Forgiveness and repentance

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:29 pm
Derevon wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
Why don't you just give science a try, or Buddhism, or another branch of philosophy? Maybe your heart is the one not open. And you have to give them a real chance. Clearly you haven't given them a real chance or you would believe. - I don't really believe this, but you see it is the same argument from the other side.

Or I would believe what?

You don't really believe what?

I don't understand what you mean by giving science a try. Is science and the life and teachings of Jesus supposed to be contradictory?

No, I don't think they have to be contradictory unless you take a literal - word-for-word factual (translated) view of the bible.

Sorry, I thought you were making that argument. Usually the argument the religious make is that g-d will not reveal himself to you unless you believe - and that if you do not believe you obviously weren't doing it right :wink: .
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:06 pm
Portal Star wrote:
Derevon wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
Why don't you just give science a try, or Buddhism, or another branch of philosophy? Maybe your heart is the one not open. And you have to give them a real chance. Clearly you haven't given them a real chance or you would believe. - I don't really believe this, but you see it is the same argument from the other side.

Or I would believe what?

I don't understand what you mean by giving science a try. Is science and the life and teachings of Jesus supposed to be contradictory?

No, I don't think they have to be contradictory unless you take a literal - word-for-word factual (translated) view of the bible.

Sorry, I thought you were making that argument. Usually the argument the religious make is that g-d will not reveal himself to you unless you believe - and that if you do not believe you obviously weren't doing it right :wink: .

I agree that one has to believe for that to happen, because God has given us free will, and thus the ability to reject his guidance. One cannot force love upon somebody; that would go against its very nature. God is knocking at the door to our hearts, but we have to decide to open it. I'm convinced that anyone who is sincere, and doing his/her best to know God and live accordingly, will eventually come to experience the reality of God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:21 pm
Derevon wrote:
Portal Star wrote:
Derevon wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

Or I would believe what?

I agree that one has to believe for that to happen, because God has given us free will, and thus the ability to reject his guidance. One cannot force love upon somebody; that would go against its very nature. God is knocking at the door to our hearts, but we have to decide to open it. I'm convinced that anyone who is sincere, and doing his/her best to know God and live accordingly, will eventually come to experience the reality of God.

Unfortunately, Derevon, you can say the same thing about people who are convinced Zeus exists and determines that he/she will do his/her sincerest best to open a channel that god.

With all the respect in the world, that is why I say that MY GUESS is that all you folks who claim to know there is a GOD and who have had confirmation from that GOD -- are most likely deluding yourself.

All things considered, I cannot help but wonder why you folks don't suspect delusion also.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 09:26 pm
some people will always play the cup game.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:49 am
I have to say this is precisely why I DO trust what I feel are experiences with god. Millions of intelligent people could surely not be fooled so easily?

Besides, I've felt it all too strongly to deny it now. I wonder... but I never actually change my point of you. And given that I'm the kind of person who questions EVERYTHING, that's saying something. I've never fully accepted gravity. There's gotta be a reason I accept this.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 04:02 pm
Seeker wrote:
I have to say this is precisely why I DO trust what I feel are experiences with god. Millions of intelligent people could surely not be fooled so easily?

Besides, I've felt it all too strongly to deny it now. I wonder... but I never actually change my point of you. And given that I'm the kind of person who questions EVERYTHING, that's saying something. I've never fully accepted gravity. There's gotta be a reason I accept this.

Yeah!

Perhaps it is fear!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:35 pm
I haven't read this entire thread but, yes, anybody can be forgiven anytime they ask no matter how horrid the deed or mere thought. But, right after you clean and clear your mind and it is swept perfectly clean of all negative thought (which is where the "sin" begins), that's when 7 devils will enter and we will be tempted to do (or think or say) more horrid things.

Sure, fear can enter the picture. But, it doesn't have to. Just simply ask for forgiveness, start the process again, and again, and again. Eventually we learn what to do - and nobody can tell anyone else that because it is different for everyone.
0 Replies