Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
agreed...good reply to Cyr !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
...get back to it I was adding stuff as usual...knock yourself out !
Quote:
Yea I do that too

Good !

Quote:
1 - I think you are the one needing to explain how is it that Nothingness can exist......
Quote:
I didn’t assert that it can exist. Certainly it’s doubtful it can be “found” anywhere in the Universe. I only maintain that it’s perfectly rational and easily more acceptable to suppose a state of nothingness; no matter, no space, nothing

You can't maintain any claim towards something you can't describe what it is...

Quote:
2 - Justifying claim X through X is a tautology not an explanation !
Quote:
Wasn’t aware I did that. You might provide an example

You often reply nothing is nothing...

Quote:
3 - Equally you would have to explain how is it that you assert that nothingness requires no justification if you are yet to provide an example of absolute nothingness...
Quote:
I may have given the wrong impression. I don’t mean to say nothingness requires no justification, only positing the state. I guess I’m not alone because some perfectly serious cosmologists maintain that the Universe popped into existence out of nothing

The scientists you talking about are all taking a step back now...catch up !
You didn't posit a state but you claim to have been referring to one...

Quote:
at the very least you ought to say here I cannot justify it but here it is !
Quote:
It seems you’re asking me to point to something that probably doesn’t exist

Are you saying that nothing doesn't exist ? I ask you to point to nothing !

Quote:
Where is it ?
Quote:
Not sure it’s anywhere

Well that settles it !

Quote:
What is it ?
Quote:
Nothing

...its a word...and meaningless so far...

Quote:
You are pointing into a sort of "meta X" based on a gut feeling aren't you ?
Quote:
Sort of

not good enough...and it was an irony...

Quote:
...that is, for every thing that I can enumerate ad infinity I can think of a corresponding negative function.
Quote:
I’m not sure it’s necessary but I guess the opposite of nothing is something

Not sure about that, don't know what nothing is, yeah you are guessing !...
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
@dalehileman,
Let me repeat, for the third time I think, an answer (in the form of a thought experiment) I gave to a question about the end or edge of the universe: If a hypothetical (fantastical) spaceship could transport us to the end of the universe it could not, either in fact or in principle, take us outside of the universe (qua the "everything"). It could not do so because it would simply be expanding the universe however far it goes. That is to say that the universe is not simply a space, context, or venue in which everything--including ourselves and our spaceship--occurs. The universe consists of its very content. It IS the spaceship and its occupants such that where the ship and crew is or goes the universe is also.
At least that's the subjective "truth" for me at this time.
georgee

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:30 pm
@Nothingsomething,
Suppose God doesn't exist. Would It's non-existence exist? Now you see that the question leads to tautology. If nothing exist, then, vice versa, something that exist coul not exist at the same time Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
It could not do so because it would simply be expanding the universe
Forgive me JL but that doesn’t make sense to me. In a finite Universe the ship would simply follow a curved path indefinitely. There’s no “edge” or “end”

The ship can’t take us outside ‘cause there isn’t any outside
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:52 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
agreed...good reply to Cyr !
Thank you Fil

Quote:
You can't maintain any claim towards something you can't describe what it is...
A state of nothingness isn’t anything

Quote:
You often reply nothing is nothing...
Did I say that

A state of nothingness is the absence of anything

Quote:
You didn't posit a state but you claim to have been referring to one...
Maybe “posit” isn’t the right word. I’ll agree though that “state of nothingness’ does sound wierd. It’s probably a semantic thing

Quote:
Are you saying that nothing doesn't exist ?
Not exactly

Quote:
I ask you to point to nothing !
I’d often wondered, if there were a space somewhere—say a cubic mile--that suddenly ceased to exist—became nothing—would the space around it rush in to fill it

Quote:
...its a word...and meaningless so far...
To me it’s not. To me it makes perfect sense to assert the lack of a Universe would constitute nothingness
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
yeah you are guessing !...
Yes I guess it’s largely guesswork, anything like this being hard to discuss for semantic reason and depending largely on intuition or as you say, “gut feeling”

