What is "nothing"

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:23 am
@JLNobody,
I tend to think of the term "nothing" as "zero value of a specified something". I suspect that every time the word "nothing" is used meaningfully, the context allows us to specify a particular thing it is used about.

JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:02 am
@Cyracuz,
Also, does "thingness" suggest that "something" has phenomenal value--i.e., it can be experienced by us--or that it has mass--i.e., that it can affect something else? Gasp. Are we not just digging intellectual holes for ourselves"
JLNobody

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:07 am
@Cyracuz,
You refer to the "zero value" of SOMETHING specific. Is there also a complementary symbol for EVERYTHING (an equivalence of the temporal notion of infinity)?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:34 am
@JLNobody,
Perhaps we are digging intellectual holes. If so, I suspect I fell into one at some point. But according to my thinking, "thingness" is an attribute we can ascribe to some experiences, or some aspects of experiences.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:24 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Good points.
Why thank you JL, a note of encouragement is rare and appreciated in this quotidian miasma of hermeneutic contretemps

Quote:
...lack of knowledge of physics is a problem for philosophers—as well as lack of philosophy being a problem for physicists.
Well put indeed

Quote:
It also seems that at a naive level of consciousness (my level)
Don’t underrate it

Quote:
"nothing" is the "absence" of "something".
I might have said “anything"

Quote:
And perhaps "some-thing" is the absense of something else.
Here we get into semantics again

Quote:
Also, does "thingness" suggest that "something" has phenomenal value--i.e., it can be experienced by us—
o

r that it has mass--i.e.,
I’d call it the vernacular. Incidentally I leave the “o” separated from the “r” to demonstrate a particularly annoying software glitch I’ve encountered scores of not hundreds of times, hoping that an admin participant might take upon himherself

Quote:
that it can affect something else? Gasp. Are we not just digging intellectual holes for ourselves"
Semantic holes
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:26 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
I tend to think of the term "nothing" as "zero value of a specified something"
Yea Cyr, shows how Semantics rears its ugly head. Many of us think of nothing as the absence of anything, even space
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
@dalehileman,
All I'm saying is that before you can say "I don't have any", there has to be defined, during the course of the conversation, what "any" refers to.

"Does anyone have a cigarette?"

"Sorry, I got nothing."

In that exchange, nothing refers to 'cigarette'. There is no immediate clarity as to what the term 'nothing' refers to beyond that.
What the words 'nothing' and 'everything' refer to at any given time isn't intrinsic to the definitions of those words; it is given by the context in which those words are used.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 09:30 am
@Cyracuz,
I’m sure you’re quite right Cyr but it seems most postings in this thread involve a more nearly absolute meaning, the absence of anything at all, and whether such a “condition” can in fact occur
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:07 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
it seems most postings in this thread involve a more nearly absolute meaning, the absence of anything at all, and whether such a “condition” can in fact occur

Ok. Fair point. I do not concern myself with those question though, as it seems to me that concepts such as 'nothing' and 'everything' only have meaning in relation to other concepts. If you remove that relation, which is what happens when you speak about "the absence of anything at all", it simply doesn't make sense.
Similarly, if we speak of "absolutely everything" we have no relation to anything that is "outside everything", because there can be nothing outside 'absolutely everything', by definition.

Absolutes of this nature are linguistically untouchable. The best we can ever hope for is approximations by means of parables and examples, and that almost always ends up with us driving the train further than the rails go.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:19 am
@Cyracuz,
Delightful and insightful post. Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:38 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Ok. Fair point.
Why thank you Cyr, a welcome comment in this punic persiflage of cognitive recrudescence

Quote:
......such as 'nothing' and 'everything' only have meaning in relation to other concepts.
I’m not quite sure I understand but in any case when I assert that it’s possible to imagine a state of nothingness I mean it in an absolute way with no special reference to another concept

Quote:
If you remove that relation, which is what happens when you speak about "the absence of anything at all", it simply doesn't make sense.
I’m still a bit confused because it makes perfect sense to me. In fact the crucial and most painful query to philosophical uptake is, “Why should there be anything at all”

Thus without invoking God etc the state of nothingness seems much more likely than the presence of something—the Universe—since it requires no explication

Quote:
Similarly, if we speak of "absolutely everything" we have no relation to anything that is "outside everything", because there can be nothing outside 'absolutely everything', by definition.
Yes I agree but you’ll have to explain in language suited to the Average Clod (me) why that means I can’t posit nothingness

Quote:
Absolutes of this nature are linguistically untouchable.
Especially where so many participants (no not you Cyr) use vague philosophical language to explain a position better expressed in everyday terms

Quote:
The best we can ever hope for is approximations by means of parables and examples, and that almost always ends up with us driving the train further than the rails go.
Well put
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Yes I agree but you’ll have to explain in language suited to the Average Clod (me) why that means I can’t posit nothingness

Quote:
Especially where so many participants (no not you Cyr) use vague philosophical language to explain a position better expressed in everyday terms

0 - Laughing

1 - I think you are the one needing to explain how is it that Nothingness can exist being granted that existing requires thingness...

