porsche 911

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:37 am
Just had a quick thought, here, Dys. Dunno how they did it in later years, but I had a '68 911C. The shifter was just press-fitted to the under-chassis shift rod that actuated the trans linkage. I figured that out one afternoon immediately after banging the sucker into second on hard accelleration. Fortunately, I wasn't far from home, and while inconvenient and a little embarrassing, I was able to limp back in second. I re-fit the connector cup, then drilled through it and the rod. and fitted a sturdy cotter pin. The shifter never came off in my hand again. I later found out that was a common, if "unapproved", performance tweak for the affected models. Seems everybody who raced the puppies knew about it ... many having figured it out the same way I did.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:57 pm
C.I., no, definitely not with a Porsche. You'd be driving around 200 km per hour Very Happy 150 km is considered rather slow...

I love driving in the US!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 07:41 pm
Many life time ago, when I was stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico, one of the guys in our outfit had one of those winged MBZ's, and he took me for a ride. We were go'n about 125 mph, and that's the fastest speed I've ever been in my whole life - on the ground. He's the son of a wealthy publisher-media owner from the twin cities. A real nice guy.
0 Replies

cgaborit

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 05:29 pm
Im from Australia and have a 1989 convertible (black) 3.2, last of the original wide body. Great car, nothing has gone worng with it apart from the first one I had (white) was stolen from my garage. However what I wanted to tell you is that if you find a car you like , every porsche dealer has access to the international database of Porsche's and you can call them with VIN Number, Engine Number etc and they will do a free search and tell you whether the car is original, where it came from and history of it. Helps! I found out one of the cars I was going to buy started in UK and was a Targa, someone converted it to a convertible body. Not good for resale.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:34 am
From today's Independent:

Porsche 911 Carrera: Rich man, Porsche man
0 Replies