Horror Story: Ways for a trapped character to die via lack of intervention? (Revised Question)

MrIVI

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:06 pm
Okay, so I had recently asked for some horror story suggestions on how a trapped / otherwise-healthy character could die via lack of regular medical intervention.
Examples I had/have in mind are: Asthma and Diabetes. If the trapped character ran out of oxygen (inhaler) or insulin (via injection), then I could have the character die for lack of access to the medical items that regularly support his life. Asthma probably is going to be the winner, the only reason I'm reluctant on it is it's stigma of being for week geeky people. I like diabetes, but it seems to put people into a coma not kill them.
Anyway, I realized I was able to widen the field. It could be something which simply requires another person's attention. Note, choking is a terrible anti-climatic contrived example I made up just off the top of my head. But as an example of what I'm saying: if someone were choking they could die for lack of someone to give them the Heimlich.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,678 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:12 pm
@MrIVI,
You can give yourself the heimlich, if you have a table or chair, or in most cases things can be dislodged from your throat by simply raising your arms above your head.
MrIVI

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:56 pm
@Ceili,
Yeah, Choking/Heimlich is a crap idea.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 07:34 am
@MrIVI,
There was a case in the news here not long ago about a young man dieing from a blocked urinary tract that was left untreated.

Quote:
Neil Beagley died last June in Oregon. He had a urinary tract blockage that could have been corrected by a fairly simple catheterization. It wasn’t corrected though, because Neil’s parents had taught him that God, not man, should cure disease if it is to be cured at all. So Neil died of heart failure as urea poisoned his organs. He was sixteen years old. (In October his parents turned themselves in to face charges of criminally negligent homicide. Their trial is scheduled for June 23.)

http://thehumanist.org/march-april-2009/who-killed-neil-beagley/

According to what I've read it is supposed to be a very painful way to die.

You could probably find other examples from churches that don't believe in medical intervention.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:10 am
Stroke
Heart attack
Plague
Lightning strike
Brain worm
Turning thirty (only works for characters trapped in Logan's Run)
Bat-swine flu
That "not-so-fresh" feeling, only a lot worse
Bite of a radioactive spider (may also cause superhero-ism)
Wrath of an angry god
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:28 am
@joefromchicago,
Oh! Oh! Rabies! Rabies would be a great way for a horror story person to die.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:40 am
@MrIVI,
How about that flesh eating virus or bacteria whatever the heck it is. It would definately be feasible seeing if they are trapped and get a cut, this virus could enter their body - it also would be very visual to depict and people seem to be really concerned about it.
0 Replies