I am shopping at J.C. Penney

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:10 pm
J.C. Penney recently faced the write of the Fundamentalist Christian group "Million Moms" who had a temper tantrum because they hired Ellen as their spokesperson.

They ignored the Christian hysterics, which was enough to earn my respect.

But now they have this ad.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Business/ht_jc_penney_ad_jp_120601_wblog.jpg

Quote:
(from the upper right corner) What makes Dad so cool? He's the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver--all rolled into one. Or two.

Take that hateful Christians.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,591 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:26 pm
Me too.

I think I will go ON Father's Day.

Joe(bite it, haters)Nation
jespah

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@maxdancona,
I need a black skirt. They've got cute ones. Smile
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:00 pm
That's great and all, but doesn't jcpenny... um... suck?
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 04:41 pm
@maxdancona,
I've read Target is doing the same thing. There was a time when the Gay community boycotted Target.

Does anyone know if they sell Calvin Klein underwear at JC Penney? I’ll be doing some shopping there from now on.
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:43 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
They sell Fruit of the Loom. (Not that theres anything wrong with that)
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:23 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
JeffreyEqualityNewma wrote:

Does anyone know if they sell Calvin Klein underwear at JC Penney? I’ll be doing some shopping there from now on.

Not sure. But I'm guessing it's more of a Calvin Coolidge fare.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 06:48 pm
I am shopping at J.C. Penney

braggart Razz
thack45

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 07:07 pm
@djjd62,
Dr. Bruner: Hello, Raymond. Wouldn't you feel more relaxed in your favorite K-Mart clothes?
Charlie: Tell him, Ray.
Raymond: Kmart sucks.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 07:13 pm
@thack45,
Eh, we shopped at jc penny's in the fifties when I was a kid, a flagship store, heh, for what is now the Santa Monica 3rd street promenade. Haven't been to a Penny's lately, but I doubt they are worse than a lot of ordinary places. But I don't know. In the past they sold sturdy stuff.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:47 pm
Penney's is the new Sears.......stunningly mismanaged by people who dont understand the business they are in, and thus are hemorrhaging money. This ad is more of the idiocy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 01:22 pm
Shop 'Gay C. Penney'

by Al Lewis

Quote:

If you support the gay community, please shop J.C. Penney.

Ron Johnson, the department-store chain's new chief executive, is portraying alternative lifestyles as a wholesome part of American consumer culture. He has hired Ellen DeGeneres as a spokeswoman and printed catalogs with smiling gay parents and their adorable children.

Diversity, inclusion, acceptance for all—these are laudable values. The problem is, well, I have never actually met an openly gay person who openly shops at J.C. Penney.

Nevertheless, Mr. Johnson is inspiring boycotts from some of the straight people who are more likely to shop in his stores.

One Million Moms, an offshoot of the conservative American Family Association, is particularly upset about a Father's Day promotion featuring two gay dads. The ad read: "First Pals: What makes Dad so cool? He's the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver—all rolled into one. Or two."

Seems like lame ad copy to me. Yet this is the kind of material One Million Moms routinely denounces as "trash in the media!"

It's fair to say One Million Moms hardly represents a million moms, and if it did, many of their children would be gay, according to the law of large numbers. But it's also fair to say this organization, though often branded as antigay, is expressing a sentiment common among the middlebrow demographic that J.C. Penney serves.

Mr. Johnson is alienating Penney's traditional customers in a bid to attract new customers from higher socio-economic segments that now shop Macy's, Nordstrom and Target.

Marketing to gays is but one example of the many ways Mr. Johnson is doing this. Earlier this year, he started putting an end to coupons and the word "sale" in a bid to change Penney's pricing structure.

The result? Larger-than-expected losses, plunging revenues, dwindling customer traffic and a plunging stock price.

It's more proof that the more you pay a CEO, the more overconfident he becomes. Mr. Johnson, a lauded former Apple executive, didn't begin as Penney's so-called turnaround artist until November. That didn't stop the company from paying him $52.6 million for 2011, most of it in stock awards. Compare that to America's median household income of less than $53,000 a year. Any wonder he doesn't see the need for coupons or sales?

This is starting to look like the turnaround at Sears-Kmart, and it could end up looking like the turnaround at Montgomery Ward. In a webcast conference last week, Mr. Johnson conceded he did a poor job communicating his pricing strategy. He even started to resurrect the term he'd tried to banish, "sale." But he can't change course.

See, before Mr. Johnson came along, Penney's was in a race to the bottom. Nobody would buy anything unless it was 60% off. And now Penney's faces a stalling economic recovery that threatens to crush even more of its middle-class consumers.

Mr. Johnson promises a "year of transformation," after which we'll compare Penney's to Apple, Starbucks, Whole Foods and other companies where value isn't determined by price but by perceived coolness. This is a tall order. J.C. Penney, incorporated in 1913, occupies a class of stodgy retailers that tend to run themselves out of business every hundred years or so.

