Obama Campaign Now Offering Cat Collars Reading "I Meow for Michelle"

Miller

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 11:45 am

Quote:
The president who started off with such dazzle now seems incapable of stimulating either the economy or the voters. His campaign is offering Obama 2012 car magnets for a donation of $10; cat collars reading “I Meow for Michelle” for $12; an Obama grill spatula for $40, and discounted hoodies and T-shirts. How the mighty have fallen

Maureen Dowd

NYTimes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,754 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:06 pm
@Miller,
Weird. Reminds me of a long ago cartoon that was set in a new car dealer's show room. Big sign on the wall said "Free Tarbot with every new car purchase", and the salesman is saying "Yessir, that's right! Free tarbot; best eating fish you ever sunk a tooth into". Just no logical connection between new cars and a fish giveaway.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:46 pm
@Miller,
Well, he is trying to avoid impropriety of accepting large donations, this way he can nickel and dime his way to a stuffed campaign chest.

Maybe he should have the Michelle Obama Food Plate. A really nice plate with 4 sections and a dairy circle on the side, he can list his 4 major accomp...oh wait, he doesn't have 4. Maybe if he had actually done something on immigration as he had promised; but, then he couldn't use that as a carrot to get people to vote for him again.

From the same editorial item given by Miller, I located this line by Ed Rendell
Quote:

In his new book, “A Nation of Wusses,” the Democrat Ed Rendell, the former governor of Pennsylvania, wonders how “the best communicator in campaign history” lost his touch

The item then comments:
Quote:
The legendary speaker who drew campaign crowds in the tens of thousands and inspired a dispirited nation ended up nonchalantly delegating to a pork-happy Congress, disdaining the bully pulpit, neglecting to do any L.B.J.-style grunt work with Congress and the American public, and ceding control of his narrative.

As president, Obama has never felt the need to explain or sell his signature pieces of legislation — the stimulus and health care bills — or stanch the flow of false information from the other side.

“The administration lost the communications war with disastrous consequences that played out on Election Day 2010,” Rendell writes, and Obama never got credit for the two pieces of legislation where he reached for greatness.

The president had lofty dreams of playing the great convener and conciliator. But at a fund-raiser in Minneapolis, he admitted he’s just another combatant in a capital full of Hatfields and McCoys. No compromises, just nihilism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/dowd-dreaming-of-a-superhero.html?_r=1&ref=maureendowd

I can't say as I am surprised by any of the lack of actual doings by Obama. Even in the summer of 2008 when I was in phase 1, I voiced my concerns, and by November when phase 2 took place, I was even more opposed to him. Unfortunately, the Republicans failed to present a suitable candidate that year. I am of the firm belief that if they had, they would have won.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:50 pm
Quote:
Maybe he should have the Michelle Obama Food Plate

Why not! Every time I turn on TV, Michelle is either pulling weeds from her garden, or doing some aerobic dance combination. She needs to get a REAL JOB.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:55 pm
@Miller,
Recenty she was trying to promote literacy and dragged the daughters along. The younger one was clearly not happy to be there.
It's one thing to have children do certain things they do not like; but, to have it done on film as what was clearly promotional help for her husband, made me ill.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

@Miller,
Nothing new about that. We had those same items in the Obama campaign store on their website during the 2008 campaign. Maureen Down is making up tales.
Butrflynet

@Miller,
Nothing new about that. We had those same items in the Obama campaign store on their website during the 2008 campaign. Maureen Down is making up tales.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
You are contradicting yourself.
On one hand you say that these items were on sale in 2008 and then you claim Dowd is making things up.

At no point up to the mention of the sale items does Maureen Dowd claim this to be a brand new idea. She states simply: "The president who started off with such dazzle now seems incapable of stimulating either the economy or the voters. His campaign is offering Obama 2012 car magnets for a donation of $10; cat collars reading “I Meow for Michelle” for $12; an Obama grill spatula for $40, and discounted hoodies and T-shirts. How the mighty have fallen."

That indicates that for many Obama began with a dazzling appearance. Kind of like a new Matchbox car on the 4th night of Chanukah. He can't even stimulate the economy now. She states in truthful fashion: "How the mighty have fallen."

0 Replies