But intuition is immensely valuable. Without it we’d still be living in caves and batting each other with wooden clubs
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@dalehileman,
I suppose you're right if the finite universe is curved and not as my thought experiment assumed it to be. Like you I also concluded that the universe has no "outside" but in a different sense.
Good thing I have no investment in my model. Thanks.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 06:24 pm
@JLNobody,
I personally overcome this problem of temporal expansion forward by trying to imagine an ensemble of all possible times and the maximum arch of expansion fulfilled...that was when it struck me...there is no outside ! Of course "my" model has no infinite expansion but is the cyclic Big Bounce model...indeed a spacecraft would be of no use to go to the "edge", as the space being curved there is no edge or frontier... but no worries there JL, just imagine "you" are the space itself and you can maintain your question...so no solution in sight unless you realise time is tricky...realising time is something that we experience and trying to imagine an ensemble I got to realise there is no true movement nor outside of everything...equally I realise there is no beginning nor end the whole thing just goes on forever through this phenomenal apparent cycle...without time it doesn't even move, it can't grow towards nothing...it would require such nothingness had the property of allowing it through it as space does...but obviously nothingness having no property's wouldn't allow movement through it at all...so yes no outside is my conclusion...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 06:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...another perhaps more sophisticated way of going through the whole matter, once not dependent on the value of the curvature of space, imply s trying to foresee all possible arrangements of geometry in the universe and conclude every time that cycle finishes it repeats, again no outside...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 07:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
If the Universe is finite, there’s nothing outside it. There is no outside

If the Universe is infinite then the q isn’t applicable

I see you understand the logical errors behind that question. I brought it up because I think there are similar errors behind the idea of absolute nothingness. It is like imagining fire without something that burns.

Quote:
I think we’re in a kind of semantic quandary. Perhaps subconsciously you’re thinking of nothingness, a sort of void, outside the Universe. But there simply isn’t an outside

Semantic quagmire is more like it. It is unavoidable whenever we start talking about the meaning of the word 'nothing'.
Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 08:01 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
yeah you are guessing !...
Yes I guess it’s largely guesswork, anything like this being hard to discuss for semantic reason and depending largely on intuition or as you say, “gut feeling”

But intuition is immensely valuable. Without it we’d still be living in caves and batting each other with wooden clubs

Survival instinct and reflex action came first, and thousands of years later, intuition, that's the way it is in my book, "It Started With Pain."
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 09:04 pm
I hate to be such a party pooper, but the entire language of cosmology is, as far as I'm concerned, an exercise in psychosemantics Rolling Eyes . Finite and infinte in particular cannot, as I sense it, describe the grandest structure of Reality--nor can "grandest structure." Mr. Green
I also wonder to what extent astrophysics is served by mathematics, the so-called language of nature.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 02:10 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I hate to be such a party pooper, but the entire language of cosmology is, as far as I'm concerned, an exercise in psychosemantics Rolling Eyes . Finite and infinte in particular cannot, as I sense it, describe the grandest structure of Reality--nor can "grandest structure." Mr. Green
I also wonder to what extent astrophysics is served by mathematics, the so-called language of nature.

Well you are entitled as much as anybody else to have your own opinions but it would be far more gratifying if at least you tried to make an argument along with the claim...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 03:20 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
the entire language of cosmology is, as far as I'm concerned, an exercise in psychosemantics

I agree. Some people tend to overlook the consideration that even though all the facts are sound, our fitting them together into a comprehensive theory involves much more than the facts themselves. It involves us using them to the best of our ability to understand how they can be fitted together.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:36 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Good thing I have no investment in my model. Thanks.
Not at all
I avoid investments of any kind
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:41 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
I see you understand the logical errors behind that question.
Not well however

Quote:
I brought it up because I think there are similar errors behind the idea of absolute nothingness. It is like imagining fire without something that burns.
Yes it is surely very difficult to entertain much less imagine visually. Yet I see neither contradiction nor paradox in the suggestion that nothingness seems a whole lot easier to explain
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:43 am
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
later, intuition, that's the way it is in my book, "It Started With Pain."
Interesting observation Rick. Can you Fwd me excerpts

I am [email protected] and apparently don’t care who knows it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:50 am
Quote:
I hate to be such a party pooper,
Its ok

Quote:
but the entire language of cosmology is as far as I'm concerned an exercise in psychosemantics.
Well put

Quote:
Finite and infinte in particular cannot, as I sense it, describe the grandest structure of Reality—
Why not
To me the distinction is perfectly reasonable

Quote:
nor can "grandest structure.”
...but I like it ok

Quote:
The trouble with pure math is that it rejects Intuition. Math tells us that if the Universe is infinite and that if anything can happen, will happen, then at this moment there are an infinite number of every possible galaxy; which Intuition emphatically rejects, suggesting either there’s something wrong with the math or that the Universe is finite, or both
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 10:53 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
the facts themselves. It involves us using them to the best of our ability to understand how they can be fitted together.
Using our Intuition, greatly devalued by the cosmological pundits