Telling the difference between someone who is lonely VS someone who has genuine interest in you?

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:16 pm
Peoples always say that if a person really likes you they text you. They make time for you. They call you. Go out of their way to see you. While I do think if someone DOES NOT DO THIS it does mean they do not have a high level of interest in you or an interest at all, but Im not sure if someone doing this automatically means they have genuine feelings for you.

I know people who chase others because they are lonely and just need someone....no matter who it is. People who will text and call you all day because yes they want your attention, they want to be with you but more specifically they just need the attention from someone. Or maybe they are not attention hungry or lonely. Maybe that is just their personality...they are just affectionate and loving and were raised to be very free with their emotions and affection. Not that anything is wrong with this, but I feel like I need to know how to differentiate someone who acts like this due to loneliness (or are just naturally very loving) VS. someone who gives you affection because they are really head over heels for you.

I feel its easy to tell apart attention someone gives you when they want something such as sex, money, or favors from genuine interest but its not so easy to tell apart affection that is given because they are lonely and attention hungry vs attention that is given because the person is genuinely dazzled by you. Especially someone who is just lonely. Because they really do want you attention and affection...Only it has nothing to do with you as a person only to do with filling a void for them....and anyone can do it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 11,684 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:22 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
what if they are lonely and dazzled by you?
ForbiddenGarden

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:40 pm
@Rockhead,
Then I guess that does not apply to my question.
engineer

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:40 am
@ForbiddenGarden,
What is your question? You have a nice article there but I don't see anything you want to open up to discussion.

If you want to know if someone has a genuine interest in you, it doesn't have anything to do with the number of texts they send (although if they sent zero texts and called sometimes that probably means they are much more interested in you than if they sent a hundred texts and never actually spoke with you.) If they ask about you instead of talking about themselves, that is a good sign.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 09:38 am
@engineer,
Exactly!

My daughter sent around 50 text messages in a relative short time to her friend. She wasn't lonely or showed genuine interest in her friend - she was bored out of her mind in class. (needless to say the phone was taken away from her....)

Texting is just another way of communicating, that's all. If you want to find out who is genuinely interested in you, go for other pointers.
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:44 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
The 'eyes' have it!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:19 am
Aha!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 04:48 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
Even true friends end up busy in life and stop texting or can't go out of their way to see you, children are born, life changes, both parties work.. But that doesn't mean that they are no longer "true" friends...

What you are stating I think, it's you can tell if they are texting you all the time for self gain, sex, money.. But, you can't work out when someone is texting you for you, because they like you, it's not out of any gain, or lonliness and how do you differentuate that..

Someone answered you. It's in the eyes.

0 Replies

ForbiddenGarden

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 04:16 pm
@engineer,
Ok, for example. Lets say ur a kid moving to a new school. And ur kinda shy and hard to make friends with so even after 1 month you only have one person who you hang out with on a regular basis. Chances are whether you genuinely like that person or not, it doesn't matter--because they are ur only option you will be texting them all the time and trying to hang out with them. You spend time with them and ask them questions about themselves. But u know deep down, there is another group of kids you would so much more rather be involved with and if they ever started showing interest in hanging out with you, you'd let the friendship with this other person fade. OR maybe, you do have lots of options in friends. You have all the friends you'd ever need but you are someone who just constantly needs attention and to be paid mind to so you are always texting/calling people. The people you are always calling may feel special but little do they know u are like that with everyone... This not apply to me, this is just an example.

So the person IS paying attention to u. They ARE texting you. Spending time with you, making effort to be around you--but that doesn't mean its genuine. It could also mean they are either low on options (lonely) or someone with great need for affection. It has little to do with you as a person. Does that make any sense? I hope I explained it well.
0 Replies