"rode upon a cherub"?

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 06:14 pm

My dictionary gives me:
Cherub:
1. a sweet innocent baby
2. an angel of the second order whose gift is knowledge; usually portrayed as a winged child

So the Almighty Lord was riding on a winged child?

Context:

8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
12 At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 17
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:22 pm
A cherub:
http://www.animationplayhouse.com/cherub_angel.gif
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:31 pm
The cherubim (plural) of the bible were angels with the bodies of a lion, wings of an eagle, and human head.

In the book of Ezekial (in the bible), they were described, if I remember, as having 4 faces.
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:38 pm
Here we go....

Cherubim feature at some length in the Book of Ezekiel. When they first appear in chapter one, when Ezekiel was "by the river Chebar", they are not called cherubims, but he saw "the likeness of four living creatures". (Ezekiel 1:5) Each of them had four faces and four wings, with straight feet with a sole like the sole of a calf's foot, and "hands of a man" under their wings. Each had four faces: The face of a man, the face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on the left side, and the face of an eagle. (Ezekiel 1:6-10)

In Ezekiel chapter ten, another full description of the Cherubims appears with slight differences in details. Three of the four faces are the same; man, lion and eagle; but where chapter one had the face of an ox, Ezekiel 10:14 says "face of a cherub". Ezekiel equates the Cherubims of chapter ten with the living creature of chapter one by saying: "This is the living creature that I saw by the river of Chebar", in Ezekiel 10:15, and in Ezekiel 10:20 he said: "This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubims."

I looked it up, and what are nowadays considered cherubs (the cute ones) are actually putti (singular putto), which were used in art.
oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:39 pm
@oristarA,
The Lord:
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/30661.gif
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:42 pm
The Lord hanging out above a cherub and a Wheel.

http://www.crystalinks.com/ezekielmerkaba.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 07:50 pm
OOOOOHHH!

This is a GOOD one!

God holding a bunny that has a pancake on its head...

http://www.faithmouse.com/hand_of_God_baby_bunny_pancake.jpg
oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:01 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Here we go....

Cherubim feature at some length in the Book of Ezekiel. When they first appear in chapter one, when Ezekiel was "by the river Chebar", they are not called cherubims, but he saw "the likeness of four living creatures". (Ezekiel 1:5) Each of them had four faces and four wings, with straight feet with a sole like the sole of a calf's foot, and "hands of a man" under their wings. Each had four faces: The face of a man, the face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on the left side, and the face of an eagle. (Ezekiel 1:6-10)

In Ezekiel chapter ten, another full description of the Cherubims appears with slight differences in details. Three of the four faces are the same; man, lion and eagle; but where chapter one had the face of an ox, Ezekiel 10:14 says "face of a cherub". Ezekiel equates the Cherubims of chapter ten with the living creature of chapter one by saying: "This is the living creature that I saw by the river of Chebar", in Ezekiel 10:15, and in Ezekiel 10:20 he said: "This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubims."

I looked it up, and what are nowadays considered cherubs (the cute ones) are actually putti (singular putto), which were used in art.

Excellent!

I retrieved them from two versions of Bible.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 08:02 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

OOOOOHHH!

This is a GOOD one!

God holding a bunny that has a pancake on its head...

http://www.faithmouse.com/hand_of_God_baby_bunny_pancake.jpg

I failed to understand the pancake humor. Could you explain a bit?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:06 am
I think it's an internet meme (like "lolcats"). People post this message "I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.". The original picture is below.

Quote:
Oolong (ウーロン Ūron?) (July 28, 1994 – January 7, 2003) was a domestic rabbit owned by Hironori Akutagawa, who posted images of the rabbit with objects balanced on its head. Oolong became an Internet phenomenon.

Akutagawa's site featured "photo journeys" of Oolong traveling with his master through the house, yard, and other locations. The website became known to a wider audience when it was covered in 2001 by Syberpunk, a site which focuses on odd things in Japanese culture.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/007/445/pancake_bunny.jpg?1249339142
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:15 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
The cherubim (plural) of the bible were angels with the bodies of a lion,
wings of an eagle, and human head.

In the book of Ezekial (in the bible), they were described,
if I remember, as having 4 faces.
Erich von Däniken deemed that to have been an extra-terrestrial spacecraft.

David
contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:41 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I think it's an internet meme (like "lolcats"). People post this message "I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head."

To clarify, here the implication may be that the poster considers the idea of "cherubim" to be nonsense.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Erich von Däniken deemed that to have been an extra-terrestrial spacecraft.

He was imprisoned for forgery, fraud, and embezzlement of funds which he used to fund his "playboy lifestyle". he was said by the Austrian police to be especially skilled at written types of fraud. It seemed to me that he put that skill to use in rooking the gullible purchasers of his books. I knew somebody who was so disappointed to hear that von Däniken was a crook that he threw away all of his books. They were soon replaced by the works of T. Lobsang Rampa.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 07:28 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I think it's an internet meme (like "lolcats"). People post this message "I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.".

Wow, I didn't know that contrex.

When I say O's picture of the Lord (which looks like the god Zeus to me) I googled images for "God" and the bunny/pancake is God's hand was one that came up. I just thougt it was funny.

http://www.faithmouse.com/2011-year-in-pancakes.jpg
oristarA

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

contrex wrote:

I think it's an internet meme (like "lolcats"). People post this message "I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.".

Wow, I didn't know that contrex.

When I say O's picture of the Lord (which looks like the god Zeus to me) I googled images for "God" and the bunny/pancake is God's hand was one that came up. I just thougt it was funny.

http://www.faithmouse.com/2011-year-in-pancakes.jpg

Did the picture mean "Guys, I don't understand you - you have had a pancake on your heads"?

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:55 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Did the picture mean "Guys, I don't understand you - you have had a pancake on your heads"?

I don't think so. I think it means "This is a nonsensical discussion, so here is a nonsensical picture"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:58 pm
@oristarA,
The meaning is chaotic.
0 Replies

ostone

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 05:59 am
@oristarA,
Cherubim.....c her rub im
0 Replies