Are you going to shave your dog in oncoming summer?

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 02:48 am
Some people are planing to shave their dogs and even cats in summer. How do you think about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 7
No top replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
@space007,
What kind of people are you hanging out with?
It's is not safe to shave pets. They'll get sunburned, or you'll accidently cut them if they are not staying still. Cutting the hair and maybe leaving half an inch to an inch of hair on the skin is better. It's recommeneded to go to a professional dog groomer to do this.

Animal coats are evolved to keep them warm in winter and cool in summer, and it is like a built in temeprature control for the pet.

One of my friend has a husky who hates the summer, but she doesn't shave of the fur, but just opens up her pool. So whenever the doggy feels hot, it dives into the pool.
If you don't have a pool, just buy a snap-set pool. It's cheap and a good investment for a pet.
Ceili

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:50 pm
@space007,
Some dogs must be shaved. Their hair is like humans, it never stops growing. I just shaved my sister's dog last week and she'll need to do it again in another month. The dog is part Shih Tzu.
Huskies should never be shaved. However, they should go to the groomers twice a year to removed hair that would naturally shed. I have a great dane, he should never be shaved unless for surgical reasons.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:55 pm
@aspvenom,
I just groom my dog to get as much of her winter coat disposed of as possible as she sheds it. Pillows, I could make pillows with the accumulated hair.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:03 pm
@Ceili,
Do you shave it with a razor or trimm it by not putting any of the plastic combs on the electric hair cutting thingamajig?

I have many friends who have pets, and I've never heard any one of them shaving their pet, as in using razor and shaving cream.

I guess I learned something new today.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:14 pm
I don't know, but I see an ambiguity in the word shave.
I gues shave can also mean a extremely close trimm, as well well as no hair as in completely smooth bald look.
I guess Ceili you meant shave as in an extremely close trimm.
Ceili

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:28 pm
@aspvenom,
I didn't invent the terminology. Shaving a dog just takes the excess fur/hair off them, they still have fur it's just not as long. Not all dogs need it or should be shaved, unless they have a wound and then it's down to the bare skin.
You use a electric shaver, no shaving cream, the fur is dry, just like barbers use for brush cuts. You might leave the tail long and the face short.
aspvenom

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:41 pm
@Ceili,
The word shave in the original post threw me off at first by this ambiguity, all good now.
The best haircut I've seen is a lion cut on my friend's pomeranian in the summer of 2010. It was quite a sight. (But unfortunately, the fur after growing back has lost it's depth and luster Sad )
0 Replies