Errant Message Nearly Destroys Marriage

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:30 am
Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (Reuters) - An intimate Valentine's Day (news - web sites) text message nearly caused a Malaysian couple to split when it landed on the wrong mobile phone number, a newspaper reported on Sunday.

A 27-year-old man and his wife of two months were taking a romantic drive around a park in Seremban, south off Kuala Lumpur, when his phone beeped just after midnight, The Sunday Star said.

He asked her to retrieve the message, which read: "Darling, I really miss you, always thinking of you even when you are not here tonight beside me in the bed, I am waiting, lots and kisses and hugs - Jane."

The wife demanded her husband stop the car, accused him of infidelity and left for her parents' home in a taxi. She refused to take his calls and his father-in-law later told him she would be filing for a divorce.

It took 12 frantic hours before the sender of the message was traced. She called the wife with an explanation, and the couple made up with a hug in front of their families.

At first glance, this appears to be simply an amusing little story. Thinking about it though, I realized that many couples have marriage difficulties, based on nothing more substantial than what happened to the folks in Kuala Lampur.

Has there ever been a problem in your marriage because of circumstantial evidence? What happened? How did you deal with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,127 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Relative

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 09:54 am
I believe any problems will surface given such 'evidence' - and that is only for the better. Because if they don't surface, they turn into fear, frustration and one day a person just explodes or walks away for no apparent reason.
If one learns from some 'jeaLOUSY' experience early on, one has a much better chance of developing at least some love, i believe.
For true love knows no jeaLOUSY, only desire and fear and shallow illusions do know it. I feel any relationship not based on deep grounds should either grow or shatter, not just linger.

I agree that in the 'I am so proud and lucky I caught you' phase one is very vulnerable to such 'evidence' since the achievement - the caught treasure - is at stake. In some cultures people actually get married before they develop any deeper emotions for eachother and I hear stories '(s)he left me on the wedding night' and such ... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies