jespah

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:33 pm
The Oscar-winning actor (for Marty) was 95.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/oscar-winning-film-star-ernest-borgnine-dies-16736740

"Sooner or later, there comes a point in a man's life when he's gotta face some facts. And one fact I gotta face is that, whatever it is that women like, I ain't got it. I chased after enough girls in my life. I-I went to enough dances. I got hurt enough. I don't wanna get hurt no more." - Marty

Rest peacefully, Everyman.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,720 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:34 pm
I loved the guy. RIP EB
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
Marty really tore me up.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@panzade,
Whatta you want to do, Marty?
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Loved his acting in that role and many others. What a movie. The dialogue in Marty and his potrayal still stay with me...it might be 20 yrs since I've last seen it . May he RIP. Living 95 yrs and having a Hollywood career that spanned many decades is pretty amazing as a legacy.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:57 pm
@Ragman,
I'm alllllmost positive I saw Marty in the theater around '55.

That screenplay was by Paddy Chayefsky.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Yup! From my memory, I believe that it was.

"I don't know Angie, what do you wanna do?"

"All my brothers and brothers-in-laws tell me what a good-hearted guy I am. You don't get to be good-hearted by accident. You get kicked around long enough, you become a professor of pain!"
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:27 pm
He was one of the very few Hollywood actors who could make the transition from 'heavy' to 'nice guy', from drama to comedy, from movies to TV seemingly effortlessly. He started out as the classic tough guy villain in films like Bad Day at Black Rock and From Here to Eternity, where he got to beat the crap out of Frank Sinatra, then did a total about-face in Marty, the fine Chayefsky screenplay directed by Delbert Mann. Then, after a series of run-of-the-mill movies, he came over to TV and created a hit series in "McHale's Navy."

For those of you who didn't know (but might care) he was also a 33rd Degree Mason. There is (or used to be) a whole display of Borgnine paraphernalia at the 16th St. lodge in Washington, DC. [In the interests of full disclosure, I am not a widow's son, so my giving away lodge secrets does not constitute breech of confidence.]

RIP, Ernest.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
I remember Borgnine best from McHale's Navy. I enjoyed the series.

He had a good run at life.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:28 pm
I never saw Marty, I suppose we will hve to get it on Netflix. I liked McHales navy . He was a groundbreker of the assembly form of comedy where he, the lea dude, was relly plying the strait man usually.
Like Andy Griffin , Borgnine let others be funny.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:38 pm
Not only did "Marty" show a world that is now gone forever, it also showed, in my opinion, how we have become jaded in what constitutes a good time with people. People who knew the Bronx in that time might lament the most?
0 Replies