What is "nothing"

mark noble

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:37 pm
@DavJohanis,
All that is not pain..... is pleasure.
Pain, when it calls, just prevents complacency taking shape:)

I bloody well loathe toothache though!
DavJohanis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:57 pm
@mark noble,
Well you have it then.. if your itchingly warm self, stings every minute and you think it is pleasure, then you are a step from the edge only, truth is superiority, I have been reading.
mark noble

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:06 pm
@DavJohanis,
Huh?
Merely stating that pleasure is the absence of pain, yet pain is a harsh reminder of that humility lost.
Not saying I like pain.

Huh?
DavJohanis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:13 pm
@mark noble,
I cannot see that in ur post there.. But, OK.
mark noble

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:20 pm
@DavJohanis,
HOW?

First line - 'All that is N O T pain.... is pleasure'
See it now?

Anyway, we are disrupting this thread.
cya.
imans

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 04:42 pm
@mark noble,
u cant think but in terms of oppositions simply bc u never think even one second
u belong to the kind that jump first to get anything meaning that later by holdin it u would think ur existence while u get stuck in truth by havin to exist only by makin the forms of ur jumps on anything

what is not pain is never pleasure, when pain goes with pleasure in certain relative dimension of true means
truth by definition is what kills all oppositions by smthg else that all oppositions share

nothing dont know pain while nothing is present reality still and relatively free
like death is no pain while surely opposite to pleasure

thinking by usin opposites way reveal criminals kind, being what essentially mean livings by killin else existence, so havin pleasure sense from movin to destroy smthg real

and actually it ends up one bc opposites is the same thing in truth
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:55 pm
@mark noble,
Is it the absence of pain that is pleasure or the removal of pain?
JLNobody

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:59 am
@JLNobody,
Let me suggest that nothing is the flip side of something. All forms (objects of experience) are constantly changing (quickly and slowly). The very process of change means that a form (which we perceive as a static "thing") is both something and nothing. This principle, as I understand it, is at the heart of the Buddhist metaphysic, as expressed in the Heart (Hridaya) Sutra:...form is [exactlly] emptiness, emptiness is [exactly] form.
imans

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:06 pm
@JLNobody,
u dont accept the truth, superiority

for smthg to b it cant stay constant so it cant b physical, but if superiority is true then freedom would b positive constant present
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:11 pm
@mark noble,
Oh right, yeah, missed it, sorry.
Mental shift occurred just now.. I will not be able to see that always.
There is another viewpoint about that, which probably gives Imans a huge itch in the head.

Imans, I almost believe your second to last post this time.
Well put.

I am Davjohanis, I was testing a theory.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
a form …….is both something and nothing. This principle, as I understand it, is at the heart of the Buddhist metaphysic
Including the Zen folk as I understand it (which however is very poorly). Our problem Tod, could be one of duality: We think of almost anything as either real or not; whereas instead it lies on a scale of abstraction with the rock near one end and God as The Being Transcendental near the other
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 05:36 pm
Another interesting factoid. The Maya symbol for "zero" (which they invented independently) is an empty seashell. I wonder if they ever noticed that when a shell is shattered the space defined by the interior of the shell evolves into the infinite or indefinite nothingness.

(I made this comment years ago)
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 05:48 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
defined by the interior of the shell evolves into the infinite or indefinite nothingness.
Very interesting JL, much as I've wondered, if we could somehow find a small volume of motionless space, then somehow destroy it, would the space around it rush in to fill the void

I hope that doesn't sound as dumb as it probably does. However I'm not entirely sure: For instance a particle "occupies" space but does it contain it

Thus could gravity result in an area from which matter has "pushed aside" space
JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 07:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Doesn't sound dumb at all; it sounds creative, playful, inventive. The kind of hypothesis construction resulting from an intoxicated leap rather than a cautiously sober induction.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:18 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
resulting from an intoxicated leap rather than a cautiously sober induction.
Why thank you JL. While I surely can't be accused of the latter, I am ineluctably perspicuous of the former's implication, contrary to the customary insensate conflation of hermeneutic recrudescence ordinarily ensuant to my incessant dysphoric persiflage
JLNobody

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Yep, intoxicated.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:45 pm
@JLNobody,
…..But playfully
JLNobody

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Of course. That is essentially what A2K is, intellectual and social play.
Happy New Year, dale...
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:58 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Of course. That is essentially what A2K is, intellectual and social play.
A most remarkable medium

Quote:
Happy New Year, dale...
Thanks JL, to you and yours as well
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:28 pm
0 Replies