What does "softening" refer to?

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:12 am
Context:

Stru¨ mpell’s testimony
Dr Adolf von Stru¨mpell an eminent neurologist and internist from Leipzig mentioned in his 1925 memoirs the medical consultation in Moscowjust briefly. However, sections from his diary were published in 1974 by
his daughters Dr Regina Stru¨mpell and Dr Anna Klapheck from Dusseldorf (Strumpell and Klapheck, 1974). There he noted the first medical consultation with the Russian professors Kramer and Kozhevnikov: March 20, 1923 – Endarteritis luetica with softening is very probable, although the diagnosis of lues is uncertain . The next day he examined Lenin in his apartment.Lenin extended his left hand to him in a friendly manner. Right hemiplegia and near-complete motor aphasia with right hemianopsia were diagnosed.
The same afternoon, the full team of consultants met and discussed endarteritis luetica with secondary softening as the highly likely diagnosis. However, this diagnosis remained uncertain as the CSF was normal and Wass-erman’s test was negative but in tertiary syphilis Wasserman’s test in the CSF is false negative in 34–90%, while as in blood tests only 5% are false negatives (Sepp et al., 1950; Lishman, 1987; Isselbacher et al., 1994; Stoudemire et al., 2000).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,431 • Replies: 8
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:34 am
@oristarA,
"Endarteritis luetica" is a medical condition and "softening" is a qualifier about that conditioning. It might mean that the condition is at a more advanced stage. Maybe a doctor will respond with the medical meaning.
oristarA

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 09:22 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

"Endarteritis luetica" is a medical condition and "softening" is a qualifier about that conditioning. It might mean that the condition is at a more advanced stage. Maybe a doctor will respond with the medical meaning.

We have JPB here, but better pray for her presence.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 01:28 am
@oristarA,

It's a medical thing. You don't have to worry about it.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/3-4/608.extract
contrex

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:14 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It's a medical thing. You don't have to worry about it.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/3-4/608.extract

he's a medical student, I believe.

contrex

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:20 am
This seems to be about whether Lenin died of syphilis. Possibly the softening is of part (the left hemisphere) of the brain.

Can you see this image? It is part of page 29 of the Google Books hosted version of sections of "Cécile and Oskar Vogt: The Visionaries of Modern Neuroscience" by Igor Klatzo and Gabriele Zu Rhein (Springer 2002)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/LeninSyphilis.jpg
McTag

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:38 am
@contrex,

Quote:
he's a medical student, I believe.

He is ? I thought he was a translator of diverse texts, some of them medical.

Most, obscure.

Through the A2K College and by other means, I think Oristar has now got a better grasp of English than most Brits (and almost all Americans Wink )
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:32 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
This seems to be about whether Lenin died of syphilis.
Hitler wud have also,
if he had not first died from a gunshot wound.
That is Y he kept Dr. Theodor Morell around.
Maybe Hitler & Lenin had been getting it on together.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 10:48 pm
Hurrah for A2K College ! Wink
0 Replies