The congress and the word "vagina"

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 09:43 pm
@oralloy,
Oh? Who's going to "punish" her?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 10:03 pm
re ci:
I remember in MA when our Supreme Judicial Court said in 2004 that same-sex marriage was constitutional under MA law, a certain subset, I think 13, of our state legislators rose in high dudgeon and wrath against the decision. A poll by the Boston Globe showed public support for the court's decision was in the high 60 percents range. In the next state elections, 12 of the 13 loudmouths were voted out. Our politicians don't talk against it any more. OK, Michigan, it's your turn. Support Brown and do away with the loudmouths and minibrains.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 11:25 pm
@amorea,
Quote:
congress and the word "vagina"

I'm a bit of a 'word vagina' myself, although when i put a polite circle in i prefer the title Countess Didactic.

Congress is an attraction, made more palatable by a knowing propinquity however to construe

Quote:
all human beings enters and comes out of it

is to deny all those that remain forever lost.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:45 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
bullshit. no implication. it's completely obvious what she was saying, and it had nothing to do with sexual advances.

Nonsense. Her implication was clear. It is silly to deny it.

MontereyJack wrote:
it had to do with legislators trying to intrude themselves into other people's business by trying to pass a probably unconstitutional law, which is precisely what the far right wing has been trying to do at every opportunity since 1973. If you had been paying attention at all for the last 40 years that would be obvious, not your and the legislators' pathetic attempt to spin it differently.

I am familiar with the issue, and with the way the fanatical left characterizes it.

I must say I find that the left lacks integrity on the matter. They pretend that they are pro-choice, but they only provide choice to the woman, denying any say whatsoever to the potential father.

The views of the right are much more equitable. They would deny the choice to have an abortion, as they believe the fetus is a living human being, but they would deny that choice to men and woman equally. While equality is not what motivates their position, they are in fact the more equitable of the two camps.

MontereyJack wrote:
The legislators are the extremists, not her.

No, she is very much an extremist.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:53 am
The right are and have always been the extremists here, and continue to be. Abortion is legal. Your view of it is just your view. Others disagree with you totally. The Supreme Court made the decision forty years ago. You may disagree. Tough ****. You cannot shove your conception of morality on others. When men start carrying fetuses, then we can talk about their voice being the deciding one.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Oh? Who's going to "punish" her?

Most likely the same people who punished her this time: the Republicans who control the leadership.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:55 am
Which is why it's important to vote them all out and restore the first amendment, particularly in legislatures like this one, where they're trying to rule by fiat and kangaroo court.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:09 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The right are and have always been the extremists here, and continue to be.

Nope. There are extremists aplenty on the left.

MontereyJack wrote:
The Supreme Court made the decision forty years ago. You may disagree. Tough ****.

Well, actually, no. People who disagree with their decision are free to try to get it overturned.

MontereyJack wrote:
You cannot shove your conception of morality on others.

Sure I can, if I were enough of an extremist to want to do so that is.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:26 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Which is why it's important to vote them all out and restore the first amendment, particularly in legislatures like this one, where they're trying to rule by fiat and kangaroo court.

Rule by fiat??? Is that part of the nonsense the far left is spinning about the governor being a secret evil overlord coming to impose his tyrannical rule on the helpless towns and cities of Michigan?

I gotta say, I don't think anyone's going to buy it (most of us are too busy arguing about bridges to Canada to even notice a second issue anyway).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:28 am
and to repeat, the extremists here are on the right, not the left. you can try to get it overturned. You haven't yet. And you are defending the extremists, which is trying to shove your morality on others. Brown stood up to extremism, which is a praiseworthy action. I don't think much of your conception of democracy.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:30 am
No. it's part of the right's favorite tactics of trying to demonize and shout down anyone who dares disagree with them.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 04:21 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
and to repeat, the extremists here are on the right, not the left.

Repeating it did not change the reality that there are still tons of extremists on the left.

MontereyJack wrote:
And you are defending the extremists,

I suppose there may be some specific situations where I might defend some specific extremists for some specific reasons. But as far as this thread goes, I've mostly been looking askance at extremists.

MontereyJack wrote:
defending the extremists, which is trying to shove your morality on others.

No, "defending extremists" is not "shoving my morality on anyone".

MontereyJack wrote:
Brown stood up to extremism,

He stood up to the extremists who opposed him. He was also an extremist himself.

MontereyJack wrote:
which is a praiseworthy action.

His actions were praiseworthy because he was opposing evil, not because his opponents were just as extreme as he was.

MontereyJack wrote:
I don't think much of your conception of democracy.

I am not surprised. My dedication to the truth conflicts with your ideology.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 04:29 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
No. it's part of the right's favorite tactics of trying to demonize and shout down anyone who dares disagree with them.

Those tactics find favor with the left at least as often as they do with the right.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 09:34 am
oralloy says:
Quote:
Those tactics find favor with the left at least as often as they do with the right.

Since 1994 with Newt Gingrich and the Contract On America, and the rise of fanatic conservatie talk radio, you guys have been the clear leaders in the field.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Oralloy wrote:

Since 1994 with Newt Gingrich and the Contract On America, and the rise of fanatic conservatie talk radio, you guys have been the clear leaders in the field.

Hardly. Blue Dogs have engaged in few of those tactics.

Rather ironic that you falsely accuse Republicans of being the leaders in demonization in the same line that you say "Contract On America".
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:02 am
@MontereyJack,
or blow bubbles.

Quote:
Here's a vivid illustration of just how badly Mitt Romney wants to avoid any discussion of his record as governor of Massachusetts: he sent his campaign aides to shout down speakers at a press conference organized by the Obama campaign to discuss Romney's governorship. Romney aides and supporters repeatedly shouted, screamed, and even blew bubbles and vuvezelas in an effort to disrupt the press conference, which was held in Boston.
Obama campaign senior strategist David Axelrod, who was the featured speaker at the event, told the Romney aides that their efforts to drown out discussion of Mitt Romney's record as governor would not succeed. "You can shout down speakers," he said. "But it's hard to Etch A Sketch the truth away."

Axelrod said that the reason Romney never talks about his gubernatorial record not he campaign trail is that under Romney's leadership, Massachusetts was 47th in the nation in job creation. "You can't handle the truth," Axelrod said, addressing the Romney campaigns efforts to shout down the press conference. "If you could handle the truth, you'd quiet down." The truth, Axelrod said, was that Romney in 2002 promised that his record at Bain would help him lead an economic boom in Massachusetts—a boom that never materialized. Romney is promising the same thing today, Axelrod said, but there's no more reason to believe Romney in 2012 than there was in 2002.

Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone mocked the the Romney campaign's efforts. "Thank you for the bubbles," Curtatone said. "It's a hell of a lot better than the smoke Mitt Romney blew at us ten years ago and that he's blowing across America!"

[/sourcel]
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:40 pm
@revelette,
That tells the whole story about Romney; he has supporters that do not want to hear the truth about their own candidate, because that will make them look stupid!

And they are.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 07:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
That tells the whole story about Romney; he has supporters that do not want to hear the truth about their own candidate, because that will make them look stupid!

And they are.

Falsely accusing people of stupidity just because they disagree with you, is silly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 07:27 am
@oralloy,
When facts are presented, and they ignore it for the sake of politics, that's stupid!

Where's the false accusation?
revelette

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 08:16 am
@oralloy,
They're not silly for disagreeing with the speaker at the news conference (whatever) but for being immature enough to blow bubbles in order to keep people from talking. Makes a reasonable person wonder what they are afraid of.
0 Replies