Anyone experienced with bipolar disorder?

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 08:41 pm
My wife and I have recently had challenges we cannot seem to overcome on our own. We have seen a professional, who believes my wife has symptoms.
I am only familiar with the disorder via superficial reading and news stories.
Any personal or professional insight you might share is deeply appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,255 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 09:49 pm
@nqyringmind,
First things first; have her diagnosed by a professional psychiatrist. Most counties have support groups for family members of bipolar patients. Seek them out.
nqyringmind

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks.
That appointment has been set.
I'm concerned about medications, side effects, impact on relationship(s)...etc
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:26 am
@nqyringmind,
Take this all in one step at a time. Bi-polar disorder is something that a person faces for an entire lifetime. One of the big problems with the disorder is that a person will take medication, will feel well, go off the medication, and subsequently develop symptoms again. In many families, this cycle repeats over and over again.

Here is reading from a credible source that can get you started:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001924/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 11:30 am
@nqyringmind,
That's the reason you need to have her see a doctor - who can diagnose the problem, and recommend the right kind of meds. The meds may be changed frequently depending on the reaction of the patient, but the patient must continue to take the meds even when they think they're cured, because they are not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 12:35 pm
@nqyringmind,
nqyringmind wrote:

I'm concerned about medications, side effects, impact on relationship(s)...etc

You are right to be concerned. I have a friend who was so diagnosed. By voluntary committment, he was treated with lithium for several weeks. When stabilized, he was released with a supply of the drugs and instructions. Whether they got the dosage wrong, made the wrong diagnosis, or he simply took too much, or too little, he went into a fit of depression like most of us will never know. In fact, he ended up being involuntarily committed after standing off a sheriff's posse at his ranch.

As a matter of fact, I have never been completely convinced of the diagnosis. Certainly, he was considered something of an oddball, but I don't think he was really outside the normal range of behavior.

Not relevant to the question, but the guy was referred from one doctor to another, and the other turned out to be a psychiatrist, a fact he was not aware of at the time. I have been very cynical about that, and related professions ever since.
0 Replies