Definite Article with Plural Nouns

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:54 am
I have seen that many people don't use definite article just because a noun is plural. I belive, in the following examples, there should be a definite article after the first word:
-List steps to create a document in MS Word
-Identify techniques to control anger

If this is correct, can you please tell me the rule? Is it because the words "steps" and "techniques" are qualified further by the "to" after it? Can there be any other qualifires like "to" (may be "that")? I could not find this information in any of the English ussge sites.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 12:52 pm
@canyouflyican,
Quote:
-List steps to create a document in MS Word
Don’t know the technical terms but “the steps” would imply there are a specific number of them and maybe that they’re well known

Quote:
-Identify techniques to control anger
that control anger” might imply we’re discussing a number of techniques to control various states but you want me to pick out only them that also control anger

It’s all very subtle
roger

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Too subtle for me. Like the OP, I use the definate article in both cases.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:14 pm
Well, i can't fly and i don't believe this joker can either . . .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:51 pm
@canyouflyican,
canyouflyican wrote:
can you please tell me the rule?

The only "rule" I can think of is that the use of a definite article before a plural noun indicates that there are a known and finite number of items. Omission of the article implies that there are not. Sometimes use of the article would be ridiculous.

Name kings or queens of England - name some kings or queens of England. There is no unique correct answer, and an answer would be incorrect if a person who was never a king or queen of England was included.

Name the kings or queens of England - name all of the kings or queens of England that there have ever been. There is only one correct answer. An answer would be incorrect if a person who was never a king or queen of England was included, and also if it was incomplete (not every single monarch was named).
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:51 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I use the definite article in both cases.
Roger I disagree. For instance,

-Identify techniques to control anger: There are a large number of such techniques but I need you to ID only a few of them, maybe the ones you feel most important

-Identify the techniques to control anger: Probably there are only a few such and I want you to list all of them

Edited to remark oops I see Trex above has expressed it in words better
0 Replies