snood

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 05:40 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Totally agree with ehBeth on this one. There's damned little difference between the two major parties in what they espouse or how they behave.

A bunch of bullshit.

Of course there isn't... Don't worry yourself too much about it. No one wants you to have to leave your happy place where the unicorns drink from the golden fountains and the rainbows light up the sky. It's safe there in fantasyland...

Democrats support same sex marriage, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support immigration reform, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support universal healthcare, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support legislation to prevent hate crimes, Republicans oppose it.

address these specifically (for starters), or stfu about how "identical" the two parties are...
McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@snood,
Dems opposed to same sex marriage
Reps who support gay marriage

You will need to define what you consider Immigration reform because people are all over the place on that.

Universal healthcare? Not even Obamacare comes close to that. Maybe some extremist left wingers are into that, but the Democrats? Hardly.

Legislation to prevent hate crimes? Do you really think Republicans would be against that? Really? You guys must have so much, I don't know what, fear? Hatred? in your hearts against Republicans to believe such horseshit.

Anyways, you give 4 examples and all the sudden Dems and Reps are so vastly different... get a grip. There are some base ideological differences for sure. But, $ overcomes all those.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:21 am
@McGentrix,
You are right McGentrix. There are a couple of Democrats opposed to gay marriage, and a couple of Republicans who support it. Good.

Kumbaya McGentrix, Kumbaya.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:24 am
@McGentrix,
... and if I understand your post correctly, you don't think it will be such a bad thing when Obama wins a second term (seeing as they are all the same anyway).
snood

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:26 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

... and if I understand your post correctly, you don't think it will be such a bad thing when Obama wins a second term (seeing as they are all the same anyway).

Heh heh
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I mean my mind is blown.

Well, that's been obvious for some time.

Ya'll are still holding onto the fantasy that the Iraq invasion was somehow justified?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:33 am
@DrewDad,
In other news, the Romney campaign has flipped (or is it flopped?) on the idea of whether PACA is a tax.

After a campaign spokesman stated that Romney did not believe that the individual mandate is a tax, Romney has now stated that he does believe it is a tax.

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It won't be the end of the world, no. I have a thread here somewhere demonstrating the multitude of ways Obama is a lot like Bush. So if you guys are ok with Bush 2, I guess I can be ok with Obama as well. I know where my vote will go and I assume you know where yours will go. Best we can hope for is that the majority side with me and not you. Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:53 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
I mean my mind is blown.

Ya'll are still holding onto the fantasy that the Iraq invasion was somehow justified?

Do you guys see the Afghanistan war as somehow unjustified?
snood

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
I mean my mind is blown.

Do you guys see the Afghanistan war as somehow unjustified?

WTF? You answer a question about the Iraq war by asking about the Afghani one? Are you stupid or do you just think everyone else is? Or, maybe you're running for some office?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:27 am
@snood,
Let me know when you have something to add here Snood. The pom-poms you are waving are getting in the way. Get off the sideline if you wish, otherwise just go have a nice hot cup of STFU.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
As far as behavior, there is a huge difference in the level of vitriol coming from each side

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/negative-campaigning-2012-6/

an interesting 6 page piece on negative campaigning and what Obama's team should be targetting

Quote:
What was everyone so shocked about? As far back as August 2011, Obama’s political hit men were signaling the inevitable to Politico: The president, “resigned to running for reelection in a glum nation,” had little choice “but to run a slashing, personal campaign aimed at disqualifying his likeliest opponent.”

Quote:
“What ever happened to hope and change?” asked Bob Schieffer of CBS News. He apparently forgot that even the sainted Obama hope-and-change campaign of 2008 spent heavily on negative ads—more than the ­McCain campaign did. (Does no one recall the exquisite “Seven,” in which the old hero was presented as a doddering doofus unable to name the number of houses he owned?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:30 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Democrats support same sex marriage, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support immigration reform, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support universal healthcare, Republicans oppose it.
Democrats support legislation to prevent hate crimes, Republicans oppose it.

it's simply not that straight-line

it's not 100% of each side on "their" side
snood

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:55 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Let me know when you have something to add here Snood. The pom-poms you are waving are getting in the way. Get off the sideline if you wish, otherwise just go have a nice hot cup of STFU.

So... you can't answer the question. Got it.
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:08 am
@snood,
He's avoiding the Iraq question just like he avoided the unfunded question.

It's much easier to call us names and pretend we did things we never did.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:17 am
@parados,
and you both demonstrate the point that I was making to c.i. earlier - adherents are going to stick to their preference, regardless of what is said or done by their party leaders
snood

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:20 am
@ehBeth,
And you seem to adhere to the line that both parties are the same, no matter what evidence you are presented with.
parados

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:21 am
@ehBeth,
I agree with that point. It often takes a major f-up before people see the problems with their preferred side.

It often helps to stop every so often and compare your core values to those of each party. While their may be a few things I disagree with in the Democratic party platform, they don't begin to compare to the things I disagree with in the GOP platform.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:26 am
@snood,
I think ehbeth's point was that there are blind followers on the left and on the right. The followers are the same because they don't care what their leaders do not that the leaders do the same things.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 09:26 am
@snood,
I don't think they're identical, but I don't see fundamental, meaningful differences in what they actually do.

I see differences in what fringe elements of each party say - but I don't see that difference in the actual decision makers.

Both parties are slightly to the right of the global political centre. It's interesting watching them try to mark out differences, but they're just not there. Most American Republicans and Democrats would find themselves in the same party in countries with broader political ranges.
0 Replies