2 - Justifying claim X through X is a tautology not an explanation !

3 - Equally you would have to explain how is it that you assert that nothingness requires no justification if you are yet to provide an example of absolute nothingness...at the very least you ought to say here I cannot justify it but here it is ! Where is it ? What is it ?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Sorry Fil, you’ve quoted me in 2 places but apparently somehow your reply got deleted
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:03 am
@dalehileman,
...get back to it I was adding stuff as usual...knock yourself out ! Wink
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Insofar you have a word with supposedly X value...
But its not a question of not knowing X size...lets jump that as a friends agreement shall we...what then ? well the problem is that you haven't started to enumerate X !!!
You are pointing into a sort of "meta X" based on a gut feeling aren't you ?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Rather the problem goes as follow :
No thing seems to be an onto negative function of thingness...that is, for every thing that I can enumerate ad infinity I can think of a corresponding negative function.
Such that, for X thingness, there is always a -F (negative function) infinetly corresponding...
...and yet still, F is always subjected to relate with X...such that F cannot exist if not X !
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...get back to it I was adding stuff as usual...knock yourself out !
Yea I do that too

Quote:
1 - I think you are the one needing to explain how is it that Nothingness can exist......
I didn’t assert that it can exist. Certainly it’s doubtful it can be “found” anywhere in the Universe. I only maintain that it’s perfectly rational and easily more acceptable to suppose a state of nothingness; no matter, no space, nothing

Quote:
2 - Justifying claim X through X is a tautology not an explanation !
Wasn’t aware I did that. You might provide an example

Quote:
3 - Equally you would have to explain how is it that you assert that nothingness requires no justification if you are yet to provide an example of absolute nothingness...
I may have given the wrong impression. I don’t mean to say nothingness requires no justification, only positing the state. I guess I’m not alone because some perfectly serious cosmologists maintain that the Universe popped into existence out of nothing

Quote:
at the very least you ought to say here I cannot justify it but here it is !
It seems you’re asking me to point to something that probably doesn’t exist

Quote:
Where is it ?
Not sure it’s anywhere

Quote:
What is it ?
Nothing

Quote:
You are pointing into a sort of "meta X" based on a gut feeling aren't you ?
Sort of

Quote:
...that is, for every thing that I can enumerate ad infinity I can think of a corresponding negative function.
I’m not sure it’s necessary but I guess the opposite of nothing is something
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Fil regarding 197 and 217, there may be some language difficulty doubtless owing at least partly to my unfamiliarity with the jargon of cosmology. Perhaps another participant could translate them into terms the Ordinary Blockhead (me ) might better comprehend

Cyr and JL, our only followers by now, evidently don’t wish to undertake the project
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I’m not quite sure I understand but in any case when I assert that it’s possible to imagine a state of nothingness I mean it in an absolute way with no special reference to another concept

It is possible to imagine the whole universe as 'everything'. Then it's possible to ask, "but what lies beyond the edge of the universe?"
But if there lies something beyond 'everything' then 'everything' isn't 'everything'.
That is an example of what I mean when I say we drive the train further than the rails go. We apply logic that works in scenarios we think are similar...
dalehileman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
It is possible to imagine the whole universe as 'everything'.
Sure, at least that’s how I see it

Quote:
Then it's possible to ask, "but what lies beyond the edge of the universe?"
If the Universe is finite, there’s nothing outside it. There is no outside

If the Universe is infinite then the q isn’t applicable

Quote:
But if there lies something beyond 'everything' then 'everything' isn't 'everything'.
But there doesn't

Quote:
That is an example of what I mean when I say we drive the train further than the rails go.
I think we’re in a kind of semantic quandary. Perhaps subconsciously you’re thinking of nothingness, a sort of void, outside the Universe. But there simply isn’t an outside

Quote:
We apply logic that works in scenarios we think are similar...
Sorry but that comment leaves me in the void