Should the General Education Diploma (GED) be eliminated?

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:45 pm
@roger,
I did that too! It was the only desk job I ever had and when people came into my office they looked at me like I was crazy.

I had my monitor perched up high and I would stand with my lower leg on top of my desk with the keyboard resting on my lower leg. It was quite convoluted but very comfortable.

When I have to sit in a chair with my feet on the floor my brain just goes numb.

I even do weird leg things in my sleep.
roger

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:09 pm
@boomerang,
So do I. Nermal the cat doesn't seem to mind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:36 am
There is an article in my paper today (front page, above the fold) celebrating the high school graduation of a girl who has been in foster care for several years.

The article talks about how hard it is for foster kids to actually graduate, especially because they are typically behind academically and they often age out of care before they are able to graduate. (Though kids can stay in care until they reach 21 most of the older kids can't get placed in a home because few people wants to care for teens.)

I was really surprised to learn that graduation rates of kids in foster care aren't even tracked. It is estimated that 40-50 percent of kids who are in foster care fail to graduate.

Digging around a little I came across this: www.casey.org/.../WhitePaper_ImprovingOutcomesOlderYouth_FR

Quote:

A 2006 report by the EPE Research Center indicates
that the nationwide high school completion
rate for all students is 70 percent. More students are
lost in 9th grade than in any other grade (9th: 35%;
10th: 28%; 11th: 20%; 12th: 17%). Studies have found
differing rates of high school completion (through
a degree or GED) by youth in out-of-home care,
though the measures have been defined somewhat
differently. In a Washington state study, 59 percent
of youth in foster care enrolled in 11th grade completed
high school by the end of 12th grade. The
young adults in the Northwest Alumni Study and the
Casey National Alumni Study completed high school
(via diploma or GED) at rates of 85 percent and 86
percent, respectively, by age 25, which is comparable
to the general population rate. Both studies found,
however, much higher GED completion rates compared
to the general population (5 percent): over
one in four (29 percent) in the Northwest Study, and
nearly one in five (19 percent) in the Casey National
Study

Seeing that this vulnerable population takes advantage of the GED pretty much resolves the issue for me. At least it allows them to get some sort of credential and I think that's a good thing.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 08:32 am
Interesting news about the GED....

Quote:
Mr. Heckman wanted to examine this idea more closely, so he analyzed a few large national databases of student performance. He found that in many important ways, the premise behind the GED was entirely valid. According to their scores on achievement tests, GED recipients were every bit as smart as high-school graduates. But when Mr. Heckman looked at their path through higher education, he found that GED recipients weren't anything like high-school graduates. At age 22, Mr. Heckman found, just 3% of GED recipients were either enrolled in a four-year university or had completed some kind of postsecondary degree, compared with 46% of high-school graduates. In fact, Heckman discovered that when you consider all kinds of important future outcomes—annual income, unemployment rate, divorce rate, use of illegal drugs—GED recipients look exactly like high-school dropouts, despite the fact that they have earned this supposedly valuable extra credential, and despite the fact that they are, on average, considerably more intelligent than high-school dropouts.

These results posed, for Mr. Heckman, a confounding intellectual puzzle. Like most economists, he had always believed that cognitive ability was the single most reliable determinant of how a person's life would turn out. Now he had discovered a group—GED holders—whose good test scores didn't seem to have any positive effect on their eventual outcomes. What was missing from the equation, Mr. Heckman concluded, were the psychological traits, or noncognitive skills, that had allowed the high-school graduates to make it through school.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443819404577635352783638934.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 09:03 am
@boomerang,
This is what we discussed for the first 3 or 4 pages of the thread.

Why is it interesting now?
boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 09:11 am
@ehBeth,
I suppose I should have said "still interesting and still in the news"....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 12:46 pm
on a slight tangent (perhaps) - Robert (Craven)'s talked about this a fair bit over the years.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-iq-and-eq/

Is EQ the same group of skills as the non-cognitive set of skills that are talked about in the studies about GED results?

I wonder if emotional intelligence can be taught. I suspect it can be developed, but what happens to people who are lacking in EQ to begin with?
Foofie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 06:57 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

on a slight tangent (perhaps) - Robert (Craven)'s talked about this a fair bit over the years.

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-iq-and-eq/

Is EQ the same group of skills as the non-cognitive set of skills that are talked about in the studies about GED results?

I wonder if emotional intelligence can be taught. I suspect it can be developed, but what happens to people who are lacking in EQ to begin with?

I believe emotional intelligence can be taught. Life coaches, psychologists do that sort of stuff, I thought. However, what if a culture, that one is submerged in, has little emotional intelligence, or put more simply, is self-defeating in its emotional intelligence?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 03:43 pm
Heckman again!

He seems to turn up in everything I read about education these days.

I just started reading "How Children Succeed" by Paul Tough and it has a lot about Heckman.

It's an interesting read for anyone who cares about such things.
0 Replies

vtreenine

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 11:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
If youth do not have any other option than to graduate high school then the GED should be eliminated. Adult students are able to obtain a high school diploma if they go to night school.
0 Replies