Run-on sentence debate

btse6

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:14 am
Warning: this is a really dry topic :-)

I am having a debate with a colleague at work who wrote (as part of a regulation) the following: "The local agency will provide documentation to meet the requirements (1) through (7) above, by signing the ECS WSDOT and FHWA concur with the local agency’s determination, and that the market value of the property can be used as match.” I pointed out that this is a run-on sentence and suggested a period in place of the first comma. The author then came back with a suggestion that the first comma remain in place, and that, instead, the second comma be replaced by a period!

The author doesn't believe I'm a sufficiently qualified "expert" in English grammar to correct her work, and so I am looking for a third party opinion to support my position. I'm actually having fun with this silly little debate, but I'd love to be able to say that my opinion was supported on this esteemed forum!

My thanks to anyone who had the fortitude to read all the way through my post....

Tom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 717 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:23 am
@btse6,
Hello Tom!

I'm not sure of the intended meaning of the sentence. It does seem wonky as-is. My suggested edit, depending on the meaning, would be:

"The local agency will provide documentation to meet the requirements (1) through (7) above. By signing the ECS, WSDOT and FHWA concur with the local agency’s determination, and agree that the market value of the property can be used as match.”

I can't see how the second comma being replaced by a period would make sense, but it depends somewhat on the meaning of ECS, WSDOT, and FHWA. (I'm assuming that the ECS is a document of some sort, and that the WSDOT and FHWA are organizations of some sort.)
btse6

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:27 am
@sozobe,
Thanks, Sozobe! How very perceptive of you to parse out the facts regarding ECS, WSDOT and FHWA. And yes, this is wonkiness to the nth degree. I like your insertion of "agree".

Tom
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:05 pm
@btse6,
Quote:
I pointed out that this is a run-on sentence and suggested a period in place of the first comma.

Is it a run on sentence?
0 Replies