Sense of identity

Aranza

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 12:58 pm
If you are in a relationship with no secrets for one another. Do you still have a sense of identity of your own? And if not, are we potentially happier alone with your sense of identity intact and happier together with secrets? Therefore secrets are good in a relationship.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 788 • Replies: 4
No top replies

nqyringmind

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:17 pm
@Aranza,
Stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart...

Kahlil Gibran
vikorr

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:30 pm
@Aranza,
It's quite impossible to tell another person all of who you are.

It's also quite possible to be completely open about who you are without losing your sense of self (in fact, being completely open requires that you have a 'self')

Secrets on the other hand, are a different kettle of fish. We shouldn't share other peoples secrets shared with us in confidence.

And, because we are human, and make mistakes, and grow past those mistakes...there is no reason to share our secret mistakes with another, even a husband/wife. When they meet us - they fall in love with us for who we are now, not who we were in the past.

And there are some secrets that simply are no business of anyone else, husband/wife included.

It's actually incredibly common for couples to keep secrets from each other. Usually it's only younger people who don't realise the need - perhaps because they have been filled with an idealic sense of romance, rather than a real sense of who we are as people. Choosing which secrets to keep is about a sense of self (ie you know who you are and what you'd like to share or not), and a sense of judgement (you know who the other person is, and whether or not you 'should' share it with them)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:38 pm
@nqyringmind,
I agree with Gibran on that, though I got sick of hearing about him in his popular heyday.

Also it is essentially boring to know every possible little thing about someone, even a mate.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 01:17 am
@Aranza,
Quote:
“Man has no individual I. But there are, instead, hundreds and thousands of separate small "i"s, very often entirely unknown to one another, never coming into contact, or, on the contrary, hostile to each other, mutually exclusive and incompatible. Each minute, each moment, man is saying or thinking, "i". And each time his i is different. just now it was a thought, now it is a desire, now a sensation, now another thought, and so on, endlessly. Man is a plurality. Man's name is legion.”

― G.I. Gurdjieff

....and what you might observe in "yourself" will also be true of your partner.
0 Replies