"So, in answer to your question..."

georgeob1

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I'm sure i would. I understand the disconnect between online ranting and real life.

So now Setanta accuses me of ranting !!! Pot - kettle here. I've always suspected that 'ole Set wasn't, in real life, the overbearing, thin-skinned, irascable SOB he sometimes appears to be here. Perhaps there is hope for me as well.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:44 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
. . . overbearing, thin-skinned, irascable SOB . . .

Talk about pot and kettle . . . were you looking in the mirror when you cooked up?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:12 am
@Setanta,
I was just trying to get your attention.

The fact is Setanta I have always admired and enjoyed your historical ramblings, often finding myself agreeing with and enlightened by the insights you offered. Though we see many issues differently, I think we have similar apprecistions for the context out of which they arise. Intense reactions to ideas is quality we also share ... though I think your fuse is just a bit quicker than mine.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:18 am
@georgeob1,
I'm sure you'd like to think so. I've often seen online, without the visual and auditory clues of everyday conversation, that people will accuse others of being angry. But that is just a distraction from the discussion, a way to avoid rhetorical difficulties and a sad attempt to portray one's self as the alternative voice of reason.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:30 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
they are not one and the same person.

they were however responsible for activity on more than two accounts - JTT's comment is correct
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:32 am
@CalamityJane,
I've always thought they must be quite similar in real life.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:44 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

'tis no wonder you have no one you consider a friend with an outlook such at that as you have just described.
Friendships have to be watered and cared for, you think people carry around a scorecard. (Some people do, I know, but they are nobody's friend.)

Who can you call at 3AM to explain that you are going to be released from the ER in about twenty minutes, that your keys have been lost in the taxi accident you were in about six hours ago and you need a place to lie down until the locksmith arrives at your apartment at about 10AM??

I can name four people, not in my building.

Oh, and ten times that number of people who could call me.

Joe(how about you?)Nation

Yes, I know there is a downside to being solitary; however, as they say in New England, "one makes one's bed and then has to lay in it."

I would have preferred close family, but that's another story.

Have a bless-ed day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:47 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Self-centered, entitled, Machiavellian. This might be a result of liberal egalitarian brain washing?

I'm afraid those are universal human constants to be found in just about every society, regardless of whether or not there is any of the brain washing of which you speak.

I just believe the "egalitarian brain washing" affords many a rationale that gives a patina of ethicalness to the self-centered, entitled, Machiavellian behavior!
Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

It's always seemed odd to me. Here's my rule: Never type anything to anybody that you wouldn't say face to face in a crowded bar.

If you type something to me that I know you would be too chickenshit to say to my face in a crowded bar (with the resulting face punch) I thumbdown down your post and put you on ignore.

Several people (no names) are owed punches in the face as far as I am concerned.

Hey, I'm organizing a meet-up in New York!!

Joe(no ulterior motives)Nation Laughing

You're in NYC. The law says that being verbally insulted, and responding with physical battery should result in an arrest. You might be thinking of another time in nyc, when one's jail companions were of a similar demographic.

Plus, let's be honest, many a non-Jew is hypersensitive to the interpretation of what a Jew says, so therefore, in my opinion, Jews and bars really do not mix, since under the influence of alcohol, another side of people might come out, and an anti-Semite gravitates to a Jew and might start a fight. Being a transplant you do not know how many Jewish people crossed the street, rather than walk past a bar in NYC, since someone that came out, and perhaps slightly inebriated would say to the Jew, "Who you looking at?" or some intimidating comment.

Have a nice meet-up with your friends.

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:31 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I just believe the "egalitarian brain washing" affords many a rationale that gives a patina of ethicalness to the self-centered, entitled, Machiavellian behavior!

Sort of like in Animal Farm, "Some animals are more equal than others"?
Foofie

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:35 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Sort of like in Animal Farm, "Some animals are more equal than others"?

Well, your comment above is the reality.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 01:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Really? I had no clue about that!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:08 pm
@ehBeth,
An internship at the Met? Fantastic, wish her well for me from afar.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
yes - it's fabulous - in the photography section - she's a marvellous artist in her own right and it's finally being appreciated
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
she's staying at The Webster - absolutely amazing place

http://www.websterapartments.org/about.htm

http://www.websterapartments.org/history.htm

the prices are phenomenal

http://www.websterapartments.org/rates.htm

Quote:
Women who come to New York for business purposes can stay at Webster as visitors for $85.00 a day, including a full breakfast. There is a three day minimum.

Quote:
Our endowment from the Websters makes possible rates which are remarkably low, particularly for New York City.

Currently, interns and working students pay $285.00 per week which includes maid service, two meals a day, usually a full breakfast and dinner, and the use of our practice rooms and gardens.

Women who work full time pay on a sliding scale, depending on their income, for the same facilities. Currently, the highest rate for full time working women is $315.00 per week.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Lord love a duck, that's wonderful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh! that reminds me of another famous place like that, years and years ago - I'm blanking on the name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting - in 2003, the year I had my wonderful trip to NYC while staying at the befuddled YMCA on 63rd, I did go there for business: to suss out galleries and museums, as a gallery owner, and to connect to the people at the NY gallery of an artist we had booked for a month long solo show. Sort of an excuse, not a necessity, but very work related. Wonder if they would have let me in.. thinking probably not.

Glad that place exists.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, aren't you and Beth two of the frequent bitchers and moaners about those who go off thread topic?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:
they are not one and the same person.

they were however responsible for activity on more than two accounts - JTT's comment is correct
This is a bald faced lie. I have only ever had one account on A2K, and neither Robert, nor anyone else has or could demonstrate otherwise; because its a bald faced lie. I expect to read bullshit from JTT. I would expect an apology from you.