38
   

"So, in answer to your question..."

 
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:06 am
@JTT,
As I think I mentioned, I started noticing this phenomenon only in the past year or so. I hear it frequently on NPR, where it is often a feature of the speech patterns of younger reporters and commentators.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:32 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Then please explain the "bagel."

It's a ring of bread dough, first boiled and then baked, and frequently flavored or topped with onion, garlic, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, etc.

Foofie wrote:
Oh right, it is only a New York bread. In effect, the bagel came in under the radar of the popular culture.

I have no clue what you're talking about.


My point being that if the bagel was known to have originated as a Jewish type of bread, it would not have been accepted by the standard popular culture. For example, matzoh (unleavened bread used during Passover) would never become something people ate with a schmear of butter or cream cheese, since matzoh cannot shed its Jewish image.
joefromchicago
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 10:31 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
My point being that if the bagel was known to have originated as a Jewish type of bread, it would not have been accepted by the standard popular culture.

You're delusional. Bagels have always had a clear association with Jewish culture. As for the relative unpopularity of matzo, that's because unleavened bread isn't popular, not because matzo is associated with Jews. Communion wafers never really took off as a snack item either. Hell, even Jews don't eat a lot of matzo except during Passover.
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:08 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Foofie wrote:
My point being that if the bagel was known to have originated as a Jewish type of bread, it would not have been accepted by the standard popular culture.

You're delusional. Bagels have always had a clear association with Jewish culture. As for the relative unpopularity of matzo, that's because unleavened bread isn't popular, not because matzo is associated with Jews. Communion wafers never really took off as a snack item either. Hell, even Jews don't eat a lot of matzo except during Passover.


Jews could never snack (aka, nosh) on a Communion wafer, since one of the prohibitions of the dietary laws is not to drink blood. That is why kosher meat has all the blood drip out (during broiling too), and it can be compared to shoe leather, in my opinion. And, everyone knows that to eat a Communion wafer, one should also be drinking that transubstantiated wine, which the "substance" is now the blood of Jesus. A "no, no" for Jews. That is why the Blood Libels were such canards.

However, as a Chicagoan, you might be better versed in the esoterica of Jews. But, could you say the same for someone from a small "berg" in the rest of the country? Maybe yes; maybe no.
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:54 am
Oh, it has become a Jewish thread again! Foofie, tell me, have you ever left NYC to explore the rest of the United States? Never mind setting foot into another country, we know that already, but have you really traveled around the U.S. at all? You seem so for lack of a better word "weltfremd" (unworldly translated, but doesn't have the precise meaning).
joefromchicago
 
  5  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:57 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Jews could never snack (aka, nosh) on a Communion wafer, since one of the prohibitions of the dietary laws is not to drink blood.

I never said that communion wafers weren't a popular snack item with Jews, I said there weren't a popular snack item with anyone. Please keep in mind, when reading my posts, that, unlike you, I don't view everything through the prism of Judaism.

And anyway, communion wafers don't have blood -- not even metaphorically or through the process of transubstantiation. The wafer represents the body of Christ. It's the wine that represents the blood. And Christ, as far as anyone can tell, was 100% kosher.

Foofie wrote:
And, everyone knows that to eat a Communion wafer, one should also be drinking that transubstantiated wine, which the "substance" is now the blood of Jesus.

Communion of both kinds is not standard in many branches of Christianity, including Catholicism, and transubstantiation is likewise not doctrine for most Christian churches. Indeed, given that communion wafers are inspired by the unleavened bread consumed by Jews during Passover, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be kosher communion wafers.
Yoku
 
  3  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 01:31 pm
@joefromchicago,
You reap what you...
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 02:39 pm
@Yoku,
Very Happy
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  0  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh, it has become a Jewish thread again! Foofie, tell me, have you ever left NYC to explore the rest of the United States? Never mind setting foot into another country, we know that already, but have you really traveled around the U.S. at all? You seem so for lack of a better word "weltfremd" (unworldly translated, but doesn't have the precise meaning).


I have studied white (English speaking) Gentiles in their native habitat.

By the way, the few native Germans I have met always impressed me with their intelligence. How did WWII occur, with such intelligence? My only explanation is that it was a "blip" on the radar screen of time. For that matter, how does Germany live within a continent of so many other ineffective nationalities? It must be very, very frustrating. Like having sight in the valley of the blind.
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Jews could never snack (aka, nosh) on a Communion wafer, since one of the prohibitions of the dietary laws is not to drink blood.

I never said that communion wafers weren't a popular snack item with Jews, I said there weren't a popular snack item with anyone. Please keep in mind, when reading my posts, that, unlike you, I don't view everything through the prism of Judaism.

And anyway, communion wafers don't have blood -- not even metaphorically or through the process of transubstantiation. The wafer represents the body of Christ. It's the wine that represents the blood. And Christ, as far as anyone can tell, was 100% kosher.

Foofie wrote:
And, everyone knows that to eat a Communion wafer, one should also be drinking that transubstantiated wine, which the "substance" is now the blood of Jesus.

Communion of both kinds is not standard in many branches of Christianity, including Catholicism, and transubstantiation is likewise not doctrine for most Christian churches. Indeed, given that communion wafers are inspired by the unleavened bread consumed by Jews during Passover, I don't see any reason why there couldn't be kosher communion wafers.


