Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
I keep seeing Obamacare being compared to Romneycare as though it will in some way be Romney's undoing in the upcoming election. The problem, as I see it, is that Romey established a statewide mandate that people have health insurance. Let me highlight the important part of that statement... STATEWIDE. People in Massachusetts have the option of moving out of Mass if they don't like that. NJ, NY, RI & ME do not have those laws and people can move there and not be mandated to have insurance and still be entitled to all the things that make America great.

Obamacare carries the same mandate, but now, people can not simply move out of their state. Now they must decide to leave the country... unacceptable. States have rights and the people of the United States also have rights. I am hopeful that in the next election cycle that the people decide to speak up against the federal government oppression of their rights and vote for the people that will eliminate yet another example of the federal government over-stepping it's boundaries.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 8,299 • Replies: 128

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
@McGentrix,
Why is it acceptable to be forced to leave one's state, but not one's country, if you don't want to comply with the law? Serious question.

There is no oppression of people's rights going on - the SC just cleared that right up. Unless you think you have a right to not follow the law for some reason?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:15 pm
@McGentrix,
What right is being oppressed for you McG?

The government has the power to tax. That is not a right that Obamacare took away from you.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Pretty lame argument since the same could be said for any fedeal law or tax.

Republicans must be figurativily tearing their hair out for picking Romney about now.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:33 pm
@McGentrix,
Notice how smoothly 'penalty' has morphed into 'tax'? Like noone had ever called it a tax from beginning to end.

Still, like the others, the option of moving out of state isn't a satisfactory answer, and Romney is going to have to deal with this.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:34 pm
I am proud of Mc.

He wants the right to continue to pay an extra grand a year so the uninsured can continue to overuse the ERs of this country as their primary care physicians.

He wants the right to be told by his employer what his choice is for healthcare insurance. He wants to pay part of his pay to a company he had no say in choosing, and believes doing it that way has to be a lot better than trying to decide which one of the several competing companies on his State's Insurance Exchange he could actually pick from and tell his boss to pony up the cash to pay for. (Is he not worth the cost?)

He thinks it's much wiser to let insurance company executives decide whether or not that pre-existing condition disqualifies him from getting insurance. (Who would know better?)

And, if in the middle of recovering from a massive head injury sustained in crash with a drunk driver( now deceased in testate) that same insurance company sends him an unsigned letter stating that he has reached the limit of his Major Medical Policy, well, he just accepts it as just the way it is.

Joe(Yeah, that's the way it is to be free in the land of the free)Nation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:37 pm
@roger,
Penalty is just another word for "tax". Government raises revenues by taxation. Every way government gets revenues is really a tax. The only difference is how that tax is levied and who gets hit with it.
engineer

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:49 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The problem, as I see it, is that Romey established a statewide mandate that people have health insurance. Let me highlight the important part of that statement... STATEWIDE. People in Massachusetts have the option of moving out of Mass if they don't like that. NJ, NY, RI & ME do not have those laws and people can move there and not be mandated to have insurance and still be entitled to all the things that make America great.

So if 49 states pass "Romneycare" and only one state is left, that state is not allowed to pass it because then people would have to leave the country to continue to not have healthcare?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:58 pm
@parados,
So, why did the Obama segment of the population so stoutly deny it was a tax?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

So, why did the Obama segment of the population so stoutly deny it was a tax?

Political reasons - your bunch have turned the word 'tax' into some sort of epithet. Isn't that obvious?

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:48 pm
@roger,
Why has the Conservative segment been more than happy to pass "fees" while loudly proclaiming they have never raised a tax on anyone?

It's political BS to blind the ignorant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yup; conservatives want our taxes to be zero, but especially for the wealthy folks, because that'll be a transfer of their wealth to other Americans.

No defense, no teachers, no schools, no roads or bridges, no social security, no medicare, no medical, no police and fire departments, no mayors, no government workers, no water, and no air controllers.

Zero taxes for everyone!

What a goal.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 02:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If the people on Fox said the word BUTTER with really mean faces every time they said for about a month, all the yahoos would start yelling at their waiters, "What, sir? You put that damnable stuff on my plate?"

Joe(My word!)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 02:40 pm
@McGentrix,
Let's look at the real facts of all those universal health care countries; how many moved to other countries, because they now have health care?

1? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? How about none?

Logical conclusion: It's more like people moving in rather than moving out.

Except for conservatives in the US, most other people have "brains" that works!

BTW, how many MA citizens moved out of state because they now have health care?
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:07 pm
@roger,
"Ever wonder why the Romney folks referred to Romneycare as a tax for so long, but suddenly they're referring to it as a penalty?"

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw4X1xwP3XSfcRJT8JozeInVLCCBg61IxmTa8JDcKMb6wJmNq2Bw
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
Do most of you think in 8 or so years most citizens will come to realize what a bull **** arguement the conservatives had about health care?
nqyringmind

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Hopefully, in years to come citizens will realize a lot about the constant shovel-fulls of bullshit we're all being fed on so many levels.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:21 pm
Ok, so no discussion about states rights to be seen. Just the usual stuff.

Nevermind then.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:24 pm
@McGentrix,
Our country still has "state's rights." You must understand some basic facts that federal laws supersede state laws.

Where did you learn about our country?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:59 pm
@McGentrix,
Did people leave Massachusetts as a result of Romneycare?