"So, in answer to your question..."

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:20 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, it's the young'ns. I hear this all the time on NPR, often in the combination "OK, so..."

NPR HOST: What's the outlook for the economy?
YOUNG NPR REPORTER: OK, so, the economy is ....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:04 am
I was just listening to an interview on the radio. The interviewee is a native of India, and she was addressing the subject of the huge Indian blackout. She continually responded to questions with sentences beginning with "OK, so . . ." This is an intelligent, well-educated and articulate woman. She is a professor of Political Science and the head of the Department of Political Science at York University (Toronto).

It's really scary . . . they're everywhere!
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:32 am
@Setanta,
Rats.
I use "So" and "Okay, so," all the time because...erm...I think it makes me sound colloquial.
(I'm not kidding, I write a monthly letter to the shareholders of my building and there's always a couple of "Okay. So"s in there and an ...erm..or two.)

I never use it/them when I'm being serious or speaking officially. The producers of the radio news show ought to have a word with the reporters.

So, not colloquial, more like juvenile.

Joe(double rats)Nation
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 08:01 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Rats.
I use "So" and "Okay, so," all the time because...erm...I think it makes me sound colloquial.

Not a problem if you're using them in statements. But if you begin every response to a question with "OK, so," you need to stop doing that.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:22 am
@Joe Nation,
There's not much that producers can do about the remarks made by people in live interviews.
Thomas

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:56 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Not a problem if you're using them in statements. But if you begin every response to a question with "OK, so," you need to stop doing that.

OK, so stipulated.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

There's not much that producers can do about the remarks made by people in live interviews.

A well-timed bitch-slapping might not be uncalled for.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 12:48 pm
@joefromchicago,
Wow . . . great idea . . . that could really inject some life into the CBC . . .
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

A well-timed bitch-slapping might not be uncalled for.

You could use those for all sorts of things
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 09:02 am
At 2:20

David Greene: "Could they find something that would be significant?"
Neil DeGrasse Tyson: "So, there's no specific instrument designed to detect life..."
Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 09:24 am
@joefromchicago,
How long, do you think, until you use the introductory "so" in your job? "How does your client plead?" "So, we plead not guilty, your honor."
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:31 am
@Thomas,
The day after NEVER!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 09:53 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is an intelligent, well-educated and articulate woman.

So, I've heard the same mentioned about you, Set, but then you come along 'n blow that idea all to rat ****.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 09:27 am
I'm listening to an interview of a Swedish restauranteur, which is quite interesting, especially he discussion of the "new Nordic cuisine." However, the reason i am posting here is that the interviewer begins by asking him to describe his cuisine. He responds: "So, . . .

OH MY GOD ! ! ! It's spreading to non-native speakers! The horror, the horror . . . Oh the humanity ! ! !
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:29 am
These days I'm hearing it more from academics in the hard sciences. Astrophysicist and media hound Neil deGrasse Tyson does it a lot. This guy, on the Colbert Report recently, does too.

Stephen Colbert: What is the Personal Genome Project? Why do we need a personal one?
George Church: So that is the only project in the world ...
McTag

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:01 am

"To be honest...." that's worse.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:39 am
It occurs to me that no less a figure than John F. Kennedy used to begin answers to questions with "So, let me say this about that..... ."

Joe(sometimes Now, let me say... .)Nation
JTT

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:02 pm
@Joe Nation,
That 'so' has been around for a long long time, Joe. JFK couldn't have been doing Joe's 'so'. That's of much more recent vintage.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 01:19 pm
@JTT,
Pray tell, what do you see as the subtle difference between JFK's and Joe's.

Joe(Can't be the spelling)Nation
Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:31 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
These days I'm hearing it more from academics in the hard sciences.

So sorry.
0 Replies