Should the writer put "the" before "push"?

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 12:45 am
(1) Kerry Holds Off Push by Edwards in Primary Vote in Wisconsin

I think "push" means "a vigorous or insistent effort toward an end", but should the writer put "the" ahead of "push"?

(2) During WWII, a woman who served in Japanese army as sex toy/sex worker/prostitute was called "comfort woman"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 561 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Monger

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:10 am
1) That's typical grammar for headlines. The articles "the," "a" & "an" are frequently dropped. So it's perfectly acceptable for a headline, but yes ordinarily you would say or write "holds off the push." And you are also correct about the use of the word "push" in this case.

2) Doubtless there are people who've described them as such. What is the question, specifically?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:37 am
Oristar, the second sentence appears to be a headline as well, if it were an ordinary sentence, it ought to read:

During WWII, a woman who served in the Japanese army as a sex toy/sex worker/prostitute was called a "comfort woman."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:48 am
the 'comfort women' didn't serve in the Japanese army but were prisoners, abused by them and forced to work in brothels as prostitutes for the soldiers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:56 am
I rather think that Oristar refers to something he has read, as opposed to offering that as a statement which he supports.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:00 am
yes - I wasn't blaming him personally!! just correcting the sense of the sentence, which implies something rather different fromt he facts.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:04 am
Thanks Monger and Setanta, I've learned of a "new" rule for headline now. Very Happy

Regarding the compound noun "comfort woman", both Vivien and Setanta were correct. That was a "proper noun" used by the Japanese army, a symbol of deadly destroying Human Rights. I just wanted to know its correct expression in English language, not refered to the facts that Vivien has claimed here.
0 Replies