Yotzeh Min HaClal

rufio

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:30 pm
Ok, I'm a total nerd. The above phrase is in hebrew, and it's metalinguistic - it's about language. I learned it in middle school when I was learning hebrew as the second language I ever studied, and it refers to grammatical thing or some odd rule for which I didn't know the term in English, so I called whatever it was a yotzeh min haclal no matter what language I was speaking. I tried to invent my own language shortly after, and labeled some word in it as a "yotzeh min haclal" and I can't for the life of me remember what it means. I also called the command tense "tzivui".... But if anyone here knows hebrew and would like to help me figure out what I meant, it'd be much appreciated....

Or maybe I knew it in english but thought the hebrew sounded cooler. I really can't remember.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,773 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:00 pm
Eek, I haven't been to Hebrew School since, um, Moses was taking 2 tablets. But I digress.

The only word I know in that group is "Ha", which means "The". As for "tziviu", is it perhaps a verb form of "Tzivivon", which is spinning top (e. g. a synonym for dreidel)?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 01:25 pm
I know that Yotzeh means fulfil...

The rest I will try to figure out, although my hebrew is confined to a few months' learning in a mostly-Jewish appartment.

0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 06:09 pm
I know that tzivui is the word that refers to the command tense, but there wasn't really a word in English that I thought went, so I just used tzivui. I don't know the etymology of it though. The verb form of tzivivon (which does mean dreidle) I always thought might have been ?l'tzviv or something along those lines.... but it's been a long time.
0 Replies

Flaminius

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:54 am
Tzivui, or imperative in English, shares a common root with mitzvah or commandment. It is transcribed by Semitists as s.wy, wherein s. stands for an s with a subscripted dot.

A dreidel, or sivivon, is part of the traditional Jewish cerebration of Hanuka. The name sivivon (the first i tends to be omitted in Israeli speeches) comes from the root sbb, which denotes rotation, going around, and being surrounded.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:17 pm
Are there also people here who speak Yiddish (or Ameridish, or Yinglish)? Last winter I got the book "The joys of Yiddish" from a good friend. And really, it is just so funny! Oy, what can I say?
0 Replies

ltabib

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:59 pm
The meaning of this prase is exception, irregular
The meaning of this prase is exception, irregular

Yotzeh = coming out of ...
min = from (also "sex" but not in this context)
haclal = ha-clal = the rule

like saying that some thing is out of the ordinary rule.
0 Replies

clubernj

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:41 pm
Hi, I speak hebrew. Yotzeh min haclal means better then ordinary.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:25 pm
Thanks, Clubernj! Since rufio asked I have wondered what it meant.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:28 pm
clubernj wrote:
Hi, I speak hebrew. Yotzeh min haclal means better then ordinary.

Thank you for clarifying my Jewish brethren...although born into the faith, I am not religious, and I have forgotten a LOT of Hebrew. I was curious about this phrase as well.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:46 pm
Would you all say that Hebrew is a difficult language to pick up?

0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:22 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Would you all say that Hebrew is a difficult language to pick up?

No, but mybe the script.
0 Replies

clubernj

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:49 am
No problem. If there are any other sayings, I will be glad to interpret.
0 Replies