High school Daycare Centers

rebelangel3002

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:18 am
High school daycares
I will speak firsthand of highschool daycare centers, because my high school had one. When I became pregnant in my junior year of high school my only concern was how to tell my mom, not child care. I knew my school had a daycare, and i went to enroll my unborn child in it. I was amazed to find out that I had to be on a waiting list because the center was full. How awful is that?? I would have killed to have more then one child care centers in or even near my high school, specifially for teen parents.

I put up a fight and when my daughter was born she entered the high school daycare along with all the other children. And it was the worst thing I found! For many, this daycare worked. But for me, it was terrible. i am an over protective mother and didn't want my newborn to be taken care of by other teens learning to care for infants.

Motherhood is an instinct, it's not taught through child care centers. I think that the high school daycares are great, but shouldn't be run by other teens. I like the idea of having a daycare within a highschool because it gives teen parents the option to finish high school and make a better life for themself and their child. It's obvious the teen already made one mistake, don't have them make another by not finishing high school.

I was fortunate enough to find a friend who could babysit for me while i finished my last semester of high school, and I, infact, graduated with honors and proudly walked down the isle with the rest of the graduating teen parents. If you'd like to know, my graduating class had about 30 pregnant or teen parents, and we all made it because child care was an option for us. My friends were supportive, along with all the other teen parents and i wouldn't have thought twice about leaving my school.
0 Replies

endless angst

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:18 am
the answer is simple..parenting..parents are responsible for the way their children are raised..and the way their children act...and ultimately the decisions their children make..i read where someone said there should be better sex-ed in school....it's not the schools responsibility to teach our children about sex..it's ours..if you want to stop teen pregnancy you need to stop teens from getting pregnant..condoms are not a very viable option..abstinance is the only way to stop unwanted pregnany..too many times is a girl sweet talked into having unprotected sex..psychologically manipulated by someone they think they are in love with..it starts at home..we are responsible for what our children do so why should the government provide day care for teen mothers when it's not the governments responsibility to raise our children..it's ours..pregnancy is not an accident, there is no such thing as an accidental pregnancy..only an irresponsible one..if we teach our kids about the consequences of their actions and make them be responsible for them they will be less likely to do them..it starts at home and carries out into society..we are responsible for our childrens actions because it is our place to raise them..to teach them good and bad..right and wrong..acceptable and unacceptable..social acceptability is no excuse for parental irresponsibility..they are our children..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:49 am
Oh my my.

Welcome to A2K, endless angst.

I'm not even sure where to start....

Yes, our children are our responsibility -- that I do agree with.

Unfortunately many people don't bother to feed their dogs much less parent their kids. Should children be further punished if their parent's are negligent?

The government provides these centers because they want tax payers. A person with an education will more likely become a tax payer. Simple.

Do you think schools should not address health issues? Diet? Exercise? Smoking? Drug use? How does sexual health differ from other health issues?

There are such a things as accidental pregnancies and girls are not always sweet young things lured in by conniving boys.

In Perfect World all parents might be wonderful but out here in Real World some of them are crap. Some kids with wonderful parents make mistakes. How does anyone learn consequences if they never make a mistake?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:28 pm
Quote:
In Perfect World all parents might be wonderful but out here in Real World some of them are crap. Some kids with wonderful parents make mistakes. How does anyone learn consequences if they never make a mistake?

well said ! APPLAUSE !!!
hbg
0 Replies

Jerry Tuit

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:57 am
@roverroad,
My argument is why should our tax dollars pay for daycare centers at the local high schools and why should our tax dollars pay to equipped our county school bus with infant seats and car seats to accommodate young girls that that couldn’t keep their legs closed or that didn’t use protection. I have raise my children and never depended on anyone but myself to pay for their daycare so why should I have to pay for these children’s babies. That being said I respect the fact that they want to finish school so maybe they will get off the system if we’re lucky. I also believe that if we do have to pay for this, then when they graduate from school then they should start paying us back in monthly payments for daycare services rendered, just like we have to when we have a student loan. If they decide to go to college then the payments would be deferred until after they graduate from college. I understand this will offend some people but maybe that’s what we need to do.
0 Replies