Shouldn't WASP's have wafers made of white bread?
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ, Foofie is not a real person. Foofie is a sock puppet account set up by Miller, in order to bring Jews into disrepute. Here's the evidence:

In her post #4995989

Miller wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
There's another issue that Obama has failed to communicate to win voters; ObamaCare does away with "socialized" health care. We have socialized health care now; anybody can go to any emergency room of any hospital and get treatment, and all the people who have insurance pay for their care. That's socialized health care. With ObamaCare, everybody must have health insurance. He lets conservatives get away with B.S. all the time, and I'm just frustrated as his inability to communicate the truth.

I've written to President Obama about many issues, but he doesn't answer any of them; just "thanks for your input."


Poor old CI! Belly-aching about poor folks getting medical care in an ER.

But old CI takes how many vacations to far away lands each and every year?
And, then CI brags to all the folks on A2K about how great his annuity payments are and how lucky he's been, while the US unemployment hovers near 8.1%.

What do you suppose old CI would do, if the annuity payments would suddenly stop coming?

If old CI is against socialized medicine, why won't he give up his Medicare option?


In response, in his post #4996115

cicerone imposter wrote:
Miller, You evidently do not understand my stance on universal health care that I've been advocating for all my life. Your thesis about me is not only wrong, but stupid!

I'm not "bellyaching." Just stating facts.

Why do you have a need to talk about my lifestyle? Are you jealous?

Yes, I have the means to travel the world. That's because we had the temerity to save during our working years. It's called planning for the future.

You're an idiot.


Then Miller fucks up big time, responding with her "Foofie" sock puppet account.

Responding for Miller . . .

Foofie wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Miller, You evidently do not understand my stance on universal health care that I've been advocating for all my life. Your thesis about me is not only wrong, but stupid!

I'm not "bellyaching." Just stating facts.

Why do you have a need to talk about my lifestyle? Are you jealous?

Yes, I have the means to travel the world. That's because we had the temerity to save during our working years. It's called planning for the future.

You're an idiot.


I am not jealous of your lifestyle; I do not like to travel; I consider it a frivolous activity. I am just jealous of your genome. It might allow for more longevity than a European genome.


Miller, who was Dr. KaK at Abuzz, a well-known Jew-hater, has created the Fooie sock-puppet account, a caricature of a Jewish racist bigot, to bring Jews into disrepute. Thomas pointed this out, and Miller used the Foofie sock puppet account in a lame attempt to cover up, but it is unconvincing. No one should be fooled any longer. Foofie is not real, Foofie is Miller's sock puppet account.
Joe Nation
 
  2  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:30 pm
Rats.

One more for ignore.

Joe(bloop)Nation
Foofie
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta is mistaken. Foofie is one person. Miller is another person. Miller, I believe, is a New Englander. Foofie is a New Yorker.

Foofie just answered the post from CI, since it appeared that CI's comments, about being jealous of his lifestyle, was directed to all posters. And, I dislike travelling, having done it in the military, so I responded to CI's exuberance about his travelling.

Anyway, I believe Miller is of Sephardic background. Foofie is Ashkenazi.

Many Gentiles do not need Foofie's posts to be alienated from Jews. Judeophobia is today as intractable in society, as anti-Semitism was in Nazi Germany, in Foofie's opinion.

Setanta, to the best of my discernment, is just one person that might one day be annointed "A2k alpha poster." A much coveted title, I believe. I though will never bow to Setanta's hegemony, since I am afraid we are from very different backgrounds.
ehBeth
 
  0  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:37 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Anyway, I believe Miller is of Sephardic background.


that's an unusual conclusion to come to
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Rats.

One more for ignore.

Joe(bloop)Nation


Don't be gullible.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
@Foofie,
Bullshit. C.I.'s response was a direct response to Miller, as anyone who clicks on the link for the post can see. Foofie responds to C.I. in the first person, another suspicious circumstance. Now, in this post Foofie is referring to herself in the third person. I think it's all going to pieces for Miller, now. How would Foofie know if Miller is of "Sephardic" background? In another thread, just minutes ago, Foofie was asking about Miller as though Foofie didn't know who Miller is.

It's all going to pieces on you, Miller.
0 Replies
 
Joe Nation
 
  2  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 02:58 pm
I want a sockpuppet.
I WANT one I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!!

I haven't a clue how to get one.

Joe(don't tell me)Nation
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Look how hard it is to keep up the pretense, though, Joe. I had a sock puppet at Abuzz, but everyone knew it. We had fun with it. It wore me out, though, to keep logging out, logging in on the other account and trying to keep track--and i wasn't trying to fool anyone.
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
wow, thanks for pointing this out, Setanta. I would have never guessed that
Foofie and Miller are one person, especially since Miller isn't around that much any longer. Remarkable!
roger
 
  2  
Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 03:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
I also recall a Lady Plushbottom from Abuzz, but she was more alter ego than sock puppet.
 

Related Topics

There is a word for that! - Discussion by wandeljw
Best Euphemism for death and dying.... - Discussion by tsarstepan
Let pupils abandon spelling rules, says academic - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Question by lululucy
phrase/name of male seducer - Question by Zah03
Shameful sexist languge must be banned! - Question by neologist
Three Word Phrase I REALLY Hate to See - Discussion by hawkeye10
Is History an art or a science? - Question by Olivier5
"Rooms" in a cave - Question by shua
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/20/2019 at 08:21:06