Electric cars, a fad and its own demise?

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't exactly suggest that.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 08:49 pm
@roger,
yeh but you still win a truckload of mesquite wood
roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 09:32 pm
@farmerman,
Only thing to do with that is sell it North.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
Swapping batteries obviously would require an all new approach to design with some international agreements between car manufacturers...I merely pointed out it can be done...
aspvenom

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
It is done. It's faster than recharging a battery. But I still have qualms about these electric batteries when considering pollution numbers and practicality (miles that can driven on a single charged battery).

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:59 pm
@aspvenom,
"It can be done" is certqinly not a reason tht it OUGHTQ be done.
Economically the places where swap out batteries would be located would have to be based upon existing infrastructure. How do you get a battery to a guy who just ran dead in East Jabip?
aspvenom

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
I should have clarified that it is done in a place, in that the idea has been brought forth to reality.

Changing the current infrastructure is always the biggest expense and the biggest road block.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:19 pm
@aspvenom,
yep, but then that was always the case whatever tech revolution we think off....I agree with you regarding the nasty pollution batteries can do not to mention the fossil sources for the juice itself...tricky !
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 06:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I still say

If you want an electric car or a plug in hybrid, then you must invest in the tech (like a solar power 0.5Kv charger system) AND, you must limit the use of that vehicle within its proscribed range per unit time.

Until we have the nationwide infrastructure that can handle uninterrupted power changeouts or quick charging, these types of vehicles will be marginal.

Plug-in hybrids seem like a neat idea if the entire concept of "INDOMITABLE POWER" is fushed from the mind of US males.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not super keen on plug-ins, but I guess it's a possibility. I do remember not buying a Cd player because there weren't that many CDs. There weren't many CDs because there were so few CD. When the economy and the technology come together (if), it could happen quickly.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:04 pm
@roger,
With the current oligarchy-like corps, they'll make sure and try very hard to make sure that technology and economy doesn't come together, unless there is a benefit in it for them.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@Val Killmore,
...you mean a technology to screw technology gains...that one evolves faster then light...
...what do you think science fiction is good for ? Mr. Green
roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You mean like that 100mpg carburator they supressed back in the 30s?

One thing, though; when you see Exxon taking a major position in batteries and fuel cells, you know which way to bet.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@roger,
After the Da Vinci code the next big book will involve a conspiracy with Jules Verne and the industry...
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
@roger,
That 100mpg carburetor is a myth.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp
roger

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:12 pm
@Val Killmore,
I suppose you are thinking I was unaware of that.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:25 pm
@roger,
I just stated it in surprise, cause I believed that myth, until a friend explained it to me recently.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:31 pm
@Val Killmore,
I see. I was inspired by this:

Val Killmore wrote:

With the current oligarchy-like corps, they'll make sure and try very hard to make sure that technology and economy doesn't come together, unless there is a benefit in it for them.

It seemed like you were into too many conspiracy theories, so I pointed out the most obviously failed theory.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:49 pm
There was an intersting interview on the radio today with a gentleman who alleges that electric cars are not, in fact, "friendlier" to the environment than gasoline powered cars. He pointed out the pollution of the electric generating plants upon which they rely, and that they use light-weight alloys which are far more polluting in production than the steel of standard automobiles. He also said that most gasoline powered cars which are heavily polluting are only heavily polluting because they are poorly maintained.
0 Replies