Mr. Johnson pleaded for patience: "We believe there will be one year of sales going down that sets the stage for a year of takeoff."

So welcome to Penney's "one year of sales going down." Please go shop there before there's two.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303753904577452772503908542.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 02:07 am
Quote:
The company that was known for massive markdowns on top of markdowns backed away from its price-slashing ways when Ron Johnson took the helm. Its newly minted "fair and square" pricing strategy was expected to usher in a new retail era, but things haven't played out that way so far. The company realized abysmal same-store sales recently and has fallen off a cliff on ever-worsening reports. Now the company appears to be going back on its original plan and will be implementing more Friday sales days across the calendar year. For all the big backing and enthusiasm surrounding J.C. Penney's turnaround, this backtracking isn't encouraging

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/06/16/1-huge-turnaround-thats-losing-steam.aspx

These boys are lost, and without either a map or a clue.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 08:34 pm
Penny's president OUT after only 8 months on the job.

Figures.....
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

A pillar of Mr Johnson’s turnround plan is a new pricing strategy that does away with unpredictable discounts and has echoes of the simple product pricing at Apple, where he built its retail business.
But this month he admitted: “We haven’t communicated our pricing change in a way that customers understand yet, and I think it’s just been kind of confusing.”
Mr Johnson will assume direct responsibility for the marketing and merchandising operations that Mr Francis oversaw, which included an expensive blitz of colourful television advertisements that left some consumers nonplussed.
In the quarter when JC Penney launched its new pricing and marketing plans – the three months to the end of April – its like-for-like sales tumbled 18.9 per cent, the sharpest decline at a big retailer that many sector experts could remember.
Mr Loeb said JC Penney’s new management had misunderstood its customers. “It’s a value-conscious customer who responds to sales not to pretty pictures,” he said

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f159bd80-b989-11e1-a470-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1yCzzvBKc

Although a cozy image of two gay guys raising kids is not a "pretty picture" to many. According to the most recent pew research 35% of us think that gays raising kids is bad for society.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1994/poll-support-for-acceptance-of-homosexuality-gay-parenting-marriage

And in the past I have seen numbers where when the question is asked "should gay men couples raise kids" the majority says "no", though the number is much better for gay women couples.

So the guy who green lighted the pro gay ads is gone, likely kicked out on his ass for failure to produce......that figures.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:41 am
Quote:
In separate comments yesterday, Johnson blamed plunging sales and dwindling customer traffic on marketing that “has not resonated with our core customer” — and said he would therefore take over marketing himself.
“The marketing I largely left to [Francis],” Johnson told trade paper Women’s Wear Daily. “The fact that it hasn’t resonated [meant] I had to get involved.”
While critics say Francis’ sharp, colorful Target-like ads failed to convey a low-price message, sources said another rumored point of friction between the two execs was a Father’s Day ad that depicted a child with gay fathers.
“That may not have resonated with the core customer,” according to one source.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/penney_doing_damage_control_Y6K5wwYQ8IThlqlgOK4gJO#ixzz1yJTdwDpK

Ya think!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:15 pm
Quote:
Truth be told, I love a good turnaround story. I love seeing a company that everyone has left for dead turn in positive results that surprise even the “smartest investors.” However, there is such a thing as too little too late. I honestly believe that is the situation with J.C. Penney Co. (NYSE: JCP).

When the initial hoopla from the hiring of CEO Ron Johnson came out, I was immediately skeptical of the pop in the shares. The issue was not his management capabilities, but the public's perception of the company. I would wager if you ask most people in America about J.C. Penney, their first reaction is not likely a positive one. This company has massive problems that no CEO is going to be able to solve in a short time frame, if at all.

The issues that J.C. Penney is facing are too numerous to cover in this format. However, we'll look at a few issues and see where the company places among their competition. J.C. Penney has been a cornerstone of many enclosed malls for years. Some people might even have fond memories of flipping through the old Christmas catalog and earmarking pages of things that they wanted. However, that is not the day we live in today. The catalog has long been replaced by the Internet, and there are many customers who don't even think of J.C. Penney as a shopping destination. This is the primary issue that the company faces -- their competition represents destination shopping experiences, whereas J.C. Penney doesn't register in most customers thoughts. Let me give you a few examples of other retailers that have positioned themselves better.

The first example is Kohl's (NYSE: KSS), which primarily operates as a destination for mid-priced fashion merchandise. The company has done a good job of mixing reasonable pricing, excellent sales, and their Kohl's cash as a way to drive continued business. Though not a traditional fashion retailer, Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT) is also a direct competitor for J.C. Penney's customer. Customers that used to go into J.C. Penney to purchase clothing now can buy their groceries, household items, and clothing all the same time from Target. Given the fact that the company has increased awareness of their value-priced clothing brands, many shoppers regularly check the store for their wardrobe needs. Operating at the higher end of the spectrum is Macy's (NYSE: M). Where this competitor stands out is offering a greater selection of high-quality items, so shoppers are willing to spend a little more for better merchandise.

