Portal Star

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:30 pm
onyxelle wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I find it the height of amusement that in other threads which predate this one, those with religious scruples objected to agnostics and atheists showing up to put in their two cents worth in religious threads, given that this thread has attracted those of religious conviction.

I wonder why this thread is filled with thiests & christians explaining themselves also. Reverse intrusion.

Let's face it, controversy is exciting.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:19 pm
Quote:
Reverse intrusion.

Extrusion? An awful lot of that around, I think.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 09:52 pm
I once had a girlfriend who told me, in essence, "You are going to believe in God whether you like it or not." Needless to say, it was a short relationship.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
truth
Edgar, maybe you misunderstood her. Perhaps she was saying that she would have you yelling in bed: "Oh my God."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:26 pm
I wish you were right about that, jl. I could have made her my life companion were it not for that one conflict.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:19 am
This thread seems to bear out what I have long suspected. If we're not gossiping about deists and agnostics we have little in common - nothing to sustain a thread by just atheists.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 10:11 am
Stands to reason. Stamp collectors are going to tend to have something to talk about. A group of nonstamp collectors, not so. Other interests, y'know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 10:25 am
mm hmm. yep.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 10:38 am
a yup.

how do ya reckon the cubbies'll do this year?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:00 pm
How do they do every year?
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 10:47 pm
God's in heaven, thinking about where to go for vacation.

"How about mars?" an angel says. "Too hot" replies God.

"How about Venus?" the angel asks. "Too cloudy" God says.

"How about Earth?" the angel offers. "Whoa, no WAY!" God shouts. "Last time I was there I got some chick pregnant, and they're STILL talking about it!" Very Happy

...Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seriously though- Just ditto what Frank said, and that'll be my $.02 cents. If there is a God, I'd sure like him to come down and help us out. We can sure use it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:23 am
edgarblythe wrote:
This thread seems to bear out what I have long suspected. If we're not gossiping about deists and agnostics we have little in common - nothing to sustain a thread by just atheists.

Rather reminiscent of a "round the pot bellied stove" conversation on a slow day:

"Think it'll rain?"

"Nope."

"Hmmm . . . "

"Think there's an omniscient, omnipotent being who created and controls the universe?

"Nope."

"Hmmm . . . "
0 Replies

Thunder Cloud

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:11 pm
All you people who don't believe in God might be less inclined to being real "devils" like those who claim to believe in him and know nothing about him. Mad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:12 pm
amen to that!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:26 pm
Mmm. Could be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:03 pm
truth
We atheists have little to talk about, at least those among us who are atheists only because theism makes no sense. If we were satanists, as some theists suspecct, we would have a lot to talk about, pray about, and have ceremonial rituals to perform together. Or perhaps, if we were "activist" atheists, we could pray to and worship a No-God. As it stands we atheists of the "passive" sort--simply because theism makes no sense--come together for simple fellowship and the reassurance that we are not alone in our deviance. I wish we could share some beer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:09 pm
That's a grand idea, JLN. Just come and join us in San Francisco on April 9-12, and I'm willing to even share a meal or two. Look into the San Francisco forums for further info.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:29 pm
I understand you atheists cannot be distinguished from a theist in any way...so long as your horns are covered in thick hair.

Is that correct?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 03:40 pm
hmmm.....been wondering why I've worn my hair long for most of my adult life. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:31 pm
I'll spring for the beer. What is the atheist's prefered brew?
0 Replies