you that two words--wind war--would be more reasonable. People do form compound neologisms, but there has to be a clear logic behind the practice.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 04:36 am
@Setanta,
German is always the language we hold up as the greatest exemplar of the "Complex compound word'.
I can only recall "Fernschnellzugmitdurchgangswagen"

Or the germanicized description of the V2 rocket;
""Loudenswischenanzflugmitgrossenflaschenboomenholingrund"

Ive heard "Warwinds" already as a newspaper reporter neologism. Somethimes these compound words get legs and are quickly adopted into colloquial speak. Words like "tacklebox" or "Posthole-driver" become compound words AND hyphenated phrases. Ive seen "cablebox" as a single compound word in some ads, Same thing with "Filmateleven" .
We do this in natural sciences a lot. I have no reason why since it is often difficult to place compound words in technical dictionaries. WE generate new (often really stupid new techy words and start using them without anyone voicing a valid opinion), like "Planktivorous" or "Stinkdamp"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 04:39 am
I am less familiar with technical jargon. If one were writing fiction, something like windwars might be more acceptable because there would be a context into which the idea fits. One could intuit the meaning from the context. I question whether or not that would be possible with musical composition.

I wanted to say that the author's English is very good. The OP is well composed.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 05:31 am
@thehauntedman,
It's fine, writers do this sort of thing all the time.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
Yep.
I cram words together as much as I can. Sometimes it's poetic, sometimes it's funny bordering on the pun-ish.

Joe( or would that be punnie?)Nation

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:47 am
@thehauntedman,
thehauntedman wrote:
"Tales of the Windwar". "Windwar" is obviously two words that shouldn't go together, but my question is: To what extent would this "compound" be valid?

I am a second-language English speakers who struggles with questions like this a lot, and resorts to usage dictionaries to answer them. My usage dictionaries' stand on compounds is that you can compound any combination of words you like. But when you do, you should separate them with hyphens to mark them as compounds. You can only drop the hyphen much later (if at all), when the compound has become a fixed expression and is one word in the speakers' minds anyway. So for your purposes, "wind war" and "wind-war" are both valid, though "windwar" is probably not.
0 Replies

thehauntedman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
Thanks a lot everyone, I'm really enjoying reading your different takes on the matter. I've often been told anything's possible (and acceptable) in poetic works, song lyrics included, I'm just too much of a control freak not to make sure everything I write makes sense Wink

I'm also a bit of an album titles nazi (for lack of a better word) in terms of the way they look, and I don't like hyphenated words and titles which are too long. So I'm thinking I'll probably go with my initial idea :S Do you guys think it's an awkward-looking compound word then, at first sight?

It does make sense in the context of the lyrics, but to be honest, people who listen to my music are mostly Spanish and sadly don't pay much attention to lyrics :S
contrex

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@thehauntedman,
thehauntedman wrote:
It does make sense in the context of the lyrics, but to be honest, people who listen to my music are mostly Spanish and sadly don't pay much attention to lyrics :S

I am English and I love Spanish pop music. I have to tell you that I love both Eva Amaral and Lourdes Hernandez (Russian Red) equally. The latter only sings in English but her accent and slightly eccentric English style are so charming. Also she is beautiful. Do not strive to be too authentic!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 07:53 pm
@thehauntedman,
I'm fine with your original choice, thehauntedman.

English is my first language, and I've no full second one, though I studied a few.
I like to play with words and I sometimes make them up, combine words, or hyphenate words. I'm much less strict than Thomas's usage guide, though I certainly get why that is a help. (I still have most of my italian work books and texts.) I think a lot of americans don't mind toying with words, and I know some australians and brits that like word play, and then... and then there's the irish!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 08:14 pm
I see nothing at all wrong with a word like 'windwar' as long as the lyrics of the song justify it, either by indicating what is meant by that word, or in a strictly lyical sense.
thehauntedman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 02:43 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I think it would be possible to "get" the title for anyone who actually read the lyrics because, even if I don't really specify what The Windwar is, I do reference the wind and storms as a source of impending doom, which is meant to represent something I fear and how I struggle with it but is also, let's say, abstract enough to represent other people's personal fears.

It's always tricky to write a concept album without sounding horribly pretentious! :S

Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming! Smile
contrex

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:25 am
@thehauntedman,
thehauntedman wrote:
I think it would be possible to "get" the title for anyone who actually read the lyrics because, even if I don't really specify what The Windwar is, I do reference the wind and storms as a source of impending doom, which is meant to represent something I fear and how I struggle with it but is also, let's say, abstract enough to represent other people's personal fears.

The title of a work art - a music album, a painting, a poem, a song, a novel, a film, whatever, can be anything you like, and invented words or combinations of words are perfectly OK.
0 Replies