You can see that between these three competitors, Target takes the low-end, Kohl's takes the mid-priced customer, and Macy's takes the high-end customer. While this doesn't represent all of J.C. Penney's competition, you can see there isn't a category of consumer that the company can attract that isn't already being catered to by another strong retailer. It is no longer a question of getting new customers for J.C. Penney, it is a question of stealing loyal shoppers from retailers that they are already happy with. As proof that the challenge J.C. Penney is facing will not be simple to overcome, one only needs to look at the company's most recent earnings report.

This is one of the few earnings reports that I've seen where there really was not one number I could find that painted a positive picture of the company. With total sales down 20.1% and a loss of $.25 per share, this was just the beginning of the painful numbers for investors. The two most discouraging numbers have to be comparable store sales and Internet sales. With comparable sales down 18.9% and Internet sales down 27.9%, the company is selling less to customers in the store and online. Even with struggling retailers, usually one of these two measures comes out positive. In addition, the company had to cut its gross margin to get these results, with gross margin coming in almost 3% below last year's number.

The company's financials paint just as bleak of a picture. J.C. Penney spent nearly 50% of their cash and cash equivalents covering their negative cash flow for the quarter. Operating cash flow started at negative $577 million and the company spent another $107 million on capital expenditures. The combination of these two numbers caused cash and cash equivalents to drop to $839 million. With long-term debt staying flat at $2.871 billion, this retailer has a much weaker balance sheet than just three months ago. The company discontinued its dividend, which is expected to save about $175 million. However, according to the report, additional inventory markdowns and restructuring charges may be necessary. Amazingly, the company made the comment that they are, “confident in our vision to become America's favorite store.” While it's good to hear management express confidence in the company's future, this statement rings very hollow to me.

The bottom line is J.C. Penney does not have a competitive advantage over any of their competition. That alone is the reason to stay away from the stock. In fact, any of the previously mentioned competitors seem like a better option. Kohl's pays a 2.6% yield, is selling for less than its expected growth rate, and has beaten earnings in three of the last four quarters.

Macy's would seem to be a good option as well. This company pays a 2.2% yield, sells for less than its expected growth rate, and has been beating earnings estimates on a regular basis.

Where Target is concerned, while there's been a lot of commentary on the challenges that the retailer faces from Amazon.com, many of these issues are overblown. The company offers value-priced fashion that is not practical to buy online, is expanding their grocery and household items selection, and is a one-stop shop for many Americans. With a 2.3% yield and expected earnings growth of just over 11%, the company is yet another retail stock that looks better than J.C. Penney.

While it's admirable that J.C. Penney management believes in the concept, it's too little too late

http://beta.fool.com/mhenage/2012/07/27/too-little-too-late/8072/?ticker=KSS&source=eogyholnk0000001

Penny's is the new sears/k-mart, Monkey Wards and Woolworths....they are a dead corporation walking. Their pro gay ads are a futile extremely desperate attempt to avoid their fate .
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:25 pm
If such is the case, why do you give a ****?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

If such is the case, why do you give a ****?

Because the liberals of this board need to understand that the JC Penny pro gay ads are not the inevitable triumph of their worldview but are rather the futile desperate act of a corporation which is in a death spiral.

To put it another way, I am interested in the truth where ever it may be found, and the vanquishing of ignorance.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
At the time, Johnson stressed that Penney's needed to wean shoppers off their addiction to sales and coupons.

He then spoke aloud retail's dirty little open secret: A number of those big sales are not really sales at all, he said, because many stores have been putting increasingly inflated "full" retail prices on their goods in recent years.

So Johnson's radical makeover of the chain not only pulled the plug on Penney's sales, but also dropped the word "sale" from its stores and marketing messages, as well as "clearance," ditching language that has been shorthand for American shoppers for nearly as long as there have been stores.

But Johnson's push to sell shoppers on its idea that the chain is a destination for everyday deals with a new lexicon, such as "month long value" and "best price," which were intended to communicate bargains, has so far flopped.

And Penney's has been backpedaling ever since

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/07/27/jcpenneys-makeover-doover-what-latest-backpedal-means/

He violated the first rule of PR, which is either get in front of unpleasant truth or deny deny deny. JC Penny admitted that they had been conning their customers for years, this was never going to end well. Customers dont give a **** that a new man is running the company, the takeaway here was that the company can not be trusted not that the new man can be trusted. As I have said before new management does not have the first ******* clue what they are doing.

This company is roadkill.
0 Replies